Misunderstood weather report

Sunni Man

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2008
Patriotic American Muslim
1664384744661.png

Wrong! We didn't have cuffs on our bell bottoms and the heels are way too short.

70's fashion for a kid growing up in Montana (which was me and all my friends) was blue jeans, Converse sneakers in the summer/boots in the winter, a t-shirt, and a flannel or cowboy shirt.

Didn't start wearing bell bottoms until I was issued them in the Navy at 18 in 1982.

70's fashion for a kid growing up in Montana (which was me and all my friends) was blue jeans, Converse sneakers in the summer/boots in the winter, a t-shirt, and a flannel or cowboy shirt.

Didn't start wearing bell bottoms until I was issued them in the Navy at 18 in 1982.

I was in the Army, retired in '77 and never wore any of that faggoty hippee shit.

Wrong! We didn't have cuffs on our bell bottoms and the heels are way too short.

Spoken like a man who owned a pair of "Stacks" and wore lots of bell bottoms.

I had one really dressed pair of bell bottoms with a cuff, But most bell bottoms didn't have them.

And the hem was always worn & frayed in the back, where you walked on them.

I wore lots of hippe clothes. Bell bottoms, stacks, tie-dyed shirts, floppy hats. Chicks loved it. Besides, I was in my teens.

I think the hippie clothes were sure better than the Leisure Suit. But I wore one of those too. It was canary yellow polyester. And I wore a dark, print silky shirt with it. Had to get the sleeves way too long so I could fold them up over the jacket cuffs. You know, to match the shirt collar being over the jacket collar.

Strange days of fashion back then.

never wore any of that faggoty hippee shit.

Hoss, you've touched upon a profound truth. That faggoty stuff began in the 60s with the Counter Culture, Haight-Ashbury and LSD, and that culture grew up and is running the world today and the entire leftist movement now is based on the feminization of society, right down to subjecting children to gender dimorphism and men wearing dresses and getting boob-jobs.

I was in the Army, retired in '77 and never wore any of that faggoty hippee shit.

Hoss, you've touched upon a profound truth. That faggoty stuff began in the 60s with the Counter Culture, Haight-Ashbury and LSD, and that culture grew up and is running the world today and the entire leftist movement now is based on the feminization of society, right down to subjecting children to gender dimorphism and men wearing dresses and getting boob-jobs.

Sorry guys, but bell bottoms started with the Navy, and it was a hell of a lot earlier than 1960 something. Hippies actually stole the look from the Navy, not the other way around.

Here's a bit of history for y'all to chew on.....................

Although no one has been officially accredited with inventing the bell bottom trouser, the flared out look was introduced for sailors to wear in 1817. The new design was made to allow the young men who washed down the ship’s deck to roll their pant legs up above their knees to protect the material.

This modification also improved the time it took to take them off when the sailors needed to abandon ship in a moments notice. The trousers also doubled as a life preserver by knotting the pant legs.

Lots of parts of the Navy uniform are there for practical purposes. The reason there is a flap on the back of the uniform blouse (dress uniform) is it's a holdover from the days when sailors had long hair and greased it down or put tar in it to keep it from flying around when handling lines. The flap was there to keep their shirts from getting ruined. The kerchief that we all wear? That can be used for a great many things, from splints for injured arms to battle dressings, to tourniquets.

Sorry, toob, but it didn't start with the counter culture as you stated, it was a practical solution for a problem that sailors wanted to solve.

Sorry guys, but bell bottoms started with the Navy, and it was a hell of a lot earlier than 1960 something. Hippies actually stole the look from the Navy, not the other way around.

Here's a bit of history for y'all to chew on.....................

Although no one has been officially accredited with inventing the bell bottom trouser, the flared out look was introduced for sailors to wear in 1817. The new design was made to allow the young men who washed down the ship’s deck to roll their pant legs up above their knees to protect the material.

This modification also improved the time it took to take them off when the sailors needed to abandon ship in a moments notice. The trousers also doubled as a life preserver by knotting the pant legs.

Lots of parts of the Navy uniform are there for practical purposes. The reason there is a flap on the back of the uniform blouse (dress uniform) is it's a holdover from the days when sailors had long hair and greased it down or put tar in it to keep it from flying around when handling lines. The flap was there to keep their shirts from getting ruined. The kerchief that we all wear? That can be used for a great many things, from splints for injured arms to battle dressings, to tourniquets.

Sorry, toob, but it didn't start with the counter culture as you stated, it was a practical solution for a problem that sailors wanted to solve.

I never once mentioned or was even talking about Bell Bottoms.

I never once mentioned or was even talking about Bell Bottoms.

I talked about bell bottoms as being part of the Navy uniform, Hoss responded with he didn't wear any of that faggoty hippie shit, and you responded to that post by talking about counter culture starting in the 60's and then went on a rant about various things (bitching about leftists as well). Since you were responding to Hoss' remark about bell bottoms and hippie shit, I figured you were also referencing bell bottoms and using that to expand to your rant against counter culture.

I was drafted into the Army in 1970.
When the bus load of us conscripts arrived at the basic training camp.
The screaming Drill Sergeants ordered us off the bus and into formation.
I had long hair, blue jean bell bottom pants, and was wearing a dark colored merchant marine style pea coat.
One of the Drill Sergeants noticed how I was dressed and screamed into my face, "Maggot, this is the Army not the Navy".

I knew I was going to join some branch of the military because my Grandparents had told me that they were breaking my plate when I turned 18. I didn't want to join the Air Force, as I grew up in an AF town, and was biased against them. Most people who grow up in a military town are biased against the service that is there. I didn't want to join the Marines, as I didn't want to become a bullet sponge. I'm from Montana, and camping as a hobby is something I enjoy a lot, but as a lifestyle, it leaves much to be desired. Didn't want to live in a tent all the time, so the Army was out. The Navy recruiter told me that my house would go with me everywhere I went (the ship), and that I would have hot meals all the time, except for battle drills, would have A/C in the summer, and heat in the winter. He also told me that I would get to see places that most only dream about. So, I joined the Navy.

Besides, Sailors are magical creatures, as we know how to walk on water. Not only that, but a U.S. Navy uniform is the most recognized uniform in the world. The Marines come in a close second.

Forum List

Back