Nationalized Education Curriculum pre-k to 12th

What are your opinions on a nationalized education system with a completely equal Curriculum? How do you feel about schools separating students based on demonstrated knowledge (tests) vs the teacher's discretion (pass or fail)? Do you believe homework should take priority over studying/readings (of course excluding language and mathematics)? What opinions do you have on creating a harder curriculum? Finally for this thread, any opinions on removing textbooks and using pieces if not entire sections of sourcebook (instead of talking of political philosophy from a textbook include some of The Prince)?

I've never figured out how you tune or fix lagging and failing schools WITHOUT national testing. The states FUDGE their own testing numbers. The problem is -- APPARENTLY testing of any kind is "racist" and biased.. And the screams about NAEP for example are horrific.

If you're NOT gonna allow national testing -- then just DISBAND the Dept of Ed.. They have NO PURPOSE if they have no data to go on...

I dont there's time or benefit to roll in "original sources" in K-6, but for the higher grades it would advance the dialogue to do that and might rejuvenate some of the problems in teaching history and literature. Certainly NOT really advantageous for math, science because those curriculums are already tortured in "politically correct" propaganda which should be removed entirely if we don't want to lose our STEM edge in education...
That makes sense. How do you feel about the multiple intelligence theory? How do you feel about text-books in general? In standardized testing do you think there are any changes that would be more beneficial to the system? What do you think about the education gap and do you have any ideas on causation or resolves?
text books are huge ass waste of money and are used to funnel money around. They are also dangerously heavy for kids to lug around and slow to correct and update.

Text books should be removed--------and a simple laptop or tablet that can quickly be updated should replace them fixing a bunch of problems.

Department of education is a political organization wasting and funneling money around as well. Disband and move control of education down to the lower local levels. Kids would be better served at much cheaper costs.

Today's students are not being taught to read.

Only to watch politically correct videos and then repeat from memory that with which they were indoctrinated.

It's a process that can easily be automated. Betware NEA members - you will shortly be replaced by a computers - oh wait....a lot of you already have been! In the guise of "remote schooling".

But not to worry. You'll get free money so spend on vanished goods.

Just one more post to prove I'm "not making up shit"... Note in the 2nd item for sale, it says this complies WITH COMMON CORE MATH... The teachers are GETTING this wild goose chases from the academics that MADE UP the "common core" curriculum..

Description
Multiplication Strategies Math Anchor Chart

Are you searching for strategies to support two-digit multiplication? This poster kit is just for you.

It includes:

- 7 multiplication strategies with directions and matching illustrations

- 1 student reference guide that can be sent home to support parent understanding of the strategies

- guiding questions

- 1 student recording sheet (to show detailed thinking)

Use these strategies to improve student achievement!

7 Multiplication Strategies included:

1- Expanded Notation

2- Partial Products

3- Area Model with Base Ten Blocks

4- Decompose One Factor into 2 Parts

5- Decompose One Factor into Several Smaller Parts

6- Distributive Property

7- Traditional Algorithm

Description
Having problems finding a multiplication strategy that works for your class? Need ways to teach multiplication to fit common core standards? Then, this is the packet for you!

Included in this packet are easy-to-follow instructions and examples of how to use four main multiplication strategies (Area Method, FOIL, Lattice, and Double & Half). You may also choose to copy instructions for students to have when practicing at home and to guide the parents. Additionally, there are 4 practice pages for the students included.

Enjoy :)
Michelle Thom

Like this?
Check out this multiplication packet...
Cooking Up Arrays {Multiplication Match-Up Cards and Games}

or this Common Core assessment for 4.NBT.5...
Common Core 4.NBT.5 {Multiplication Assessment & Rubrics}

Common Core as a requirement was dropped by most states during the Obama administration. Please try and keep up!

All what I'm telling you transpired in Cali and Florida over the past 20 years. And Florida only recently repealed Common Core.. And it hasn't died with repeal -- some of these awful ideas linger on because teachers adopted them and still fit them into whatever the current state curriculum guidelines are..

Well, if most of you education critics would get your head out of your ass, you would know that what you are talking about is curriculum and not Common Core. That is an excellent example of your ignorance of the topic.

What are your opinions on a nationalized education system with a completely equal Curriculum? How do you feel about schools separating students based on demonstrated knowledge (tests) vs the teacher's discretion (pass or fail)? Do you believe homework should take priority over studying/readings (of course excluding language and mathematics)? What opinions do you have on creating a harder curriculum? Finally for this thread, any opinions on removing textbooks and using pieces if not entire sections of sourcebook (instead of talking of political philosophy from a textbook include some of The Prince)?

I've never figured out how you tune or fix lagging and failing schools WITHOUT national testing. The states FUDGE their own testing numbers. The problem is -- APPARENTLY testing of any kind is "racist" and biased.. And the screams about NAEP for example are horrific.

If you're NOT gonna allow national testing -- then just DISBAND the Dept of Ed.. They have NO PURPOSE if they have no data to go on...

I dont there's time or benefit to roll in "original sources" in K-6, but for the higher grades it would advance the dialogue to do that and might rejuvenate some of the problems in teaching history and literature. Certainly NOT really advantageous for math, science because those curriculums are already tortured in "politically correct" propaganda which should be removed entirely if we don't want to lose our STEM edge in education...
That makes sense. How do you feel about the multiple intelligence theory? How do you feel about text-books in general? In standardized testing do you think there are any changes that would be more beneficial to the system? What do you think about the education gap and do you have any ideas on causation or resolves?
text books are huge ass waste of money and are used to funnel money around. They are also dangerously heavy for kids to lug around and slow to correct and update.

Text books should be removed--------and a simple laptop or tablet that can quickly be updated should replace them fixing a bunch of problems.

Department of education is a political organization wasting and funneling money around as well. Disband and move control of education down to the lower local levels. Kids would be better served at much cheaper costs.

Exactly what money are they "wasting and funneling money around as well". You only know what the education bashers have told you to believe. You do an excellent job with the talking points based on lies.

I agree with that completely and totally. When in high school I actually had those issues in mathematics so it is quite intriguing that you put it so perfectly. How do you personally think we could stop this fear?

It very simple and NOT hard to fix.. Get 25 of America's top STEM Professional Societies to write an "open letter" to the academic eggheads in the Ed Depts of colleges --- SCOLDING THEM for making math intimidating. Tell them to teach the one way that always works PRECISELY first. And drop this insane clatter about 5 different ways to think about multiplication or finding the "roots" of equations" in Algebra. AT LEAST until the kids are SOLID in mastering it.. Reserve the freaking "tricks and tips" for tutoring sessions for students that NEED visual aids and crutches..

It's how academics on the lib arts screw up perfectly good basic knowledge all the time. By "over teaching" it... :poke::poke::poke:

It's no wonder you cant get EVERY kid thru Trig and Algebra 1 wasting time and making kids fear math... We might also get around the "math is racist" argument -- if black kids got some tutorials is defending themselves against folks that ABUSE statistics. And statistics are abused daily everywhere. This is not EVEN math.. In the 21st century with a totally dysfunctional media -- THIS IS A SURVIVAL TOOL...

But you'll never get there spending so much redundant time to confuse kids on how to do the ESSENTIALS of math..

Why do you think math is intimidating?

I taught high school math for 21 years and NEVER had a student be intimidated. I never knew a college student to be intimidated by math. I think you are imagining things!
With my personal experience, I had 2 years 7-8 grade where my teacher cried every other day and yelled at students by the end of the week if we didn't plot the 12 pages of point plotting and colored them. Most of us did them but when we asked why it was all we did she would get angry. After that, I struggled along with most of my classmates to grasp algebra and other forms of basic mathematics. Now if I do something and learn it I can repeat the solution but then I had to perform the same problem with 3 separate methods on different sections and I started getting lost. I don't have the best memory so I got better with notes and writing equations due to the multiple methods. I needed but when I had to apply 8 different solutions to solve some forms of algebra or even geometry. (it isn't as bad but still occurring) You could easily say I just suck at math and be done with it and that could very well be true but the fear factor and overteaching is something I experienced frequently. That is my experience with math, I have no doubt you were a great teacher but when the stuff like I said occurs it messes up the subject entirely. My girlfriend who had a similar issue gave up her dream to be a biologist because she feels she's not good enough at math even though she passes every course.

In other words, you are a dumbass! There are no 8 different solutions in algebra. I taught it for 21 years. Your self-confidence is the issue, as well as your girlfriend's. There are no excuses why you cannot learn math. You are providing planty you have made up to placate your ego and shift the blame for your poor math skills.
I wouldn't go that far but hey someone has to. I am not talking about an inability to learn just a difficulty with it. You cant get into the world without math skills of some sort of course I had to do it like anyone else. The difference is I am not good at it. This isn't about an inability it is about a fear that goes with it. I am telling you of an experience that caused anxiety in that field. I had a wonderful teacher who helped me later on. If my ego meant so much I wouldn't have shared a once complication. However, if that is what you got out of that fine. I"ve found my place and I am fine currently but that doesn't make the issues others had, go away. While you can say there aren't 8 different ways to do algebra that is exactly what we are being taught or at least what we had been taught in high school.

Bullshit! Stop pissing on my leg and telling me it is raining! You are making shit up, plain and simple.
factoring, using the square roots, completing the square and the quadratic formula. graphing. substitution method. elimination method. ( 7 of 8 that I could remember no not all for the same problem it is 3 for one 3 for another)

Hope that is put simply enough for you mate!

Is that supposed to be an answer supporting what?

Do you disagree mostly with the physical textbook and just think we should have them on tablets? Or, is it about the watered-down information that can be involved in some of them? I definitely agree with the digitalization of texts, mainly for cost efficiency which you mentioned.

I agree with that completely and totally. When in high school I actually had those issues in mathematics so it is quite intriguing that you put it so perfectly. How do you personally think we could stop this fear?

It very simple and NOT hard to fix.. Get 25 of America's top STEM Professional Societies to write an "open letter" to the academic eggheads in the Ed Depts of colleges --- SCOLDING THEM for making math intimidating. Tell them to teach the one way that always works PRECISELY first. And drop this insane clatter about 5 different ways to think about multiplication or finding the "roots" of equations" in Algebra. AT LEAST until the kids are SOLID in mastering it.. Reserve the freaking "tricks and tips" for tutoring sessions for students that NEED visual aids and crutches..

It's how academics on the lib arts screw up perfectly good basic knowledge all the time. By "over teaching" it... :poke::poke::poke:

It's no wonder you cant get EVERY kid thru Trig and Algebra 1 wasting time and making kids fear math... We might also get around the "math is racist" argument -- if black kids got some tutorials is defending themselves against folks that ABUSE statistics. And statistics are abused daily everywhere. This is not EVEN math.. In the 21st century with a totally dysfunctional media -- THIS IS A SURVIVAL TOOL...

But you'll never get there spending so much redundant time to confuse kids on how to do the ESSENTIALS of math..

I taught high school math for 21 years and NEVER had a student be intimidated. I never knew a college student to be intimidated by math. I think you are imagining things!
With my personal experience, I had 2 years 7-8 grade where my teacher cried every other day and yelled at students by the end of the week if we didn't plot the 12 pages of point plotting and colored them. Most of us did them but when we asked why it was all we did she would get angry. After that, I struggled along with most of my classmates to grasp algebra and other forms of basic mathematics. Now if I do something and learn it I can repeat the solution but then I had to perform the same problem with 3 separate methods on different sections and I started getting lost. I don't have the best memory so I got better with notes and writing equations due to the multiple methods. I needed but when I had to apply 8 different solutions to solve some forms of algebra or even geometry. (it isn't as bad but still occurring) You could easily say I just suck at math and be done with it and that could very well be true but the fear factor and overteaching is something I experienced frequently. That is my experience with math, I have no doubt you were a great teacher but when the stuff like I said occurs it messes up the subject entirely. My girlfriend who had a similar issue gave up her dream to be a biologist because she feels she's not good enough at math even though she passes every course.

In other words, you are a dumbass! There are no 8 different solutions in algebra. I taught it for 21 years. Your self-confidence is the issue, as well as your girlfriend's. There are no excuses why you cannot learn math. You are providing planty you have made up to placate your ego and shift the blame for your poor math skills.
I wouldn't go that far but hey someone has to. I am not talking about an inability to learn just a difficulty with it. You cant get into the world without math skills of some sort of course I had to do it like anyone else. The difference is I am not good at it. This isn't about an inability it is about a fear that goes with it. I am telling you of an experience that caused anxiety in that field. I had a wonderful teacher who helped me later on. If my ego meant so much I wouldn't have shared a once complication. However, if that is what you got out of that fine. I"ve found my place and I am fine currently but that doesn't make the issues others had, go away. While you can say there aren't 8 different ways to do algebra that is exactly what we are being taught or at least what we had been taught in high school.

Bullshit! Stop pissing on my leg and telling me it is raining! You are making shit up, plain and simple.
factoring, using the square roots, completing the square and the quadratic formula. graphing. substitution method. elimination method. ( 7 of 8 that I could remember no not all for the same problem it is 3 for one 3 for another)

If the thread I am following is correct, I was giving responses to the multiple application methods I ran across in school.

If the thread I am following is correct, I was giving responses to the multiple application methods I ran across in school.

Was it a math methods course? If not, you should have chosen the method that works best for your understanding of the concept.

Was it a math methods course? If not, you should have chosen the method that works best for your understanding of the concept.
We never had had math methods. It went from algebra 1/2 - geometry - trig- calculus gen/ap

Forum List

Back