More Of Your Tax Dollars Wasted

red states rule

May 30, 2006
What a shocker - the $1 billion the government spends of nutrition education is wasted

Review Finds Nutrition Education Failing

Jul 4 01:24 PM US/Eastern
By MARTHA MENDOZA
AP National Writer

PANORAMA CITY, Calif. (AP) - The federal government will spend more than $1 billion this year on nutrition education—fresh carrot and celery snacks, videos of dancing fruit, hundreds of hours of lively lessons about how great you will feel if you eat well.
But an Associated Press review of scientific studies examining 57 such programs found mostly failure. Just four showed any real success in changing the way kids eat—or any promise as weapons against the growing epidemic of childhood obesity.

"Any person looking at the published literature about these programs would have to conclude that they are generally not working," said Dr. Tom Baranowski, a pediatrics professor at Houston's Baylor College of Medicine who studies behavioral nutrition.

The results have been disappointing, to say the least:

_Last year a major federal pilot program offering free fruits and vegetables to school children showed fifth graders became less willing to eat them than they had been at the start. Apparently they didn't like the taste.

_In Pennsylvania, researchers went so far as to give prizes to school children who ate fruits and vegetables. That worked while the prizes were offered, but when the researchers came back seven months later the kids had reverted to their original eating habits: soda and chips.

_In studies where children tell researchers they are eating better or exercising more, there is usually no change in blood pressure, body size or cholesterol measures; they want to eat better, they might even think they are, but they're not.

for the complete article

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8Q5TG480&show_article=1&cat=0

im shocked.

What a shocker - the $1 billion the government spends of nutrition education is wasted

Review Finds Nutrition Education Failing

Jul 4 01:24 PM US/Eastern
By MARTHA MENDOZA
AP National Writer

PANORAMA CITY, Calif. (AP) - The federal government will spend more than $1 billion this year on nutrition education—fresh carrot and celery snacks, videos of dancing fruit, hundreds of hours of lively lessons about how great you will feel if you eat well.
But an Associated Press review of scientific studies examining 57 such programs found mostly failure. Just four showed any real success in changing the way kids eat—or any promise as weapons against the growing epidemic of childhood obesity.

"Any person looking at the published literature about these programs would have to conclude that they are generally not working," said Dr. Tom Baranowski, a pediatrics professor at Houston's Baylor College of Medicine who studies behavioral nutrition.

The results have been disappointing, to say the least:

_Last year a major federal pilot program offering free fruits and vegetables to school children showed fifth graders became less willing to eat them than they had been at the start. Apparently they didn't like the taste.

_In Pennsylvania, researchers went so far as to give prizes to school children who ate fruits and vegetables. That worked while the prizes were offered, but when the researchers came back seven months later the kids had reverted to their original eating habits: soda and chips.

_In studies where children tell researchers they are eating better or exercising more, there is usually no change in blood pressure, body size or cholesterol measures; they want to eat better, they might even think they are, but they're not.

for the complete article

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8Q5TG480&show_article=1&cat=0

Why would you be shocked a government program is a total failure?

This is what physical education class should be addressing. You should be taught how your body works and how to exercise properly. But regulating what kids eat at school (only serving healthier foods and banning those that are not nutritional) is a bad idea. It only makes kids want that stuff more. But the key here is PE class-- In gym class in HS we just walked around the track once a week and jerked around until they blew the whistle. I learned nothing and it was a waste of 43 minutes.

We spend $8,500 to $12,000 a year per child in Oregon to educate them. The local school district spends 1/3 of their budget on admin costs. That's is excessive IMO. I would never donate to a charity with that type of over head cost. No that doesn't include teachers pay. They keep making the classes larger and providing less services. I finally had enough and pulled my kids end of last year. It's not easy but so worth it.

We spend $8,500 to $12,000 a year per child in Oregon to educate them. The local school district spends 1/3 of their budget on admin costs. That's is excessive IMO. I would never donate to a charity with that type of over head cost. No that doesn't include teachers pay. They keep making the classes larger and providing less services. I finally had enough and pulled my kids end of last year. It's not easy but so worth it.

In the public school system, the top priority is whatever the teachers union says it is

Forum List

Back