Nikki Haley alleged she was set up by Democratic 'plant' after being asked what caused the Civil War

Ft. Sumter was illegally occupied.
Not according to the history I've read. The deed seemed all in order. War would not have happened at that point if US property had not been claimed.

It was about slavery to the south. Slavery was the cornerstone of their new government. Many slave state residents today can't admit that, even though the contemporary newspaper reports are very clear.

it was basically a "have you stopped beating your husband' question.
it was meant to push a button, no matter how she answered.

and we can see whose buttons got pushed.

Really? This was a trick question? Lol

The women has no principles. That is the issue. She was scared to speak the truth not because she is racist but because she is a totally unprincipled politician. The worst i have seen since Bill Clinton in this regard.
I supported her in 2016. By 2018 I saw this in her. I rather have a Liz Cheney despite her exteremism than another Bill Clinton worm.

• Informative
Reactions: cnm
Wrong.

It doesn’t make any difference if there was a ‘plant’ (there wasn’t) and the question was perfectly legitimate.
How do you know that it was not a plant? What is your proof?
And this really isn’t about Haley, it’s about the fact that conservatives continue to lie about the reason for the treasonous insurrection of 1861 – that reason was to defend slavery.

Most on the right, however, continue to advance a false narrative about those who engaged in lawless rebellion against the United States: the lie that they were defending states’ rights; the lie that they were defending their culture and way of life; and the lie that those who engaged in lawless rebellion against the United States where ‘noble’ and ‘heroic,’ – they weren’t, they were treasonous insurrectionist and war criminals.

Consequently, Republican politicians are forced to ignore the facts and truth and appease the Republican base by lying about the fact that the treasonous insurrection of 1861 was about defending slavery, lest any Republican politician who admits the truth is attacked and vilify by the Republican base, jeopardizing any hope of winning elected office.

Republican politicians today are just as much cowards as was Lincoln in 1861.
Your mistake is in thinking this issue comes up with Republicans. It only comes up when Democratic operatives need something to distract the public from Biden’s latest.

You seem to forget, if you were ever taught, that it was Republicans who gave birth to a party dedicated to ending slavery, Republicans who led the Union in the Civil War, and Republicans who had to contend with Democrats determined to use Jim Crow to keep blacks free in name only, and reduced to share cropping, and having no voice in political decisions.

No one is detached from slavery.

Not one race, nationality, or political party.

There are a few who still practice though.
How did slavery start?

Evidence of slavery predates written records; the practice has existed in many cultures and can be traced back 11,000 years ago due to the conditions created by the invention of agriculture during the Neolithic Revolution. Economic surpluses and high population densities were conditions that made mass slavery viable.

That could be used as an excuse by Southerners for what they believed back then. It has since been determined to be wrong under the American Constitution. Are you really trying to blame them for your current ignorance?
It has since been determined to be wrong under the American Constitution.
but not when they seceded?

‘Republican presidential candidate Nikki Haley, who is facing backlash over her response to a question about the Civil War at a New Hampshire campaign event, alleged without evidence Thursday that that the questioner was potentially a Democratic "plant."’

It was a perfectly legitimate question to ask Haley, regardless of the politics of the person asking the question.

It’s also telling that Haley would perceive acknowledging the fact that the South started the war to preserve slavery as a political ‘gotcha.’

Wow.

I mean, would a person looking at her think it's better that she became a "Democratic "plant"" so easily, or that she said what she said? Clearly the former makes her unfit to be President, so I'd guess as a Republican candidate, that's the way to go then...

She should expect questions from anyone, any party. For her to blame it on a “democrat plant” is weak; something Nancy Pelosi, Hillary Clinton, or Barack Obama would do when there is a backlash to a response.

She needs to stand by her answer or expand on it. She needs to realize the same same getting their panties in a bunch over this had no problem with Biden telling Blacks they are not Blacks if they vote for Trump.

‘Republican presidential candidate Nikki Haley, who is facing backlash over her response to a question about the Civil War at a New Hampshire campaign event, alleged without evidence Thursday that that the questioner was potentially a Democratic "plant."’

It was a perfectly legitimate question to ask Haley, regardless of the politics of the person asking the question.

It’s also telling that Haley would perceive acknowledging the fact that the South started the war to preserve slavery as a political ‘gotcha.’
Something I haven’t heard in this discussion is there is a difference in teaching the cause of the Civil War depending on where your live.

I was raised in Ohio and learned slavery caused the Civil War. I’ve lived in the South for half a century and many people I know who were educated in Florida believe the cause was states’s rights.

It was about states' rights.
Wrong.

It was about preserving slavery.

That’s why Lincoln was promising the South he’d do nothing to end slavery, that slavery was constitutional, and begged and pleaded with the South to not secede because of slavery.

You and others on the racist right reject this fact to keep alive the myth that the treasonous insurrection of 1861 was ‘noble’ and ‘honorable’ – when in fact nothing could be further from the truth, and to justify racist Republican policies today that disadvantage the descendants of enslaved Americans.

Forum List

Back