No prison for college cheating celebrities.

Prison is not a pleasant place and most of us would not want to go there. It should be reserved only for the most wicked among us, murderers, rapists et al. Some just never learn to conduct themselves without indulging in practices and habits that harm others like drug dealing and drug using that adversely affects children in their care so maybe prison is a place for them as well. Prison has been well established in most societies as a deterrent punishment based on deprivation of freedom. It works for the majority of society.

I am here to argue against prison for rich people who try to buy an advantage for their children to get into college. Short prison sentences for this kind of corruption, while embarrassing and inconvenient, are not really justice. These people feel justified in cheating the rest of us to swindle a deal for their kids while most have to struggle and sacrifice to make it.

I never got a sense of justice when Martha Stewart went to jail. She just picked up and continued on after and stayed rich. I would much prefer a system that completely destroys these offenders financially by seizing their wealth and prevents them working in their fields for at least a decade.

None of these wealthy celebrities is going to learn anything from a few months behind bars. But if they cannot work at their craft for ten years and find themselves working a checkout counter at a convenience store, that would be true justice.

What do you think?
Sounds like two tiered justice to me. White collar crime is wrong even if they do not use violence to affect their crooked schemes. Won't learn anything from a few months in prison? They might in Gen Pop with Big Bubba as a cellmate. What may not be learned in a country club prison environment, might well be learned in the environmental home of the more coarse of our society. These people are usually educated, somewhat more refined people, often of privaledge. If they have no respect for the laws of our society, a taste of the same punishment as what they and possibly you consider the lesser creatures might teach them a healthy fear of being dragged down to that level as punishment.

Jail for the bribers seems a waste of public money to me------very stiff, and SIGNIFICANTLY PAINFUL fines seems a lot more PRACTICAL.
Right now---in my city run by utterly depraved albeit rich people (even if they were not rich BEFORE becoming "runners of the city" they do manage to become rich DURING AND AFTER)-----it has been determined that serious crime against the lesser members of society (like me)
by thugs is to be ignored because the jails are too crowded and the thugs and criminals are NEEDED to
remain on the streets for POLITICAL REASONS by the
people in the position of RUNNING THINGS

Prison is not a pleasant place and most of us would not want to go there. It should be reserved only for the most wicked among us, murderers, rapists et al. Some just never learn to conduct themselves without indulging in practices and habits that harm others like drug dealing and drug using that adversely affects children in their care so maybe prison is a place for them as well. Prison has been well established in most societies as a deterrent punishment based on deprivation of freedom. It works for the majority of society.

I am here to argue against prison for rich people who try to buy an advantage for their children to get into college. Short prison sentences for this kind of corruption, while embarrassing and inconvenient, are not really justice. These people feel justified in cheating the rest of us to swindle a deal for their kids while most have to struggle and sacrifice to make it.

I never got a sense of justice when Martha Stewart went to jail. She just picked up and continued on after and stayed rich. I would much prefer a system that completely destroys these offenders financially by seizing their wealth and prevents them working in their fields for at least a decade.

None of these wealthy celebrities is going to learn anything from a few months behind bars. But if they cannot work at their craft for ten years and find themselves working a checkout counter at a convenience store, that would be true justice.

What do you think?

This case was so much bullshit especially with Lori Loughlin. It seems the prosecutors were more interested in getting a conviction rather than in justice. I haven't seen prosecutors go after anyone this way since they got Al Capone on tax evasion charges. This is prosecutorial abuse. Loughlin committed one crime and that was it. Yet we get multiple charges. Why should I pay for someone to go to jail for such a minor offense. They should pay a large fine and get house arrest.

I believe the rich should serve their time in jail performing manual labor. Taking their money away and not allowing them to work in their profession as you propose has too many loopholes. For rich families (like say the heirs of Sam Walton) the guilty could easily live off the kindness of relatives for 10 years and beyond.

you like the 'HARD LABOR" thing? Kinda funny for me. I hate those "HARD LABOR" movies in which inmates in the USA prisons are TORTURED. I don't like to see torture. An interesting factoid is that the term
HARD LABOR is used in the Navy when some silly sailor gets drunk and does not show up in the morning and gets 30 days in the "brig" "30 days at HARD LABOR"-----I got news-----the boys get to sit around and read comic books. The very worst would be locked in a cell------so that conversation with the other guys is limited to the other guys willing to come closer to the guy LOCKED in. It's not a pleasant vacation but it is not " THE CHAIN GANG"

What do you think?

Thank you for your well thought out and well presented opinion.

Having said that, I am completely opposed to the system of existing NON-Equal Justice.

Justice should be EQUAL, period. No amount of justification for abandoning the laws that are written, passed, and that exist for EVERYONE should be allowed to spare SOME from the same existing / mandated judicial repercussions / punishment for breaking laws.

The laws are either fair and valid, meet the accepted requirements for the laws broken for EVERYONE or they don't. If they don't, fix the required punishment for the offense for EVERYONE.

Everyone should know in advance that they will not be 'cut any slack' simply because they play that famous character on TV / in movies or if they are a politician....and 'ignorance of the law is not a legitimate legal defense for breaking laws, no matter what James Comey declared in defense of Hillary breaking laws.

Equal, across the board. 'All men/women are created equal' and should be treated equally.

I believe the rich should serve their time in jail performing manual labor. Taking their money away and not allowing them to work in their profession as you propose has too many loopholes. For rich families (like say the heirs of Sam Walton) the guilty could easily live off the kindness of relatives for 10 years and beyond.

We are talking about minor offenses.

you like the 'HARD LABOR" thing? Kinda funny for me. I hate those "HARD LABOR" movies in which inmates in the USA prisons are TORTURED. I don't like to see torture. An interesting factoid is that the term
HARD LABOR is used in the Navy when some silly sailor gets drunk and does not show up in the morning and gets 30 days in the "brig" "30 days at HARD LABOR"-----I got news-----the boys get to sit around and read comic books. The very worst would be locked in a cell------so that conversation with the other guys is limited to the other guys willing to come closer to the guy LOCKED in. It's not a pleasant vacation but it is not " THE CHAIN GANG"

So you're against hard labor but propose capital punishment! You're a genius.

What do you think?
What makes you think college admissions are a meritocracy?

They aren't now nor have they ever been.

What do you think?

Thank you for your well thought out and well presented opinion.

Having said that, I am completely opposed to the system of existing NON-Equal Justice.

Justice should be EQUAL, period. No amount of justification for abandoning the laws that are written, passed, and that exist for EVERYONE should be allowed to spare SOME from the same existing / mandated judicial repercussions / punishment for breaking laws.

The laws are either fair and valid, meet the accepted requirements for the laws broken for EVERYONE or they don't. If they don't, fix the required punishment for the offense for EVERYONE.

Everyone should know in advance that they will not be 'cut any slack' simply because they play that famous character on TV / in movies or if they are a politician....and 'ignorance of the law is not a legitimate legal defense for breaking laws, no matter what James Comey declared in defense of Hillary breaking laws.

Equal, across the board. 'All men/women are created equal' and should be treated equally.

You are talking about unequal justice. The fact that this is their first offense and jail time does not seem to be warranted.

What do you think?

I think you're ignoring the victims of their actions, the people who didn't get into those colleges because of the parents who cheated. Yes, they should do prison time. This isn't a victimless crime like putting drugs in your own body

I see no benefit in sending them to prison. They should have to fund some scholarships for underprivileged students.

Screw the people who didn't make those schools because of cheaters, huh?

That while you want to send Trump to prison for an agreement with a consenting adult where there is no victim.

Hypocrisy much?

did you pass 2nd grade? Where did I propose capital punishment? How does a grammar school drop out DEFINE "hard labor"?

The rich can go to prison just like the serfs here in the US there is not two separate laws pertaining to the aristocrats and the peons.

The rich can go to prison just like the serfs here in the US there is not two separate laws pertaining to the aristocrats and the peons.

there is a question of------TO WHAT GOOD? The US prison system is supposed to ACCOMPLISH A GOAL.
It is expensive for SOCIETY and not really all that much of a hardship for people who can, simply, bounce back into their mansion and Mercedes. As to community service-----sorta can be nothing but a joke. In this case the issue that seems "good" to me------is a very stiff fine and PUBLIC IGNOMINY ----the girls, themselves, are, IMHO---really wrecked

What do you think?

I think you're ignoring the victims of their actions, the people who didn't get into those colleges because of the parents who cheated. Yes, they should do prison time. This isn't a victimless crime like putting drugs in your own body

So 1 or 2 kids?

And whoever said it's a right to get accepted to the college of your choice?

There are literally thousands of other colleges those one or two kids could go to.

College admissions has never been a meritocracy.

Just look at all the rich idiots who get into Ivy league schools because daddy give a big donation.

What do you think?

So 1 or 2 kids?

And whoever said it's a right to get accepted to the college of your choice?

There are literally thousands of other colleges those one or two kids could go to.

College admissions has never been a meritocracy.

Just look at all the rich idiots who get into Ivy league schools because daddy give a big donation.

Saying you don't have a right to go to a school really doesn't refute fraud as the reason you don't get in.

I'll agree there's a difference between government and private schools. I'd like to get the government money out of private schools though before agreeing they're on their own for fraud

What do you think?

Another stupid idea from you. Prison sentences should be based on the social class of the criminal? Damn that's dumb.

did you pass 2nd grade? Where did I propose capital punishment? How does a grammar school drop out DEFINE "hard labor"?

You're not claiming a monopoly on putting your words in the mouths of others, are you? I have a college degree. Before getting that degree I had manual labor jobs. It seems you have no clue of what the term means.

Forum List

Back