My Reasons for voting Trump

TemplarKormac

Political Atheist
Mar 30, 2013
The Land of Sanctuary
What are your reasons for voting for Trump?

Doc, you asked me this in another thread, and I thought about replying to this in the thread we were in. But I thought I could just as easily express it in a thread of my own. I had to mull on this for a while. So, I thought it was time to explain my reasoning to the entire board. The other thing I didn't want to do was offer the token "oh he says it like it is!" response. No... it's not that simple.

Aside from his attitude and his mouth, he's a moderate who isn't afraid to change his mind and take flak for it. I do it all the time on this board. It may sound surprising to you, but in some ways I can relate to him.

He's immoral, though. I don't agree with him much and I am quite well aware of his past positions. Everything he does conflicts with my established morals. But, I'm just one of those folks who believe the Republican party has made many promises and just as easily broke them. And I'm at the point where I don't care anymore. None of the candidates (Trump, too) really inspire me. And as a saying of mine, "there is nothing more dangerous than a voter who doesn't care."

Now, let me tell you a tale of how I left the Republican Party and metamorphosed from a Neo-Conservative to pretty much the moderate/libertarian you see me as today. This ties in to the reason why I'm voting for Trump.

When I came of voting age, I was stoked. I was inspired by everything Glenn Beck said on Fox News. I listened to Rush Limbaugh and almost worshiped Sean Hannity. I was finally able to vote and perform my civic duty. I couldn't stop talking about it. So, I gleefully voted for McCain and Romney my very first two presidential elections. As I paid more attention to the political landscape, I was disenchanted. Each year following the 2008 election, I watched my former party consistently fail to enforce the will of the people who voted for them, including mine. Each time they betrayed us, I got angrier. The year 2010 came and Republicans swept the House of Representatives, and I voted straight ticket Republican. I joined the Tea Party then, too; "this is it" I thought, "the establishment finally got the message!"

To me, I thought there was no way Democrats would have their way when we swept them into the House that year. I found out just how naive I had been. Both for thinking the Republicans would finally heed the will of the voters, and for thinking we had finally stopped the Democrats dead in their tracks. For two years after, I watched more of the same, Republicans caving under pressure from the Democrats, wasting precious time voting on bills they knew would never pass. In 2012 I had just experienced one the most hellish years of my life having to resign from my job and admitting myself to a mental facility after experiencing a severe nervous breakdown. When I came home from the hospital, I had plenty of time to think as I was bed-ridden for three months, so I literally had plenty of time to think to myself, mind you.

I figured that many of my views on life were the cause of my mental issues, so I committed myself to changing them, little by little, starting with my political beliefs. So that year I voted for Romney, but when he failed to win, I left, Tea Party and all. I remember the sense of relief I got when I reconciled myself with leaving. It was distressing feeling obligated to defend positions I knew were untenable, so I sat back and watched.

I was appalled and ashamed. Never had I seen such pure hatred and animosity before. The Republicans I supported didn't represent my values in the least.

I had met a friend a year earlier who identified as a lesbian, yes a lesbian. She taught me a lot of things about being objective and backing up my assertions with facts and proper reasoning and also, of tolerance. As such, what I learned had an indelible impact on me. I used that mindset to instill change in my beliefs. I finally disabused myself from two party politics, started forcing myself to look at both sides of an issue, and not thinking of every Democrat I saw as a traitor to my country. I ditched Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, and Sean Hannity. I began learning to educate myself before spouting off on the internet about things I didn't know one iota about. When I managed to master it, it had the side effect of not only educating me in the political arena, but every arena. When I joined this board in 2013, I was on the way to completing my intellectual and political journey. And I have plenty of people here to thank, too.

But what little was left of my Republican side compelled me one last time to vote for them...

In 2014 I gave my former party one last chance to redeem themselves, and ever since then, they've managed to betray me again. I thought, "never again will I waste my vote on someone who talks me up then lets me down, hard. I will educate myself on any and all candidates and cast my vote for whichever one I deem fit, whether they be liberal, conservative or independent."

I think of that when I listen to Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio repeat their talking points "When I'm president, I'll..." I get tired of hearing it. Many candidates I voted for have made those promises. Repeal Obamacare, secure the border, fight for traditional marriage, ban abortion, those things repeated ad nauseam. I'm done. Let the chips fall where they may. I had my fill of the establishment long ago, and I'm not about to make the same mistake voting for them again.

Trump's unorthodox methods are refreshing in a way. But as my friend taught me, I will remain objective throughout the duration of my support for Donald Trump, while I have the clothespin in hand, ready to clasp my nose shut as I cast my vote. It is sad that it has come to this. I'm voting for him because I feel I have no other choice.

Last edited:
I don't consider myself conservative or liberal, but I'm voting for Trump because he's the alpha-male antithesis of the soft, crybaby, PC-crazed, anti-free-speech crybullying that has flourished under the most race-baiting, crybaby, beta-male president in history. I'm also sick and tired of the Democrats' treasonous fellatio of Islam every time it kills their fellow westerners; it's seriously ghoulish and reeks of western self-hatred. I also want other countries to fear us, because I'm sick and tired of America being an apologetic doormat for the rest of the world's backstabbing parasites who curse our very existence while using us for every advantage they can.

If Trump continues down the road he is on (winning the nominee) I will, of course, vote for him; but I do not think he is the best choice in this contest. Hyperbole and bluster is fine to a point - but he still has to work with Congress. In that regard - he is very close to the narcissist Obama. We are not voting for a King and replacing one "man who would be King" with another won't help much. On the other hand - if he can accomplish HALF of what he claims he can - we WILL be better for it.

Doc, you asked me this in another thread, and I thought about replying to this in the thread we were in. But I thought I could just as easily express it in a thread of my own. I had to mull on this for a while. So, I thought it was time to explain my reasoning to the entire board. The other thing I didn't want to do was offer the token "oh he says it like it is!" response. No... it's not that simple.

Aside from his attitude and his mouth, he's a moderate who isn't afraid to change his mind and take flak for it. I do it all the time on this board. It may sound surprising to you, but in some ways I can relate to him.

He's immoral, though. I don't agree with him much and I am quite well aware of his past positions. Everything he does conflicts with my established morals. But, I'm just one of those folks who believe the Republican party has made many promises and just as easily broke them. And I'm at the point where I don't care anymore. None of the candidates (Trump, too) really inspire me. And as a saying of mine, "there is nothing more dangerous than a voter who doesn't care."

Now, let me tell you a tale of how I left the Republican Party and metamorphosed from a Neo-Conservative to pretty much the moderate/libertarian you see me as today. This ties in to the reason why I'm voting for Trump.

When I came of voting age, I was stoked. I was inspired by everything Glenn Beck said on Fox News. I listened to Rush Limbaugh and almost worshiped Sean Hannity. I was finally able to vote and perform my civic duty. I couldn't stop talking about it. So, I gleefully voted for McCain and Romney my very first two presidential elections. As I paid more attention to the political landscape, I was disenchanted. Each year following the 2008 election, I watched my former party consistently fail to enforce the will of the people who voted for them, including mine. Each time they betrayed us, and each time I got angrier. The year 2010 came and Republicans swept the House of Representatives, and I voted straight ticket Republican. I joined the Tea Party then, too; "this is it" I thought, "the establishment finally got the message!"

To me, I thought there was no way Democrats would have their way when we swept them into the House that year. I found out just how naive I had been. Both for thinking the Republicans would finally heed the will of the voters, and for thinking we had finally stopped the Democrats dead in their tracks. For two years after, I watched more of the same, Republicans caving under pressure from the Democrats, wasting precious time voting on bills they knew would never pass. In 2012 I had just experienced one the most hellish years of my life having to resign from my job and admitting myself to a mental facility after experiencing a severe nervous breakdown. When I came home from the hospital, I had plenty of time to think as I was bed-ridden for three months, so I literally had plenty of time to think to myself, mind you.

I figured that many of my views on life were the cause of my mental issues, so I committed myself to changing them, little by little, starting with my political beliefs. So that year I voted for Romney, but when he failed to win, I left, Tea Party and all. I remember the sense of relief I got when I reconciled myself with leaving. It was distressing feeling obligated to defend positions I knew were untenable, so I sat back and watched.

I was appalled and ashamed. Never had I seen such pure hatred and animosity before. The Republicans I supported didn't represent my values in the least.

I had met a friend a year earlier who identified as a lesbian, yes a lesbian. She taught me a lot of things about being objective and backing up my assertions with facts and proper reasoning and also, of tolerance. As such, what I learned had an indelible impact on me. I used that mindset to instill change in my beliefs. I finally disabused myself from two party politics, started forcing myself to look at both sides of an issue, and not thinking of every Democrat I saw as a traitor to my country. I ditched Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, and Sean Hannity. I began learning to educate myself before spouting off on the internet about things I didn't know one iota about. When I managed to master it, it had the side effect of not only educating me in the political arena, but every arena. When I joined this board in 2013, I was on the way to completing my intellectual and political journey. And I have plenty of people here to thank, too.

But what little was left of my Republican side compelled me one last time to vote for them...

In 2014 I gave my former party one last chance to redeem themselves, and ever since then, they've managed to betray me again. I thought, "never again will I waste my vote on someone who talks me up then lets me down, hard. I will educate myself on any and all candidates and cast my vote for whichever one I deem fit, whether they be liberal, conservative or independent."

I think of that when I listen to Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio repeat their talking points "When I'm president, I'll..." I get tired of hearing it. Many candidates I voted for have made those promises. Repeal Obamacare, secure the border, fight for traditional marriage, ban abortion, those things repeated ad nauseam. I'm done. Let the chips fall where they may. I had my fill of the establishment long ago, and I'm not about to make the same mistake voting for them again.

Trump's unorthodox methods are refreshing in a way. But as my friend taught me, I will remain objective throughout the duration of my support for Donald Trump, while I have the clothespin in hand, ready to clasp my nose shut as I cast my vote. It is sad that it has come to this. I'm voting for him because I feel I have no other choice.
Thank you for sharing that, TK. I agree with you about the feeling of betrayal, but I have also felt the feeling of hopelessness when it comes to the deep division we are experiencing in politics and everyday life. I ask myself, why doesn't this bother Democrats? All of us should be looking for the candidate who will for once work FOR the country instead of securing their personal future.

Trump certainly is not perfect and has a lot to learn when it comes to being presidential. I don't like his mouth, but agree with the sentiment. I see today that China is already intimidated and Iran continues to claim the West is their fervent enemy. Can he handle this? I don't know.

I think it is imperative for the party to acquiesce and realize that Trump may be the nominee. He is going to need a great deal of help in dealing with the politics of every event. They had better be the "Go TO" source for this help or the party will never be great again. Just my two cents.

Trump pisses off the commies and that is the only reason he has my vote.

When I came of voting age, I was stoked. I was inspired by everything Glenn Beck said on Fox News. I listened to Rush Limbaugh and almost worshiped Sean Hannity. I was finally able to vote and perform my civic duty. I couldn't stop talking about it. So, I gleefully voted for McCain and Romney my very first two presidential elections. As I paid more attention to the political landscape, I was disenchanted. Each year following the 2008 election, I watched my former party consistently fail to enforce the will of the people who voted for them, including mine. Each time they betrayed us, and each time I got angrier. The year 2010 came and Republicans swept the House of Representatives, and I voted straight ticket Republican. I joined the Tea Party then, too; "this is it" I thought, "the establishment finally got the message!"

Thank you for sharing that, TK. I agree with you about the feeling of betrayal, but I have also felt the feeling of hopelessness when it comes to the deep division we are experiencing in politics and everyday life. I ask myself, why doesn't this bother Democrats? All of us should be looking for the candidate who will for once work FOR the country instead of securing their personal future.

Trump certainly is not perfect and has a lot to learn when it comes to being presidential. I don't like his mouth, but agree with the sentiment. I see today that China is already intimidated and Iran continues to claim the West is their fervent enemy. Can he handle this? I don't know.

I think it is imperative for the party to acquiesce and realize that Trump may be the nominee. He is going to need a great deal of help in dealing with the politics of every event. They had better be the "Go TO" source for this help or the party will never be great again. Just my two cents.

When you convince yourself that everyone who disagrees with you is "securing their personal future" and not "work FOR the country", then you're the one being divisive.

Trump is the only non-politician in this race and the only one who will even make an attempt to do what he says he will do. None of the others can be trusted to keep their word.

When you convince yourself that everyone who disagrees with you is "securing their personal future" and not "work FOR the country", then you're the one being divisive.
I don't mind if a congressman disagrees with me, I mind that they are listening to lobbyists and special interests instead of their constituents.

Trump is the only non-politician in this race and the only one who will even make an attempt to do what he says he will do. None of the others can be trusted to keep their word.
I have not heard Trump tell a fib yet, refreshing.

I think the Bible being his favorite book is a stretch. Some of his comments I believe stretch the truth now that I think about it, but I do believe his core policies are those he will concentrate on. He is more honest than Cruz or Rubio in my estimation.

I think the Bible being his favorite book is a stretch. Some of his comments I believe stretch the truth now that I think about it, but I do believe his core policies are those he will concentrate on. He is more honest than Cruz or Rubio in my estimation.

A long time ago there used to be a Gideon's Bible in every cheap motel room and I am sure that Trump has been down in the trenches in a cheap motel room at least once with nothing to read but the Bible.

I don't mind if a congressman disagrees with me, I mind that they are listening to lobbyists and special interests instead of their constituents.

What makes you think those lobbyists and special interests aren't "constituents" themselves, or representative of constiuents?

You're making a lot of sweeping generalizations, without thinking it through.

What makes you think those lobbyists and special interests aren't "constituents" themselves, or representative of constiuents?

You're making a lot of sweeping generalizations, without thinking it through.
lol, perhaps they are SUPER Constituents with DEEP POCKETS, huh?

Why the fuck would you expect Donald Trump to "keep his word"?
Trump is a creature of comfort and will keep his word to go down in the history books as Old Honest Don.

Forum List

Back