Zone1 Not a Christian

What is the benefit of being a Christian?

• I don’t know.

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • I don’t know either.

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • I do know. (Specify in the thread)

Votes: 7 77.8%

• Total voters
I grew up in a devoutly Christian home/family. I participated fully in the whole experience. Hell, you can’t swing an arm in my family without hitting a church worker. Then at age 27 I had my eyes opened and I left the church, did some serious soul searching and came to the conclusion thst I could not support ANY form of organized religion.

The anticipated benefits of Christianity are predominantly SPIRITUAL, not physical in nature. It’s about saving one’s Soul from eternal damnation. There are no short term, physical benefits to Christianity. It’s all about the long game.

The down side of Christianity is that it is a long-term plan. You need to follow the rules NOW, but your reward doesn’t come until some amorphous point in the future. It’s not even at the time of death but when Jesus comes again (no date given).
The down side of Christianity is that it is a long-term plan. You need to follow the rules NOW, but your reward doesn’t come until some amorphous point in the future. It’s not even at the time of death but when Jesus comes again (no date given).

you have not clarified - what is the christian religion - only its servitude ...

the religion granted a&e for their journey and remission to paradise, the religion of antiquity - the triumph of good vs evil - is meant to be accomplished within a persons lifetime to acquire judgement and admission to the everlasting -

the religion all three - desert religions - have abandoned.

While no one could say for certain... The existence of such people certainly serve as an opportunity for others to show the strength of their love, patience, kindness, and empathy.
So god severely fucks up some people to teach people a lesson? Absurd.

So god severely fucks up some people to teach people a lesson? Absurd.
I didn't say he "fucks some people up to teach to teach people a lesson". The point I was getting at is only God knows the "Why" of a great many things we do not understand. Nonetheless, with every interaction we have with those around us, we have an opportunity to prove something about ourselves.

Could it be you are so focused on listening for something you specifically expect to hear, that anything that is not what you expect goes unnoticed?.

As you are well-versed in Christianity I was wondering if you are expecting the next step (so-to-speak)?

Some theologians say that there was 700 years of silence from God between the Old Testament and the New Testament. That means people born in that time frame never heard God speak either. Is it so unrealistic to believe that God doesn’t speak to me? Is it really that big of a deal if God doesn’t acknowledge me?

It seems to me if a human’s voice is capable of being heard and recognized that an all powerful being would have an even greater capacity than a mere human voice. Why can I hear the voice of humans but not a much more powerful voice?

I saw no reason not to believe you when you said you didn’t believe God exists. The games you have been playing with people confirmed it.

I repeat. This thread has nothing to do with me. Stick to the topic at hand.

I repeat. This thread has nothing to do with me. Stick to the topic at hand.
Then you shouldn’t have argued that I should have ignored your past statements.

This is pretty simple. You are an atheist playing games for your own personal amusement. You aren’t genuine and what you are doing is fucked up.

Motivations of OP are relevant and fair game.

I didn't say he "fucks some people up to teach to teach people a lesson". The point I was getting at is only God knows the "Why" of a great many things we do not understand. Nonetheless, with every interaction we have with those around us, we have an opportunity to prove something about ourselves.
Is that your way of saying that you don't give a fuck about deformed people and why god made them like that?

Incorrect. What it shows is that I’m not playing your game and you can’t have your fun.

So what do I lose if you declare me to be a nonChristian?

What do I gain if you declare me to be a Christian?

If there is no cost benefit analysis then I have no reason to entertain silly people who say I am or am not a Christian. It’s just futile nonsense.

Then at age 27 I had my eyes opened and I left the church, did some serious soul searching and came to the conclusion thst I could not support ANY form of organized religion.

The anticipated benefits of Christianity are predominantly SPIRITUAL, not physical in nature. It’s about saving one’s Soul from eternal damnation. There are no short term, physical benefits to Christianity. It’s all about the long game.
Wrong. In so many ways. Religion is not about the hereafter, it is about living the here and now. It is about living as family, community, and sometimes nation in our present life. The afterlife will take care of itself.

If you show me someone who has found no physical benefits--short-term or otherwise--to Christianity, I can show you a person who has not seriously practiced Christian living.

Christianity, Judaism, perhaps every religion encompasses the whole, which includes spirit/soul. The spirit/soul does live on, but at the present time it is living in a physical realm, and unless a hermit, within a community. Sounds like you turned your back on your community, most likely because you had no wish to be bothered because you found "others" weren't giving enough to you.

The definition you provide for religion is not only wrong, it is disgusting, but most likely grasped eagerly by the lazy with no wish to be bothered.

What about deformed and retarded people living in constant pain? Why does god give them those "talents"?
So sorry you haven't in your heart to love the less than perfect. Perhaps understand many of the less than perfect offer the purest love to those around them.

Is that your way of saying that you don't give a fuck about deformed people and why god made them like that?
Nope. It's my way of asking you. When you come across such a person; do you feel grateful that you aren't saddled with that burden, and appreciate what you have, and take the opportunity to make this person's life better? Or do you walk by, revolted, muttering that God must be some kind of asshole?

Last edited:
So what do I lose if you declare me to be a nonChristian?

What do I gain if you declare me to be a Christian?

If there is no cost benefit analysis then I have no reason to entertain silly people who say I am or am not a Christian. It’s just futile nonsense.
But you aren’t a Christian. As near as I can tell you are a sociopath.

It seems you want people to respond with heaven or hell but that’s not the benefit of being Christian. I already told you the benefit… dying to self. Which is the antithesis of the game you are playing.

But you aren’t a Christian. As near as I can tell you are a sociopath.

It seems you want people to respond with heaven or hell but that’s not the benefit of being Christian. I already told you the benefit… dying to self. Which is the antithesis of the game you are playing.

Fair enough. I get it. You actually have a good answer.

Some people like to identify as a Christian.

Some people like to throw disqualifiers at others saying they aren’t Christians.

My questions are these: What is the benefit of being an actual Christian?

What is the detriment of finding out that you are not a Christian?

I expect minimal participation on this thread but I love being surprised.
The biggest benefit is that people get to pretend there is life after death and that some all powerful all knowing supreme being actually cares about them

If you show me someone who has found no physical benefits--short-term or otherwise--to Christianity, I can show you a person who has not seriously practiced Christian living
How about ME. After 27 years of active participation and earnest faith in the church, not only did I not find any physical benefits; I couldn’t find any spiritual benefits either. That’s why I walked away.

The biggest benefit is that people get to pretend there is life after death and that some all powerful all knowing supreme being actually cares about them

So basically happiness instead of the misery of knowing that we are all alone to grapple through this miserable world.

I can see the psychological benefit of convincing yourself that you are best friends with an all powerful being.

Atheists are the most miserable people out there including myself. I have always acknowledged that.

But Is happiness truth?

So basically happiness instead of the misery of knowing that we are all alone to grapple through this miserable world.

I can see the psychological benefit of convincing yourself that you are best friends with an all powerful being.

Atheists are the most miserable people out there including myself. I have always acknowledged that.

But Is happiness truth?
I'm not an atheist but I do believe that IF there are any gods that they are not the god in the bible

And I'm not miserable at all.

The jailer called for lights, rushed in and fell trembling before Paul and Silas. He then brought them out and asked, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?”
They replied, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved—you and your household.”

Acts 16:29-31 NIV

Forum List

Back