Niki Haley proposes some common sense changes to Social Security. (will it hurt or help her?}

Social Security deductions are only taken from income up to $160,000. However, Social Security payments are based on all income earned. So the very rich pay in a very small percentage of their income, but can end up getting really big Social Security checks.
Bullshit.
Not true.

#1 only SS earnings are used to determine SS benefits.

#2 There is a benefit cap.

WW
Correct.

“Wealthy” is a qualitative term, not a quarantine term.

Define wealthy?

Remembering the money people have needs to last 20-40 years.

WW
One dollar more than him.
I am all for opting out as an option for those who are considered “rich”. The problem is that most in that category would opt out because frankly they can make more money investing than by giving to SS, not to mention that any remaining money on their death could be passed to their beneficiaries.

Just to clarify, I don't mean opting out of getting benefits but still contributing, I am talking about opting out all together.
I'd do that tomorrow if I could.

They don't "borrow against T-bills" when the T-bills are purchased by the SS Trust Fund, that money goes into the general revenue account. They don't borrow against the T-bills because the T-bills are the borrowing.

And just for clarification, the amount of the Trust in T-bills isn't 2.9 Billion, it's around 2.9 Trillion. Which with the baby boomer bulge hitting retirement is the problem. The large number of baby boomer (of which I'm one) will exhaust the fund in around 2034.

WW

There is zero bucks in the SS Security fund. It's all been sold using the two methods, the T-bills and a special bill. Yes, the money goes into the general fund account and the bills are issued showing the borrowed amount. Since 1985, the account has grown on paper for a total of 2.9 trillion but it's only earned about 85 billion. There should be two levels of increase in the amount. One would be a fair interest which it hasn't been done. The other is the fact that more money is being brought in from taxpayers that is being spent on the program.

No matter how you look at it, the account should be self solvent with a excess. But it has no excess when the cost of living is figured in. The funds don't cover the increase. What that means is, the General Fund is taking the lions share of the excess in the funds freezing it at 2.9 billion.

If I'm forced to pay 4x more into the damn thing where do you think the money goes genius. Go back to third grade math class, pay attention this time.
Awwwww! You poor thing, nothing else to whine about other then paying into SS? Go suck a thumb, crybaby.

You don't pay into Social Security. It's a tax. The money is taxed away from you, to fund entitlement spending for other people.
Workers are promised a benefit after they retire. The amount is specified to everyone dumbass, even coxuckers like you.

The government needs to cough-up the promised entitlements for SS & Medicare to those who paid in.
I don't care if they need to cancel Welfare and Medicaid to do it.

SS is not an "entitlement".

Yes it is. That's exactly what it is. It's a benefit you qualify for based on the rules the government prescribes, and at amounts the government prescribes. Those rules and benefit amounts can be modified or eliminated at any time, as the government's sole discretion.

Yes it is. That's exactly what it is. It's a benefit you qualify for based on the rules the government prescribes, and at amounts the government prescribes. Those rules and benefit amounts can be modified or eliminated at any time, as the government's sole discretion.
Call it what you want. The fact remains that millions of retired workers count on those benefits to survive.

The only people who want to fuck with it are those that don't need it.

Yeah, uh-huh, just try to fuck with the "3rd rail" and see what happens.

You pay "taxes" into the Social Security system

No, you pay taxes into the Social Security bank account that is used to PAY current social security expenses. Current being the key word.

and get PROMISED benefits after you retire, dumbass.

Who promised? Do you have a written contract?

The only promises made were by your own assumptions, or the ignorance of your parents lying to you about how it works.

Call it what you want. The fact remains that millions of retired workers count on those benefits to survive.

Oh, well, if that's the case, I guess they're all entitled for those benefits to be pulled out Mary Poppins' bag, now aren't they?

You pay "taxes" into the Social Security system and get PROMISED benefits after you retire, dumbass.
No one ever said SS was a retirement account, like a 401k. Stop lying.
It's not bad enough that Corporate America has pretty much done away with pension plans with the help of their cronies in the Republican Party but now they want to fuck with SS. Niki Haley is a prime example. A multi millionaire who wants middle class workers to work until they drop, or therefore so that they collect less benefits, SS, Medicare etc.

Niki Haley & her cronies want to gut the social safety net because they don't want to pay taxes to support these programs.

Oh, well, if that's the case, I guess they're all entitled for those benefits to be pulled out Mary Poppins' bag, now aren't they?
And who the fuck is "they"? The people who paid into that program all their working lives? You seem to have a bug up your ass over it.

Forum List

Back