NY Mayor unveils plan to confront gun violence

Otis Mayfield

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2021
Mr. Adams’s plan included the restoration of an anti-gun police unit, and called on state lawmakers to make a number of changes, including to New York’s bail law and to a law that altered how the state handles teenage defendants.

“I want to be clear: This is not just a plan for the future — it is a plan for right now,” the mayor said. “Gun violence is a public health crisis. There is no time to wait.”

“If you’re walking around Manhattan with a gun, you’re going to be prosecuted and we’re going to hold you accountable in what I would say is the traditional sense,” Mr. Bragg said on Monday.

Many of the issues that are helping to fuel the current spike in violent crime are complex — including how to assist New Yorkers with mental health problems and the omnipresence of guns — and will be difficult to fix quickly.

Mr. Adams, a former police captain, called on the courts and state lawmakers to take gun offenses more seriously. He said that he would appoint judges who wanted to keep violent criminals off the streets, and would work with state lawmakers to change laws concerning bail for defendants who are considered dangerous, and the minimum age that someone can be charged as an adult.

Bolded the important stuff.

So, gun violence is way up in New York during the COVID years.

Do you think this is the right approach to reducing gun murders?

The DA in New York has a different view indeed, particularly when it comes to armed CRIMINALS.

Arresting law-abiders who leave their hotel rooms or homes with a firearm to protect themselves in the tough streets of New York will just embolden the criminal class.

Of course, I'm not going to go to New York, so I largely don't give a shit. But it will be living hell on earth for NY based lawabiders who are being threatened for merely defending themselves.

Mr. Adams’s plan included the restoration of an anti-gun police unit, and called on state lawmakers to make a number of changes, including to New York’s bail law and to a law that altered how the state handles teenage defendants.

“I want to be clear: This is not just a plan for the future — it is a plan for right now,” the mayor said. “Gun violence is a public health crisis. There is no time to wait.”

“If you’re walking around Manhattan with a gun, you’re going to be prosecuted and we’re going to hold you accountable in what I would say is the traditional sense,” Mr. Bragg said on Monday.

Many of the issues that are helping to fuel the current spike in violent crime are complex — including how to assist New Yorkers with mental health problems and the omnipresence of guns — and will be difficult to fix quickly.

Mr. Adams, a former police captain, called on the courts and state lawmakers to take gun offenses more seriously. He said that he would appoint judges who wanted to keep violent criminals off the streets, and would work with state lawmakers to change laws concerning bail for defendants who are considered dangerous, and the minimum age that someone can be charged as an adult.

At least he's only talking about illegal guns, but NYC gun laws are so obtuse getting a legal firearm is a task in and of itself.

Sooner or later he will call for a gun ban in the entire city, because that's what progs do.

The mayor is saying all the stuff 2aguy says all the time.

Maybe the mayor is 2aguy?

The mayor is saying all the stuff 2aguy says all the time.

Maybe the mayor is 2aguy?
I'll wait and see because traditionally when any ultra-liberal politician discusses gun control it's often like when they discuss taxing the rich. Those which are targeted by the legislation are rarely the ones who are affected by it.

I'll wait and see because traditionally when any ultra-liberal politician discusses gun control it's often like when they discuss taxing the rich. Those which are targeted by the legislation are rarely the ones who are affected by it.

I think the mayor is sincere; however, I don't think he'll get all his initiatives put into law. All those extreme left wing city council members will do everything they can to fight the mayor's proposals.

If one or two of his proposals see the light of day, I'll be surprised.

Still, it's nice to see a politician who understands what needs to be done. Even if he's only one guy.

Pro-gun people should throw him all the support they can. It would be a good look for the pro-gun movement if nothing else.

I think the mayor is sincere; however, I don't think he'll get all his initiatives put into law. All those extreme left wing city council members will do everything they can to fight the mayor's proposals.

If one or two of his proposals see the light of day, I'll be surprised.

Still, it's nice to see a politician who understands what needs to be done. Even if he's only one guy.

Pro-gun people should throw him all the support they can. It would be a good look for the pro-gun movement if nothing else.
We'll see. He's a politician which to me means "do not trust, do not take at face value".

A ton of progressives are against it. They failed against the City’s “Anti Crime Unit” because some cops did abuse their power in those undercover cases. A great part of the objection is the invasion of the “PO-lice” into largely minority communities.

This new mayor is going to be rubbing the fur of these progressive social Justice warriors the wrong way. But I’m not sure how you can both address the gun violence problems in the various communities (including the higher crime communities which have historically been minority communities) AND still not have more police present there to do police work.

A ton of progressives are against it. They failed against the City’s “Anti Crime Unit” because some cops did abuse their power in those undercover cases. A great part of the objection is the invasion of the “PO-lice” into largely minority communities.

This new mayor is going to be rubbing the fur of these progressive social Justice warriors the wrong way. But I’m not sure how you can both address the gun violence problems in the various communities (including the higher crime communities which have historically been minority communities) AND still not have more police present there to do police work.

The difference is those minority communities have been reminded that when the police are leashed it's their communities that suffer the most. The activists will still throw shit fits, but the actual people I believe will actually want these units back in their neighborhoods.

People forgot what a shit show NYC was in the 70's and 80's. They needed a reminder.

Eric Adams will try his best and hopefully will experience some measure of success.

He'll never be able to make it happen as long as pro-crime DemoKKKrats run that shithole.

The difference is those minority communities have been reminded that when the police are leashed it's their communities that suffer the most. The activists will still throw shit fits, but the actual people I believe will actually want these units back in their neighborhoods.

People forgot what a shit show NYC was in the 70's and 80's. They needed a reminder.
I agree. I am obviously not a spokesman for any minority community. But here’s the thing: neither are the fucking progressive social Justice warriors.

I can only apply common sense. Regardless of race, most people want their own community to be as crime free as possible (consistent with freedom and Liberty, of course). If some asshole is firing a gun on a public street, most people (white, black, Hispanic, Asian … whatever) WANT A cop to stop the asshole from injuring or killing a loved one or a neighbor.

I agree. I am obviously not a spokesman for any minority community. But here’s the thing: neither are the fucking progressive social Justice warriors.

I can only apply common sense. Regardless of race, most people want their own community to be as crime free as possible (consistent with freedom and Liberty, of course). If some asshole is firing a gun on a public street, most people (white, black, Hispanic, Asian … whatever) WANT A cop to stop the asshole from injuring or killing a loved one or a neighbor.

100% agree. Progressives tend to want to be spokespeople for groups that usually don't voice their own needs and views enough, or can't voice said needs.

Why do you think so many get into environmental activism and animal rights? Those are the perfect advocacy jobs because the things you are advocating can't be countered by the things themselves.

It's not up because of Covid....the increase began in 2015 when the democrat party decided to attack the police around the count4ry and to put into hyperdrive their policies of releasing known, repeat, violent gun offenders.........the Chinese flu had nothing to do with the increase in democrat party controlled cities.....

Stop-and-frisk

Forum List

Back