Name Your City

SayMyName

Live, Love, Laugh.
Dec 30, 2011
Shanghai, China
I am travelling quite a bit, but home is now Stockholm when not here and there, and definitely not in the states. What is your favorite city in Europe? Expats, it would really be good to hear from you.

I like it because you can walk everywhere. You actually can live downtown, as does most of the population in this country. Crime is low, and you can walk the streets at 3 in the morning with no problem at all. 60 museums within a 30 minute walking distance. Everyone speaks English better than most Americans we know. Ha! You don't need a car. Cycle and walk paths from and to everywhere along with exercise stations. Almost every main street in each major neighborhood has a local live play theater. Restaurants galore. Water, did I mention water. You are surrounded by it. Stockholm is the Venice of the north. Forget what Hannity says, taxes are lower than in the states. Now if I was young again, I might talk about the women...but I won't. *wink*

What is your base of operation while in Europe, or for you natives, your favorite city in Europe? Readers want to know!

Newcastle upon Tyne, home of my former in-laws. The Geordie dialects were so thick with some of them that I may as well not have been part of the family, anyway.

It's the home of Newcastle Brown Ale and the most hideous statue of an angel ever on display.

Fly-Angel.jpg

I've heard Stockholm is wonderful, but it seems ridiculously expensive.

I've heard it's almost as bad as Norway.

I visited Oslo a few years ago, and managed to spend nearly 2 grand in a week. Pints of beer for $12, packs of cigarettes for $20. I don't know if I could live like that.

I've heard Stockholm is wonderful, but it seems ridiculously expensive.

I've heard it's almost as bad as Norway.

I visited Oslo a few years ago, and managed to spend nearly 2 grand in a week. Pints of beer for $12, packs of cigarettes for $20. I don't know if I could live like that.

It is expensive! Then, I got to looking at why I was still holding on to more money. In the end, not having the car and insurance, because you have public transportation here, the less amount paid in taxes (yes, I actually was surprised myself), national healthcare, and such, and realize that if you change the way you spend your money, it is actually cheaper, and the lifestyle so much finer. Thanks for chiming in on this subject! But you are right...Dammit! I love beer! So go to the pub for one...and that is it. Drink the rest at home after going to System Bloget the state liquor store, where the price for a good liter is as cheap as one 12 ounce in the states. Adapt, improvise, and overcome...and Stockholm was why I planted it here.

Ainsa Spain. Hey, I am a small town guy.

Hmmm, you are baaad. I love Spain as well, but if I went back...goodness, the choices. I love Najera, along the pilgrim trail of the Camino de Santiago del Compestela. Then there is Burgos. Dammit! Why did you have to bring up Spain. *wink*

Vienna. I lived 5 years in Germany where my wife is from. We honeymooned in Vienna. The town was lit up at 3 in the morning like it was 3 in the afternoon. Always something to do. Now I understand why the composers, artists and writers hung out there.

I would have to be paid an enormous sum of money to visit Europe or any other country for that matter.

There is Only One City: Paris.

Je l'adore.

Paree, toujours Paree!

But I also like Prague and Rome.

Nicosia Cyprus, I spent a week there in the Military and I fell in love with the Island, the food, the women, I would not mind retiring there if I could but I know it would cost me.

I also like Buenos Aires...... and some little places in Mexico like Guanajuato and Taxco.

oops...not in Europe :redface:...but wonderful all the same

Last edited:
I also like Buenos Aires...... and some little places in Mexico like Guanajuato and Taxco.

oops...not in Europe :redface:...but wonderful all the same

BA is a great city! BUT - when you leave cash out all your local currency. If you hold it for a later visit they will either have (once again) changed to a new currency or will have devalued the old one by 1,000%. Yes, that was a comma and no, it was not a mistake. Just history.

Forum List

Back