Mormon girl comes out as gay in church. The church cuts her mic...

again, you need to talk to the nuns and priests who told impressionable children that they were after scaring the shit out of us about how awful hell was.

And when you get down to it, that's what this thread is kind of about. How churches indoctrinate children. the Tobacco companies have nothing on Big Religion.

Again, that's not what the Church taught for centuries and was STILL teaching up until the 1970's when I went to school. The fact that it wasn't playing well with test audiences and they had to change their dogma just kind of shows how much of bullshit this was. "Whoops, there weren't any witches or Limbo?"

That really falls into the line of "We are making this shit up!"

That's not what the bible says. The bible clearly says that God created the flood to destroy mankind for its wickedness.

6:5 And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.
6:6 And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.
6:7 And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.

No, I'm someone who saw through the bullshit. I'm sorry one out of four of you are so brainwashed that you keep slurping it down with a big stupid smile.

No, God isn't a Genii. He doesn't exist. That's my point. He doesn't stop any bad thing from happening. He didn't stop the Holocaust. The Red Army did. He didn't stop Jeff Dahmner. The Milwaukee Police did (after dropping the ball a bunch of times.)

But again- missing the point. If "all the gods are true, let's enjoy some pancakes" interfaith breakfast view is true, what's the point of having a religion. If Quezacoatl is just as true a name of God as Jehovah, does that mean that God was totally cool with ripping people's hearts out to keep the sun in the sky?

so if all religions are just guesses, what makes your silly guess any more valid? That you have a 2000 year scam of nice art and pedophile priests. "Whoops. Better get rid of Limbo, it's not playing well with the test audiences!"

1. Sorry your Catholic School curriculum was so different from mine. The Sisters of Notre Dame were awesome. No rulers. Noted that Dante's Inferno was fiction and allegory. Answered the silliest questions with respect and often humor.

2. God is the healer of souls. I understand some feel God should make souls so that no healing is required, but that is another discussion. This life is a mixture of good and evil, joy and sadness, pain and healing. God's part: Healer of our soul.

1. Sorry your Catholic School curriculum was so different from mine. The Sisters of Notre Dame were awesome. No rulers. Noted that Dante's Inferno was fiction and allegory. Answered the silliest questions with respect and often humor.

2. God is the healer of souls. I understand some feel God should make souls so that no healing is required, but that is another discussion. This life is a mixture of good and evil, joy and sadness, pain and healing. God's part: Healer of our soul.

That was kind of weak. It sounds like a lot of excuse making.

That was kind of weak. It sounds like a lot of excuse making.

Perhaps you remember the parable of the mustard seed, or the parable of the yeast. It may seem that we begin with something minuscule, but it has a way of growing. I simply want you to be at peace. I don't think you are going to find that peace hanging around something you hate.

Perhaps you remember the parable of the mustard seed, or the parable of the yeast. It may seem that we begin with something minuscule, but it has a way of growing. I simply want you to be at peace. I don't think you are going to find that peace hanging around something you hate.

I spend, what, 10 - 20 minutes a day slapping down religious nutters on message boards, it's hardly occupying my life.

I spend, what, 10 - 20 minutes a day slapping down religious nutters on message boards, it's hardly occupying my life.

Not much of your life, but perhaps too much of your heart?

If it eases your heart, we can take the slaps (we were taught to turn the other cheek ;) ). Still, it may ease your heart even more to just let it go and be at peace.

Not much of your life, but perhaps too much of your heart?

If it eases your heart, we can take the slaps (we were taught to turn the other cheek ;) ). Still, it may ease your heart even more to just let it go and be at peace.

When you guys stop trying to impose your fairy tales on the rest of us, I'll be happy to stop slapping.

Instead, you are all happy to be the useful idiots of the one percent, which is why you keep voting for people who dismantle the middle class because they are right with Jesus and are against the gays and the abortions. (neither of which Jesus ever actually talked about, but never mind.)

The problem is that most sensible people are afraid to say anything that might get them labeled by a society full of despots and self-righteous hypocrites seeking votes...

So what's your "Sensible" argument against homosexuality?

You can't say "I think it's icky", because straight people engage in fellatio, cunnilingus and anal, too.

And you can't say, "God says it's bad", because there are a whole shitload of things that God says are bad, including posting on a message board on the Sabbath like you are doing today.

This reminds me of a story from The Book of Mormon, of a vision that Lehi had. In this vision, Lehi saw a great and spacious building, full of wicked people who mocked and scoffed at those who were seeking or who had found salvation, causing many to be ashamed and intimidated, and to wander off into the darkness and be lost.

Do we not see this very thing happening in our society today? Those who have embraced evil and madness have an attitude of mockery and scorn toward those of us who try to be good and decent, and too many of us allow ourselves to be shamed and intimidated into giving way to evil, rather than standing against it.

Again, I think there's nothing wrong with standing up against bad behavior.

But you homophobes really haven't shown me yet why two people who love each other are "wicked" because they happen to be of the same sex.

Meanwhile, the Book of Mormon said it was perfectly okay for Joseph Smith and Brigham Young to marry multiple women, some of them girls as young as 14.

Not true. The Book of Mormons does not promote polygamy. Many people think it does because Joseph Smith and his followers had multiple wives. The Book of Mormons, as evidenced by the following verses, utterly and clearly condemns the practice of polygamy:
“And now it came to pass that the people of Nephi, under the reign of the second king, began to grow hard in their hearts, and indulge themselves somewhat in wicked practices, such as like unto David of old desiring many wives and concubines, and also Solomon, his son” (Jacob 1:15).

“Behold, David and Solomon truly had many wives and concubines, which thing was abominable before me, saith the Lord” (Jacob 2:24) “Wherefore, my brethren, hear me, and hearken to the word of the Lord: For there shall not any man among you have save it be one wife; and concubines he shall have none” (Jacob 2:27).

“For behold, he did not keep the commandments of God, but ... he had many wives and concubines” (Mosiah 11:2).“Riplakish did not do that which was right in the sight of the Lord, for he did have many wives and concubines” (Ether 10:5).

The Bible, on the other hand, does not specifically condemn polygamy except on the case of those who would be bishops in their Church. Many of the Biblical patriarchs had multiple wives and Solomon, the wisest of all men, had 700 wives and 300 concubines (1 Kings 11:3). Not only was polygamy permitted, in the case of a Levirate marriage it was actually expected: “If brethren dwell together, and one of them die, and have no child, the wife of the dead shall not marry without unto a stranger: her husband's brother shall go in unto her, and take her to him to wife, and perform the duty of an husband's brother unto her. And it shall be, that the firstborn which she beareth shall succeed in the name of his brother which is dead, that his name be not put out of Israel” (Deuteronomy 25:5,6, KJV).

The only Biblical restrictions on polygamy are reserved for those who would become bishops in their Church: “ A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach” (1 Timothy 3:2, KJV; see also Titus 1:5-7).
So there you have it: Mormons practiced polygamy even though the Book of Mormons absolutely prohibited this practice while today's Christians condemn polygamy even though the Bible has no express prohibitions against it.

You forgot the "trying to"

The problem is that most sensible people are afraid to say anything that might get them labeled by a society full of despots and self-righteous hypocrites seeking votes...

You can't say "I think it's icky", because straight people engage in fellatio, cunnilingus and anal, too.

And you can't say, "God says it's bad", because there are a whole shitload of things that God says are bad, including posting on a message board on the Sabbath like you are doing today.

This reminds me of a story from The Book of Mormon, of a vision that Lehi had. In this vision, Lehi saw a great and spacious building, full of wicked people who mocked and scoffed at those who were seeking or who had found salvation, causing many to be ashamed and intimidated, and to wander off into the darkness and be lost.

Do we not see this very thing happening in our society today? Those who have embraced evil and madness have an attitude of mockery and scorn toward those of us who try to be good and decent, and too many of us allow ourselves to be shamed and intimidated into giving way to evil, rather than standing against it.

But you homophobes really haven't shown me yet why two people who love each other are "wicked" because they happen to be of the same sex.

Meanwhile, the Book of Mormon said it was perfectly okay for Joseph Smith and Brigham Young to marry multiple women, some of them girls as young as 14.

Not true. The Book of Mormons does not promote polygamy. Many people think it does because Joseph Smith and his followers had multiple wives. The Book of Mormons, as evidenced by the following verses, utterly and clearly condemns the practice of polygamy:
“And now it came to pass that the people of Nephi, under the reign of the second king, began to grow hard in their hearts, and indulge themselves somewhat in wicked practices, such as like unto David of old desiring many wives and concubines, and also Solomon, his son” (Jacob 1:15).

“Behold, David and Solomon truly had many wives and concubines, which thing was abominable before me, saith the Lord” (Jacob 2:24) “Wherefore, my brethren, hear me, and hearken to the word of the Lord: For there shall not any man among you have save it be one wife; and concubines he shall have none” (Jacob 2:27).

“For behold, he did not keep the commandments of God, but ... he had many wives and concubines” (Mosiah 11:2).“Riplakish did not do that which was right in the sight of the Lord, for he did have many wives and concubines” (Ether 10:5).

The Bible, on the other hand, does not specifically condemn polygamy except on the case of those who would be bishops in their Church. Many of the Biblical patriarchs had multiple wives and Solomon, the wisest of all men, had 700 wives and 300 concubines (1 Kings 11:3). Not only was polygamy permitted, in the case of a Levirate marriage it was actually expected: “If brethren dwell together, and one of them die, and have no child, the wife of the dead shall not marry without unto a stranger: her husband's brother shall go in unto her, and take her to him to wife, and perform the duty of an husband's brother unto her. And it shall be, that the firstborn which she beareth shall succeed in the name of his brother which is dead, that his name be not put out of Israel” (Deuteronomy 25:5,6, KJV).

The only Biblical restrictions on polygamy are reserved for those who would become bishops in their Church: “ A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach” (1 Timothy 3:2, KJV; see also Titus 1:5-7).
So there you have it: Mormons practiced polygamy even though the Book of Mormons absolutely prohibited this practice while today's Christians condemn polygamy even though the Bible has no express prohibitions against it.

Actually the Book of Mormon does give one instance when polygamy is allowed in Jacob 2:30.

The Bible in Genesis, Mathew and Ephesians speaks of a man sticking to a wife and the two become one flesh, my thought is one man one wife, though it doesn't say so specifically.

Actually the Book of Mormon does give one instance when polygamy is allowed in Jacob 2:30.

This is from the Book of Mormons, Jacob 2:30: " For if I will, saith the Lord of Hosts, raise up seed unto me, I will command my people; otherwise they shall hearken unto these things."

I don't see how that supports polygamy. Perhaps you can explain.

The Bible in Genesis, Mathew and Ephesians speaks of a man sticking to a wife and the two become one flesh, my thought is one man one wife, though it doesn't say so specifically.

Great response.

This is from the Book of Mormons, Jacob 2:30: " For if I will, saith the Lord of Hosts, raise up seed unto me, I will command my people; otherwise they shall hearken unto these things."

I don't see how that supports polygamy. Perhaps you can explain.

If the Lord commands it, its allowed otherwise not

though it doesn't say so specifically.

do you mean the state license that keeps you together - sortof like scriptures, written record for you to follow ...

do you mean the state license that keeps you together - sortof like scriptures, written record for you to follow ...

A state license doesn't keep you together.

The fact I have four or five of you whining about me tells me that I'm being pretty effective.

You mean when Joseph Smith (dum-dum-dum-dum-dum) was plagiarizing the bible, he copied some verses that would indicate polygamy was not so cool.. probably before he realized he could get his dumb ass followers to hand over their teenage daughters.

The difference between Joseph Smith and David Koresh?

Original and Extra Crispy!!!!

The fact I have four or five of you whining about me tells me that I'm being pretty effective.

You mean when Joseph Smith (dum-dum-dum-dum-dum) was plagiarizing the bible, he copied some verses that would indicate polygamy was not so cool.. probably before he realized he could get his dumb ass followers to hand over their teenage daughters.

1295180.png

Who is whining about you?

When you guys stop trying to impose your fairy tales on the rest of us, I'll be happy to stop slapping.

Instead, you are all happy to be the useful idiots of the one percent, which is why you keep voting for people who dismantle the middle class because they are right with Jesus and are against the gays and the abortions. (neither of which Jesus ever actually talked about, but never mind.)

How and when, exactly, have you been imposed upon? Start with naming the month/year of the most recent imposition and let's go from there.

why is a license necessary ... would you just be living together otherwise and being pornographic. would that be related to the crime of the 13 year old for mormons / christians.

Forum List

Back