CDZ Moving to the AZ to live in the pines....

Thinking of building or finding a good deal on something like this near a lake and golf resort....

View attachment 369598

They did it off grid but you don't have to, you can make it as modern as you like with electric, running water, plumbing, A.C. etc. As with all earth, concrete, brick walls there is no R rating, it's transference, hot to cold, cold to hot. As the walls warm up the heat is slowely transferred inwards so when the temp drops at night the walls are radiating stored heat inward. Conversely through the night the walls slowly cool ultimately radiating cold inward during the day. Being where you are you can supplement with a swamp cooler for the heat of summer and a wood or pellet stove for the winter.

Thinking of building or finding a good deal on something like this near a lake and golf resort....

View attachment 369598
Instead buy a motorhome and travel the country.
I have a class A coach...may end up living in it a while if I do build....this is all brand new....thought I would die in my home here...but I'm done...I'm looking for peace and tranquility.....
Okay. We know of a few RVers who love AZ. They stay in the deserts of southern AZ for the winter. Then move up to higher elevations around Flagstaff for the summer. I’d love that. Perfect weather year round.
I stayed in Quartsite for three weeks once at a thing called RTR...had a blast...hundreds of snow birds in RV's of all types...
Been there for the annual RV show. Thousands of rvers there. All over the desert.

Welcome to Arizona. Payson? Show Low? I'm guessing someplace up on the Rim, as Flagstaff would be too Democratic. Being originally from the Cleveland area I had my fill of snow 5 years after college and so I've only visited that part of our state in summer. Plus I never wanted anything to do with snow chains.

Best of luck.

Welcome to Arizona. Payson? Show Low? I'm guessing someplace up on the Rim, as Flagstaff would be too Democratic. Being originally from the Cleveland area I had my fill of snow 5 years after college and so I've only visited that part of our state in summer. Plus I never wanted anything to do with snow chains.

Best of luck.
I expect the area gets flooded with folks from Phoenix escaping the heat of summer but winters a bit more quiet....

The virus and the closeness of an approaching cold war with China has led me to rethink my life and where and how I live...I'm selling my home and moving to northern AZ...I made the decision last week and decided to pull the trigger as I have suddenly found a buyer for my home in San Diego...My neighbor has decided he wants my house and has made a very good offer and I excepted....

Its all happening so fast like its been preordained....I just fixed my place up and now I will be moving to a rental home while I find the right location to build a cabin....so it will be a culture shock at first...the town near where I plan to live is a Trump town and has two Trump stores within walking distance from each other.....So I expect I will fit right in....

I told my ex wife last night and she cried which surprised me a little...we still live a block from each other and are still good friends....I will miss my grandson but will fly him up from time to time to visit...I guess I'm searching for something in my life more than mowing the lawn and cleaning the pool...any thoughts or stories of experience in this type of move from you folks would be appreciated...

A little scared and outside of my comfort zone but I want to live this life not just exist in it....

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear; nor did I wish to practise resignation, unless it was quite necessary. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, to live so sturdily and Spartan-like as to put to rout all that was not life, to cut a broad swath and shave close, to drive life into a corner, and reduce it to its lowest terms...”

― Henry David Thoreau

Thanks for reading.....
You'll love it! Greer, Pinetop, Show Low, Flagstaff it's all beautiful up there. Best of luck.

Best of luck.
I expect the area gets flooded with folks from Phoenix escaping the heat of summer but winters a bit more quiet....
Ya know, if you build you can always support the Russians......... :)

Best of luck.
Ya know, if you build you can always support the Russians......... :)

That's cool...I've already spoken with a contractor in AZ that does this kind of construction....

The virus and the closeness of an approaching cold war with China has led me to rethink my life and where and how I live...I'm selling my home and moving to northern AZ...I made the decision last week and decided to pull the trigger as I have suddenly found a buyer for my home in San Diego...My neighbor has decided he wants my house and has made a very good offer and I excepted....

Its all happening so fast like its been preordained....I just fixed my place up and now I will be moving to a rental home while I find the right location to build a cabin....so it will be a culture shock at first...the town near where I plan to live is a Trump town and has two Trump stores within walking distance from each other.....So I expect I will fit right in....

I told my ex wife last night and she cried which surprised me a little...we still live a block from each other and are still good friends....I will miss my grandson but will fly him up from time to time to visit...I guess I'm searching for something in my life more than mowing the lawn and cleaning the pool...any thoughts or stories of experience in this type of move from you folks would be appreciated...

A little scared and outside of my comfort zone but I want to live this life not just exist in it....

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear; nor did I wish to practise resignation, unless it was quite necessary. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, to live so sturdily and Spartan-like as to put to rout all that was not life, to cut a broad swath and shave close, to drive life into a corner, and reduce it to its lowest terms...”

― Henry David Thoreau

Thanks for reading.....
Don't you have to hike 2 miles for water there ?
LOL no...I don't plan on being more than 10 to 15 miles or so from Show Low AZ near Show Low lake because I love to fish and golf but who knows...I may find the right spot with a home already on the property but I'm kind of excited about building a cabin....
Be very careful and check out crime statistics. Show Low has one of the highest crime rates in the country.

― Henry David Thoreau

Thanks for reading.....

I hope that works out for. I did something similar, just a couple of months ago, and moved to a small town in the Rockies. A nice vantage point to watch the world burn.

― Henry David Thoreau

Thanks for reading.....

I hope that works out for. I did something similar, just a couple of months ago, and moved to a small town in the Rockies. A nice vantage point to watch the world burn.
Was it an adjustment at first?...

― Henry David Thoreau

Thanks for reading.....
Don't you have to hike 2 miles for water there ?
LOL no...I don't plan on being more than 10 to 15 miles or so from Show Low AZ near Show Low lake because I love to fish and golf but who knows...I may find the right spot with a home already on the property but I'm kind of excited about building a cabin....
Be very careful and check out crime statistics. Show Low has one of the highest crime rates in the country.
Thanks I haven't looked at those stats yet...

― Henry David Thoreau

Thanks for reading.....
.....change is ''uncomfortable''' for humans ..but we adapt ....I'd think of it as an adventure/etc

― Henry David Thoreau

Thanks for reading.....
Besides them shipping me off to the moutains every summer as a kid ...ive only lived in large metropolitan areas my whole life until 2016

Street lights ...no street lights ....i love it
It also helps if you already know someone in the area you're moving to

Its been a nice change for me

― Henry David Thoreau

Thanks for reading.....

Was it an adjustment at first?...

Still adjusting. Lived in Brooklyn and Manhattan for several years, so it's definitely a change of pace. I'm mostly looking forward to this winter. I love to ski, and I'm now within 30 minutes of six different mountains. But with covid, the ski season might be a real shit show. I was sure hoping we'd be on the downhill side of it by now.

― Henry David Thoreau

Thanks for reading.....

im taking a job outside of Jarome AZ. lotbof guys going there from here. godspeed dude. i rhink you will like it.

― Henry David Thoreau

Thanks for reading.....
FWIW I live in a 4000 sqft bunker 18' underground.

― Henry David Thoreau

Thanks for reading.....

im taking a job outside of Jarome AZ. lotbof guys going there from here. godspeed dude. i rhink you will like it.
Sounds GREAT! Good luck. I am sure Tejas will be a find memory.

I live among the pines. A couple of things you might consider: Elevation, does it snow? If so, be sure to either find a place with a flat driveway that leads to a public road that is plowed regularly. Get a snow plow or a quad with a snow blade. Drive a 4x4 of some kind. Make sure your place has wood burning heat as well as HVAC. Also, as someone already posted, make sure you have a fire break around your property. I love it where I am, hope you enjoy your new digs!

Forum List

Back