Not open to further replies!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm so happy I don't have to go through a 20 post chain and sometimes not seeing my own post to respond

Thank you

I would more hope that the mods provide a link to the main thread, when duplicates are shut down. I know it's more work, but that's how most boards do.
training manual asks for mods to leave REDIRECTS for a minimum of 6 hours.. That means the merged threads are STILL in the listings for that long, but falling in the rankings. After that redirect expires, ANY LINK to a post in a merged thread (like an alert in the InBox) will STILL get you to the new combined thread..

When someone creates a thread in current evens. Then someone does the same on Poli. Than another ass hole does 1 in breaking news. What happens??.

Are we supposed to search 5 boards first???..I know we have the new thread detector which seems to be not working. Doing a research project before creating an OP shouldn't be.

Can I make a suggestion? Any thread that does not meet the requirement of that particular board. Or doesn't have a link forgotten by accident or anything. Can't we just send them to the bottom 3 urinals automatically?

So embarrassing to make a small boo boo and see that op comment. Why cant we do that instead of humiliation??

Then you have to pray the thread will be where it started 20 min later?????

My solution is just post OPs in Badlands. Set it and forget it!

Thanky

Sloopy, when you start a thread, just do a search on 1-3 keywords pivotal to your topic. If nothing on the returned list duplicates what you want to talk about, you're almost certainly OK.
That doesn’t work most of the time.

When someone creates a thread in current evens. Then someone does the same on Poli. Than another ass hole does 1 in breaking news. What happens??.

Are we supposed to search 5 boards first???..I know we have the new thread detector which seems to be not working. Doing a research project before creating an OP shouldn't be.

Can I make a suggestion? Any thread that does not meet the requirement of that particular board. Or doesn't have a link forgotten by accident or anything. Can't we just send them to the bottom 3 urinals automatically?

So embarrassing to make a small boo boo and see that op comment. Why cant we do that instead of humiliation??

Thanky

Sloopy, when you start a thread, just do a search on 1-3 keywords pivotal to your topic. If nothing on the returned list duplicates what you want to talk about, you're almost certainly OK.

It works nearly 100% of the time for me.

Thanky

Good for you. But when people don’t accurately describe a headline and only provide a link then the search is no good. Yet Mods often just close threads and don’t link to that existing thread, and they often don’t merge threads.

Thanky

Good for you. But when people don’t accurately describe a headline and only provide a link then the search is no good. Yet Mods often just close threads and don’t link to that existing thread, and they often don’t merge threads.

Totally right. It is a rule here that the OP's title should "contain sufficient clues about the actual intended discussion," but a lot of people don't always do that, don't always create keywords for the thread, we don't have 100 mods to track every rule in every post, and it is sometimes hard to do that anyway for various reasons, that's why I never search keywords just in the title but in the body of the posts, as well as other methods. I make a reasonable effort using a few different techniques (SEARCH is just one of them), and to date, I've had good success and don't remember a single thread of mine being closed for absolute duplicity.

A number of times, I intended to create threads but found another thread CLOSE ENOUGH to just include my comments THERE.

Also, I think the search engine here may be improved now.

Another thing I've wondered is if the OS and browser being used by the user may affect the efficacy of the search due to incompatibility issues? End result: there are no guarantees, but I try, and usually have pretty good results.

Exactly WHAT are the "rules" for a post getting shut down as "no further replies"?????

I've seen MANY posts that weren't duplicates, didn't have nasty language in them, wasn't attacking anyone, etc.............and was shut down as "no further replies" after one or two replies on their post.

Thanky

If you search from Homepage for key words -- you SHOULD find all the open topics that are similar. BETTER to use the ADVANCED search and set the date to SINCE 5 days or something like that. It works pretty darn good.

And then there's that NEW feature that nags you when you're CREATING a new thread. As soon as you type your TITLE -- IT GIVES YOU THE CURRENT OPEN THREADS it thinks are similar.

I think most people are ignoring that fancy new tool that we paid $19.95 plus S&H for. TRY IT..

As far as closing vs merging new identical topics, we tend to merge EVERYTHING unless that topic has been active for more than a couple days and folks are STILL duplicating it. Or one of the original merge threads has some issue with the "clean start" policy or a very weak OPost that could just be a COMMENT in any of the other merged threads.

I've been on other forums where nobody cares about duplicate threads. Only the fittest one survives, and the other ones fade away into history naturally. The fittest one that survives is usually better discussion than a usmb style merged mess, but it doesn't really matter much anyway, since they all fade away eventually.

I have seen several threads posted in Breaking News get canned because another similar thread was already posted in some other forum, even when the topic was a breaking news event that qualifies as breaking news.

After a lot of consideration, USMB Staff has decided to try an alternate format for this Front Page forum. The purpose of having a Front Page Forum is to attract new eyes and views and have something fresh, informative and up to date in that spot.
It seems to me that an important Breaking News thread should be allowed in the Breaking News forum even if there is another thread in another forum covering the same topic so that the purpose of the Breaking News forum can be fulfilled.

I have seen several threads posted in Breaking News get canned because another similar thread was already posted in some other forum, even when the topic was a breaking news event that qualifies as breaking news.
It seems to me that an important Breaking News thread should be allowed in the Breaking News forum even if there is another thread in another forum covering the same topic so that the purpose of the Breaking News forum can be fulfilled.

Joe, I see you are trying to approach this from a very rational POV. Please understand that much like how the Federal government spends billions and trillions every year pursuing policies all over the planet which have absolutely no bearing on the actual needs or wishes nor betterment of those whom pay the taxation nor was ever revealed as their intention when running for election, I highly doubt that those calling the shots here design this forum or amend it according to what the members here need, want or desire most, except trivially, whenever it can be rather easily effected without causing deviation from the larger corporate plan.

This forum is pretty good overall, maybe one of the best of its type, its free, and for the most part, pretty well managed as well. But don't expect everything here to be logical as well, make sense, much less be designed around and fully responsive to the best possible user experience.

Joe, I see you are trying to approach this from a very rational POV. Please understand that much like how the Federal government spends billions and trillions every year pursuing policies all over the planet which have absolutely no bearing on the actual needs or wishes nor betterment of those whom pay the taxation nor was ever revealed as their intention when running for election, I highly doubt that those calling the shots here design this forum or amend it according to what the members here need, want or desire most, except trivially, whenever it can be rather easily effected without causing deviation from the larger corporate plan.

This forum is pretty good overall, maybe one of the best of its type, its free, and for the most part, pretty well managed as well. But don't expect everything here to be logical as well, make sense, much less be designed around and fully responsive to the best possible user experience.
I have no such expectations, but since this is a discussion board, I decided to throw my 2 cents into the discussion.

I have no such expectations, but since this is a discussion board, I decided to throw my 2 cents into the discussion.

Yes, a discussion board with enough guidelines and rules to fill a 40 page booklet that even the staff themselves here cannot all clearly list nor define, finally leaving much of it up to arbitrary judgement or personal call. It's getting more and more like watching an NFL game and their refereeing here. But here is one thing I've learned in the past few days:

Spelling matters more than accuracy. You can post a garbage topic upstairs which makes totally false accusations unsupported even by the OP's own links, but just don't spell someone's name wrong. Appearances are more important than content. And I dare anyone to try to prove me wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back