Mississippi Governor Declares April as Confederate Heritage Month

Personally, I would have chosen a month with 31 days in it, but I'm not the Governor.

"Mississippi Republican Gov. Tate Reeves has declared April as Confederate Heritage Month.

The first-year governor is following the practice of several of his Democratic and Republican predecessors, and his action is drawing criticism from the state’s only African American congressman.

“Unnecessary,” Democratic U.S. Rep. Bennie Thompson wrote Monday on Twitter.

The Mississippi chapter of Sons of Confederate Veterans recently posted Reeves’s proclamation on its Facebook page.

“God bless the Confederate Soldier. Many of whom are buried in unmarked and unknown mass graves throughout the South,” the group said in the post. “May he, or his sacrifices, never be forgotten...”

Mississippi governor declares Confederate Heritage Month

How pathetic is that. Still celebrating the defense of slavery and the idiocy of the Civil War all these years after it has been declared a crime against humanity. One must never under-estimate the complete pigheadedness of white men.
It was about states’ rights, one of which was slavery. The northern states did not care about slaves and had no intention of welcoming them there. The plan was to ship them back to Africa. That’s why when they ultimately migrated north the racist northern states relegated them to urban ghettos.
People who try to judge history with standards of modern eras display their own bigotry.
You have a dishonest agenda.

I'm not judging history. I'm judging the celebration of the Confederacy with a Confederacy Heritage Month, in 2020. Given the horrors and excesses of slavery, this would be akin to the Germany people declaring a Nazi Heritage month, and just as welcome.

You also have 30% of the state being black, and consider Confederate symbols racist and threatening. So it's really fucking rude to a third of the residents. But then it's intended to be. To remind them who's boss.

Confederate symbols are not "racist and threatening." I live in Wisconsin and we have several Civil War reenactments up here in the Summer. Way the hell up here in the Yankee state of Wisconsin.

What in the bejeebus is wrong with you guys and girls?

I will add this: There are also two former Confederate soldier's names on our Veteran's wall in the town square. They moved here after the war. As well as three CSA gravestones in the cemetery, of former Confederate soldiers who moved up here.

This whitewashing the past idiocy needs to stop already.

Last edited:
Thank you Mississippi for not erasing American history like many other states have done. ... :thup:

Hate to break it to you, but the confederacy seceded from the US and formed its own country. So it is not US history that will be celebrated.

The stated policy of the United States is that the act of secession was illegal, thus the southern states did not actually leave the Union, which is also why it was ok for the North to wage a war to "preserve the Union".

If you believe the south seceded, as your statement implies, then the Civil War, really was "The War of Northern Aggression".

Don't you hate it, when people point out the actual meanings of words?

Speaking of the meaning of words: Where, PRECISELY, in the Constitution of the United States of America is the language which denies a state the right to secede from the union? Don't provide us with any senseless bloviations about how this or that court has ruled . . . but, instead, direct us to the specific language in the Constitution which prohibits secession.

A very fair point. I've looked and not been able to find it.

Personally, I would have chosen a month with 31 days in it, but I'm not the Governor.

"Mississippi Republican Gov. Tate Reeves has declared April as Confederate Heritage Month.

The first-year governor is following the practice of several of his Democratic and Republican predecessors, and his action is drawing criticism from the state’s only African American congressman.

The Mississippi chapter of Sons of Confederate Veterans recently posted Reeves’s proclamation on its Facebook page.

“God bless the Confederate Soldier. Many of whom are buried in unmarked and unknown mass graves throughout the South,” the group said in the post. “May he, or his sacrifices, never be forgotten...”

How pathetic is that. Still celebrating the defense of slavery and the idiocy of the Civil War all these years after it has been declared a crime against humanity. One must never under-estimate the complete pigheadedness of white men.
It was about states’ rights, one of which was slavery. The northern states did not care about slaves and had no intention of welcoming them there. The plan was to ship them back to Africa. That’s why when they ultimately migrated north the racist northern states relegated them to urban ghettos.
People who try to judge history with standards of modern eras display their own bigotry.
There was never a plan to send slaves to Africa. It was proposed and found to be unworkable.

States rights always about the right to own slaves

Count your blessings. If white women had ever been in charge, I'm sure one of them would have had a fit of PMS and initiated a nuclear launch by now.

If women were in charge, you would not be spending 4% of your GDP on the military, you would be spending it on health care, education and infrastructure. There would be universal, government funded health care, subsidized day care, and a strong social safety net.

Female lead corporations are more cooperative, diverse, and uplifting in developing new talent. Women leaders bring out the best in the subordinates. When women are placed in 1/3 of the leadership positions within a corporation, the corporate culture changes to become more cooperative and more productive.

Er .... in terms of US leadership, find me a Golda Meier, or even a Jean Kirkpatrick, and I'll consider it.

You have dozens of very capable women. There were three of them running for the Democrats this time. Hillary would have made a much better President than the current abject failure racking a body count, the likes the nation should never see again. What a tool.

Canada had it's first case the same day you did. We passes 20,000 cases today, and 500 deaths. Even allowing for differences in population, the rate of infection is so very much slower. Our hospitals were prepared with tests and PPE's. The shipment of masks Trump tried (and failed ) to stop from coming to Canada, was the restocking in advance of peak infections. Eddie Bauer is delivering face shields. Our hospitals have had tests since day 1.

Our infection rate took off after the snowbirds came home from the USA, and brought it with them. We'll keep our border closed now until you people get your act together.

Good. Then we should prevent all Canadians from coming to the USA to obtain the timely medical treatments they cannot receive in Tundraville.

You don't have to. The border is closed. Canadians are being prevented from leaving the country.

People weren't going to the US anyway. That's a urban myth perpetrated by the US for profit medial lobby. Besides which, nobody is their right mind is going to American hospitals at the moment. Not even Americans.

So, those hundreds of thousands of Tundraville dwellers who say that they come to the USA for their healthcare are liars? Hmm. What is it about them that makes them lie?

You would be hard pressed to find any Canadians willing to give up their healthcare system for ours.
Those who come, do so for elective procedures.

Canada is lucky. But let them have an extinction-level pandemic and see how fast their healthcare system falls apart. If you have any doubt about that, look at Italy.

Rut roh
The establishment leftards are gonna lose it over that one

hqdefault.jpg

Had he been smart he would have done it in Feburary to get those like IM2 really going...

Personally I do not see the need for this but if the people of Mississippi do not object who am I to tell them what they should celebrate or honor!

I'm not judging history. I'm judging the celebration of the Confederacy with a Confederacy Heritage Month, in 2020. Given the horrors and excesses of slavery, this would be akin to the Germany people declaring a Nazi Heritage month, and just as welcome.

You also have 30% of the state being black, and consider Confederate symbols racist and threatening. So it's really fucking rude to a third of the residents. But then it's intended to be. To remind them who's boss.
The Nazis did not come into existence to enact autonomy from overbearing other Nazis. If the southern states seceded for the purpose of enacting slavery you might have a weak comparison.
As for those who look at confederate symbols as symbols of hate, they are making that distinction themselves. They could just as easily misconstrue any historical American symbol the same way. That would only reflect their own bigotry.

BTW when I lived in South Carolina lived in the first county in the first state to suceed from the union, Chesterfield County, South Carolina.
I just love it when democommies come on here and say that Democrats never had anything to do with segregation and the mistreatment of blacks. I lived amongst them so I damn well know better. I also know for a fact who and what belonged to the KKK and there were no Republicans among them.

Celebrating a war they started to prove they were better than the slaves and lost.

I don’t get it.

The symbols of that war were rebranded as symbols of harmless regional pride, long, long ago.

It is hard to believe you really don't know that.

The confederacy was not the United States so it did not have US political parties. And so we now have a republican deciding to honor racism with racist history month.
I am sorry IM 2. Thereare other versions of the War between the States.
That's Tha wawa of nartharn ahggreshion ta ya'll Yaankees.

My ancestor was a highly decorated sharpshooter, what we call a sniper these days. He was called the bravest and most efficient soldier in the confederacy by Robert E Lee and was known as the bravest man in the stonewall brigade. He's easy to find on the web. Pvt. Mike Foster. He took part in most major engagements from first Manassas to Appomattox. Was severely wounded and taken captive while recovering in the hospital. The confederacy offered 50 captured yankee soldiers for his return in a prisoner exchange.
BTW the hillbilly family was far too poor to own slaves. He was fighting for Virginia, state sovereignty and freedom from an oppressive federal government.

He was fighting for the right of whites to own slaves. That's the reason why the south felt oppressed. I hate to tell you, but slaves were also rented out.

The Nazis did not come into existence to enact autonomy from overbearing other Nazis. If the southern states seceded for the purpose of enacting slavery you might have a weak comparison.
As for those who look at confederate symbols as symbols of hate, they are making that distinction themselves. They could just as easily misconstrue any historical American symbol the same way. That would only reflect their own bigotry.

Wrong, the confederate constitution makes it plain. Why whites like you try insulting everybodys intelligent with these lies about the confederacy really astounds me.

BTW when I lived in South Carolina lived in the first county in the first state to suceed from the union, Chesterfield County, South Carolina.
I just love it when democommies come on here and say that Democrats never had anything to do with segregation and the mistreatment of blacks. I lived amongst them so I damn well know better. I also know for a fact who and what belonged to the KKK and there were no Republicans among them.
I have to laugh at republicans who lie about their own party who was complicit in the slavery and racism.

Breaking News...

The South lost the Civil War.

No one is saying otherwise....

Are you ok?

LOL..it appeared to me that there are more than a few people like yourself who needed a history lesson.

From the proclamation:

..”as we honor all who lost their lives in this war, it is important for all Americans to reflect upon our nation’s past, to gain insight from our mistakes and successes, and to come to a full understanding that the lessons learned yesterday and today will carry us through tomorrow if we carefully and earnestly strive to understand our heritage and our opportunities which lie before us.”

What successes were there from the civil war? What is there to appreciate from a rebellion that took 600,000 American lives?

YOu were supposedly proving that some people are saying the South did not lose the war?

Seriously, wtf is wrong with you?
Apparently you are too dense to understand sarcasm.

Honoring the sacrifices of your ancestors, is not a denial that they lost.

So, your point, was just stupid. It was not funny, nor sarcastic.

Unless, you think that only proper behavior for the South is walling in the type of white guilt that you modern libs like.

Mmm, that is it isn't it. That is what pisses you off. That they are not walling in white guilt?

Dude.

View attachment 321117
In a society that was built on racism and was 40 percent in slavery you only seem to want to celebrate the 60 percent.

Hell, dude: We only got 10% of the total amount of slaves brought to the Americas. South American countries got the other 90%, but I don't hear you people giving them any shit about it.
We are not South America or the Caribbean

We are responsible for our own choices. Slavery was not our finest hour

Ahhh, I see. So you don't mind if any other country uses slave labor, just not here.

Don't use that lousy excuse. Those like you bitch about globalism, you support trump because he tells you he's America first, but when it comes to race, suddenly you're a globalist, concerned with things that happen in other countries so as yo can excuse your mother fucking racism.

Celebrating a war they started to prove they were better than the slaves and lost.

I don’t get it.

The symbols of that war were rebranded as symbols of harmless regional pride, long, long ago.

It is hard to believe you really don't know that.

What’s there to be proud of?

Heritage, history, culture, family, ect. normal stuff.

You do know that the South tends to be MORE patriotic than the rest of the country, right? THe issues that drove secession have been long settled. No one is pushing for slavery or secession any more.

Breaking News...

The South lost the Civil War.

No one is saying otherwise....

Are you ok?

LOL..it appeared to me that there are more than a few people like yourself who needed a history lesson.

From the proclamation:

..”as we honor all who lost their lives in this war, it is important for all Americans to reflect upon our nation’s past, to gain insight from our mistakes and successes, and to come to a full understanding that the lessons learned yesterday and today will carry us through tomorrow if we carefully and earnestly strive to understand our heritage and our opportunities which lie before us.”

What successes were there from the civil war? What is there to appreciate from a rebellion that took 600,000 American lives?

YOu were supposedly proving that some people are saying the South did not lose the war?

Seriously, wtf is wrong with you?
Apparently you are too dense to understand sarcasm.

Honoring the sacrifices of your ancestors, is not a denial that they lost.

So, your point, was just stupid. It was not funny, nor sarcastic.

Unless, you think that only proper behavior for the South is walling in the type of white guilt that you modern libs like.

Mmm, that is it isn't it. That is what pisses you off. That they are not walling in white guilt?

Dude.

View attachment 321117
In a society that was built on racism and was 40 percent in slavery you only seem to want to celebrate the 60 percent.

Hell, dude: We only got 10% of the total amount of slaves brought to the Americas. South American countries got the other 90%, but I don't hear you people giving them any shit about it.
We are not South America or the Caribbean

We are responsible for our own choices. Slavery was not our finest hour

Ahhh, I see. So you don't mind if any other country uses slave labor, just not here.

Don't use that lousy excuse. Those like you bitch about globalism, you support trump because he tells you he's America first, but when it comes to race, suddenly you're a globalist, concerned with things that happen in other countries so as yo can excuse your mother fucking racism.

IM2, I asked you to use the term, "Evul Wacism". Why are you not doing that?

It would be perfect in this post of yours. Really give you the perfect "retarded child" vibe you are so obviously going for.

Wrong, the confederate constitution makes it plain. Why whites like you try insulting everybodys intelligent with these lies about the confederacy really astounds me.
Makes what plain? That slavery remains legal? And...? That doesn’t change anything about the views of Americans on blacks of that time. You rely on censorship and bastardized history. Says more about you.

Heritage, history, culture, family, ect. normal stuff.

You do know that the South tends to be MORE patriotic than the rest of the country, right? THe issues that drove secession have been long settled. No one is pushing for slavery or secession any more.

Bullshit

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2

Forum List

Back