CDZ Moving to the AZ to live in the pines....

Rambunctious

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2010
The virus and the closeness of an approaching cold war with China has led me to rethink my life and where and how I live...I'm selling my home and moving to northern AZ...I made the decision last week and decided to pull the trigger as I have suddenly found a buyer for my home in San Diego...My neighbor has decided he wants my house and has made a very good offer and I excepted....

Its all happening so fast like its been preordained....I just fixed my place up and now I will be moving to a rental home while I find the right location to build a cabin....so it will be a culture shock at first...the town near where I plan to live is a Trump town and has two Trump stores within walking distance from each other.....So I expect I will fit right in....

I told my ex wife last night and she cried which surprised me a little...we still live a block from each other and are still good friends....I will miss my grandson but will fly him up from time to time to visit...I guess I'm searching for something in my life more than mowing the lawn and cleaning the pool...any thoughts or stories of experience in this type of move from you folks would be appreciated...

A little scared and outside of my comfort zone but I want to live this life not just exist in it....

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear; nor did I wish to practise resignation, unless it was quite necessary. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, to live so sturdily and Spartan-like as to put to rout all that was not life, to cut a broad swath and shave close, to drive life into a corner, and reduce it to its lowest terms...”

― Henry David Thoreau

Thanks for reading.....

The virus and the closeness of an approaching cold war with China has led me to rethink my life and where and how I live...I'm selling my home and moving to northern AZ...I made the decision last week and decided to pull the trigger as I have suddenly found a buyer for my home in San Diego...My neighbor has decided he wants my house and has made a very good offer and I excepted....

Its all happening so fast like its been preordained....I just fixed my place up and now I will be moving to a rental home while I find the right location to build a cabin....so it will be a culture shock at first...the town near where I plan to live is a Trump town and has two Trump stores within walking distance from each other.....So I expect I will fit right in....

I told my ex wife last night and she cried which surprised me a little...we still live a block from each other and are still good friends....I will miss my grandson but will fly him up from time to time to visit...I guess I'm searching for something in my life more than mowing the lawn and cleaning the pool...any thoughts or stories of experience in this type of move from you folks would be appreciated...

A little scared and outside of my comfort zone but I want to live this life not just exist in it....

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear; nor did I wish to practise resignation, unless it was quite necessary. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, to live so sturdily and Spartan-like as to put to rout all that was not life, to cut a broad swath and shave close, to drive life into a corner, and reduce it to its lowest terms...”

― Henry David Thoreau

Thanks for reading.....
Beautiful country up there. If you're going to be among the pines your biggest issue will be wild fires, make sure you include a well cleared area around your house when you build it. Water would be your second concern, make sure you know what the water regulations are, some localities/States restrict how you can use well water based on lot size if you sink a well. Some localities/States require you install a septic system.
Yup it will be a MAJOR change moving from San Diego to the boonies......... Serious culture shock...... :lol:

― Henry David Thoreau

Thanks for reading.....
Beautiful country up there. If you're going to be among the pines your biggest issue will be wild fires, make sure you include a well cleared area around your house when you build it. Water would be your second concern, make sure you know what the water regulations are, some localities/States restrict how you can use well water based on lot size if you sink a well. Some localities/States require you install a septic system.
Yup it will be a MAJOR change moving from San Diego to the boonies......... Serious culture shock...... :lol:
I don't know where to begin....my head is spinning...pack up and hope for the best...I will be driving to AZ next week to look for rentals....or a long term RV site to reside until I find my knew home...

― Henry David Thoreau

Thanks for reading.....
I don't know where to begin....my head is spinning...pack up and hope for the best...I will be driving to AZ next week to look for rentals....or a long term RV site to reside until I find my knew home...
Yeah, you have a lot to think about, a lot to research. If you do build up in the boonies you'll also have to deal with wild life, other than rattle snakes you really don't have to worry too much about anything else. Good luck on your search.
Oh and you could always go "off grid" but your problem will always be power, not bad it do have a good stream on your property with a decent head fall to make your own mini-hydroelectric (pelton wheel) setup.
Here's some info on water resources for you, save it for later as you're probably too busy right now.

Arizona Department of Water Resources | Protecting & enhancing Arizona’s water supplies for current and future generations.

― Henry David Thoreau

Thanks for reading.....
Don't you have to hike 2 miles for water there ?

― Henry David Thoreau

Thanks for reading.....
LOL no...I don't plan on being more than 10 to 15 miles or so from Show Low AZ near Show Low lake because I love to fish and golf but who knows...I may find the right spot with a home already on the property but I'm kind of excited about building a cabin....

― Henry David Thoreau

Thanks for reading.....
Good luck on the move. Change like this is always intimidating but if you stay open to new things they can be a very exciting and rewarding experience.

I am curious though... what is a Trump store?

― Henry David Thoreau

Thanks for reading.....
You probably don't want to be more specific about northern AZ where, but I used to live in Apache Junction, which is the east end of Phoenix. I couldn't get out of there fast enough. I absolutely hate the desert. But I've been around the state and northern AZ is pretty. A bit isolated though, and the fires are bad. But there's Elk and even Buffalo up there. I kinda like it around Payson myself, but wouldn't want to live there.

― Henry David Thoreau

Thanks for reading.....
LOL no...I don't plan on being more than 10 to 15 miles or so from Show Low AZ near Show Low lake because I love to fish and golf but who knows...I may find the right spot with a home already on the property but I'm kind of excited about building a cabin....
Beautiful place. Winters might be tough for someone used to San Diego.

― Henry David Thoreau

Thanks for reading.....
Make sure you've got a GUN, like a .44 MAG. Traveling alone, living alone, you can be a target. Make sure you can defend yourself in the middle of nowhere all by yourself.

― Henry David Thoreau

Thanks for reading.....
You probably don't want to be more specific about northern AZ where, but I used to live in Apache Junction, which is the east end of Phoenix. I couldn't get out of there fast enough. I absolutely hate the desert. But I've been around the state and northern AZ is pretty. A bit isolated though, and the fires are bad. But there's Elk and even Buffalo up there. I kinda like it around Payson myself, but wouldn't want to live there.
Love the desert, but we’re mobile.
368E6D8C-6652-4940-A18E-4FB92DF3918A.jpeg

― Henry David Thoreau

Thanks for reading.....
Many different (relatively cheap) ways to build; Adobe, Earth bag, Cobb, ICF's (Insulated Concrete Forms), etc.
Years ago I was researching all of this and decided on earth bag but nature took me on a different course and I would have to hire a company who does that or does adobe. Still cheaper than most traditional homes and basically (mostly) fire proof.

― Henry David Thoreau

Thanks for reading.....
Make sure you've got a GUN, like a .44 MAG. Traveling alone, living alone, you can be a target. Make sure you can defend yourself in the middle of nowhere all by yourself.
Paranoid. Yes?

We boondock in the desert for weeks. Not a soul around. Love it.

― Henry David Thoreau

Thanks for reading.....
Very nice

― Henry David Thoreau

Thanks for reading.....
Paranoid. Yes?

We boondock in the desert for weeks. Not a soul around. Love it.
Paranoid. No.

Prepared. Yes.

I don't care how long you've been doing this or that, it only takes once. You want me to find stories about people that go missing or are killed while camping or hiking, whatever? There's tens of thousands...

― Henry David Thoreau

Thanks for reading.....
He wouldn't be that far from Payson, east to Show Low.

Forum List

Back