Museums Shuttering Native American Exhibits - More Museum and Arts Suicide

That's why Trump called Elizabeth Warren "Pocahontas." Was he childish? Yes. But he had a point.

You need to display that in all its disgusting detail. No doubt about that.
Go to Oklahoma and see it all yous want I did when I lived there 24 years.

Fuck these intolerant, ignorant injuns.
Not only should none of that history be censored but the exhibits should have the history of injuns annihilating other injun tribes for centuries added to them. Let people know how ruthless and hateful injuns were.
Europeans are such a blessing to humanity.

Or black trannies.

jim-carrey-gag.gif

If it weren't for these museums these items would be lost to time, and you'd know nothing of them. You're a fool.
The native American tribal people were not noted for currating artifacts from their own history. Unlike most civilized cultures, they did not cling to hierlooms, nor have tribal objects that were kept across generations. They used things as long as they were useful, making no distinction between, say a recently produced stone axe, and a stone axe made by their great-great grandfather that they were still using.

If either one broke, or was sharpened so often it could not be useful again, they simply discarded it along the trail in their nomadic existence.

That's a long way to go to say that you are right. Without "white" museums (in which descendents of tribal people are welcome to visit, and not at all barred from jobs, from professional to custodial), those precious parts of history would be rotting in the ground right now.

The native American tribal people were not noted for currating artifacts from their own history. Unlike most civilized cultures, they did not cling to hierlooms, nor have tribal objects that were kept across generations. They used things as long as they were useful, making no distinction between, say a recently produced stone axe, and a stone axe made by their great-great grandfather that they were still using.

If either one broke, or was sharpened so often it could not be useful again, they simply discarded it along the trail in their nomadic existence.

That's a long way to go to say that you are right. Without "white" museums (in which descendents of tribal people are welcome to visit, and not at all barred from jobs, from professional to custodial), those precious parts of history would be rotting in the ground right now.
It’s called survival mode.
European settlers broke that cycle with civilization.

For that matter, North American Tribal people, along with not owning the artifacts they discarded, did not "own the land" that the whites "stole" from them. They did not even know what land ownership was. It was like owning the clouds, or the rivers to them.

The Aztecs and other ancient people's understood land ownership, but they were wiped out by the Spanish, not by the English and immigrants who settled north America.

For that matter, North American Tribal people, along with not owning the artifacts they discarded, did not "own the land" that the whites "stole" from them. They did not even know what land ownership was. It was like owning the clouds, or the rivers to them.

The Aztecs and other ancient people's understood land ownership, but they were wiped out by the Spanish, not by the English and immigrants who settled north America.
With a big assist from smallpox et. al.

I am personally in mourning; the Museum of Natural History is closing to exhibits I grew up with, the Eastern Woodlands and Great Plains exhibit.
I too am saddened by the closing, but.....but I have confidence that well-intentioned museum directors partnering with tribal interest will once again re-open Native American wings as educational venues.
I'm quite OK with the tribes seeking the re-patriation of sacred objects, and quite OK with the tribes contributing to and advising on objects and representations that they feel illustrate their ancestors and their culture more accurately.

I'm saddened. But hopeful they will re-open as 'new & improved'.
A win-win for everybody. Museums know well how popular these Indigenous wings are; and the tribes know well the opportunity to educate that exists with these displays.

And how is vandalizing museum collections going to help them
"Vandalizing".....umm?
You may wanna re-think that rhetorical query.
It wrongly implies there is a sense of malice and recklessness by both Museum leadership and tribal interests.

I believe neither malice nor recklessness exists in this development.

With a big assist from smallpox et. al.
Yes, well shit happens.

It could’ve easily been the other way. Settlers could’ve moved in meth native Americans, and found out too late. They had a horrible disease that they had involved cope with that wiped all the settlers out.

North America was untamed and wild. The Native American tribes had chosen to break some lives to the wild animals. Yet the English and immigrant settlers did not hunt them for sport. No breed them like cattle. Nor use them as slaves as the Spanish did. The Native Americans could’ve live peacefully as they always had, if they simply let the settlers Alone in the lands they were developing.

Forum List

Back