Minimum wage and video games

Why do you guys give a fuck if someone has a Xbox or PlayStation?

tapatalk post

A topic of the day is that the minimum wage should be raised because the "working poor" are so bad off that they can't get by without the gov't supplementing their wages.

If they're able to buy extras like PlayStations then that pulls the pins out from under the argument that they aren't making a living wage. How is government intervention needed in a case like that?
OK then I got one for you, how about if you work a full time job as a truck driver ( I have friends who do this), and you get paid by the load, but then you run into a lull in the construction industry for around 3 months out of the year or maybe more yet all depending, and then during this three months the company only pays you for what you work and no more. Now it can get down right tough on a driver during these times, and during the good times when the loads are coming in, the drivers are still only paid a certain amount per week because they are paid per load as a percentage of the load as it is hauled by them, but it is based on a rate that the company sets for each load hauled. I have known these drivers to haul a load for less than $7.00, and it took around an hour to get that load loaded and then dropped off, so that is $7.00 dollars an hour right ? Usually it takes time in between the next load to get re-loaded, so if not careful, that $7.00 dollars can even drop down lower than that all depending on what happens during this time period. A driver could have a bad day in a heartbeat, yet all depending on how things go in which is beyond his control sometimes.

Now here is the kicker, so get ready for this - The Owners and their Management Staff, well they the owners make triple what the drivers make in this company, and staff is on salary. Ok, so here is how it was before for these drivers, where as the former owner whom has since died around 5 years ago now, well he use to have a fund that he would add money to for the drivers incase the company went into a lull for to long, and he knew that if he didn't try and help in these ways, then he would lose valuable drivers before things got better again (it was worth it to him). Then he died and others took over, but they knew not how these things worked nor did they give a rats behind about how they worked. So all benefits were cut, and no fund was added to any longer, and the drivers are on there own in the new deal that has now affected or impacted them even more so these days than in times past. This is according to my friends who are out there in the situation now.

Even worse the drivers are experiencing newly added federal regulations that are also piling up on them, and is costing them even more where there is no help coming in on that front either, but meanwhile the ownership is out purchasing vast amounts of land that is 4 states over for their happy hunting grounds, and they are driving $60.000 dollar new diesel 4 wheel drive pick up trucks, and they've got new bass boats, local property owned for rentals, and they are buying more property everyday, yet meanwhile my friends are wondering if they can survive the winter without any kind of assistance what-so-ever now.

My friend drew a paycheck last week of less than $200.00 dollars after his high family coverage health care insurance plan was taken out of it, and his taxes were taken out of it also. Now you all are worrying about an X-box system that someone has, when the bigger picture is sporting situations like this ? Next think about this for a second, say if my friends were to go down and get some assistance they might truly need, then you all will have made it so hard for them, that they probably would just give up in life. Why is it OK for the rich man to have mansions, 5,000 acres of hunting grounds, new bass boats that cost $40,000 dollars, and $60,000 dollar pick up trucks to drive, rental property and/or investments etc. yet the workers are on the brink of having to go get food stamps and welfare assistance ? Doesn't this cause the government to then have to subsidize this companies employee's pay, because the owners and their management doesn't run this company in a family oriented managed way ? If you wanted your family to be safe and taken care of so they would be around, then you manage your families budget or business in a way that would help you to do way on better than this is being done right ?

Hmmm, now is it that these companies know that the government will kick in and help them if they don't do their part these days, so the rich ownerships and their management staffs are just sitting back using the entitlement system to subsidize them when they don't really need it ? I mean maybe if they (the rich owners), would manage their companies in a better way than this, then the government would never hear from their employee's or them, and that is the way that it should be, but it isn't in many cases I think these days.

As long as the government subsidizes the rich in these ways or it is doing it just like it has been doing it in the past, then there is no responsible actions on the rich to do better either about these kinds of things, so do you blame the rich in all of this also, I mean instead of just casting it all off as a poor person just abusing the system ? What about the rich doing what the rich in this country has done to them in many situations ? Is that not a problem also ? Help me out here, and tell me why the weakest people or link is always the scapegoat or the target in these rants, but the rich who are wrong in all of these things also, are said nothing about when comparing apples to oranges in these ways ?

Last edited:
Then what about McDonalds, where as my friend saw a local news report that was telling about how if you are hired at McDonald's, then it will be shown to you as an employee upon how you could qualify for food stamps or government assistance as a subsidy afterwards ?

Like I have said before, the government is dealing with hundreds of thousands of people, who were thrown from the private sector roles onto the doorstep of the government, and then when the government tries to deal with these numbers (trying to keep people from starving), then the private sector screams bloody murder if they are expected by the government to help in any way with those numbers or to help in the lessoning of those numbers somehow. Hey the government was scratching their backs for all them years, and helping them to become mega corporations and/or huge wealthy businessmen in America, so maybe it's time to give back a bit, especially if it is partly the rich mans fault that we have the situations that we have today. I think both the government and the rich should work hand in hand (together) in order to solve these problems, because that is what it will take finally to do it. To split or to separate as is the case in all of this these days, is a major problem for all, and it is showing in every one of these rants or post on USMB regarding this subject(s).

Why do you guys give a fuck if someone has a Xbox or PlayStation?

tapatalk post

A topic of the day is that the minimum wage should be raised because the "working poor" are so bad off that they can't get by without the gov't supplementing their wages.

If they're able to buy extras like PlayStations then that pulls the pins out from under the argument that they aren't making a living wage. How is government intervention needed in a case like that?
OK then I got one for you, how about if you work a full time job as a truck driver ( I have friends who do this), and you get paid by the load, but then you run into a lull in the construction industry for around 3 months out of the year or maybe more yet all depending, and then during this three months the company only pays you for what you work and no more. Now it can get down right tough on a driver during these times, and during the good times when the loads are coming in, the drivers are still only paid a certain amount per week because they are paid per load as a percentage of the load as it is hauled by them, but it is based on a rate that the company sets for each load hauled. I have known these drivers to haul a load for less than $7.00, and it took around an hour to get that load loaded and then dropped off, so that is $7.00 dollars an hour right ? Usually it takes time in between the next load to get re-loaded, so if not careful, that $7.00 dollars can even drop down lower than that all depending on what happens during this time period. A driver could have a bad day in a heartbeat, yet all depending on how things go in which is beyond his control sometimes.

Now here is the kicker, so get ready for this - The Owners and their Management Staff, well they the owners make triple what the drivers make in this company, and staff is on salary. Ok, so here is how it was before for these drivers, where as the former owner whom has since died around 5 years ago now, well he use to have a fund that he would add money to for the drivers incase the company went into a lull for to long, and he knew that if he didn't try and help in these ways, then he would lose valuable drivers before things got better again (it was worth it to him). Then he died and others took over, but they knew not how these things worked nor did they give a rats behind about how they worked. So all benefits were cut, and no fund was added to any longer, and the drivers are on there own in the new deal that has now affected or impacted them even more so these days than in times past. This is according to my friends who are out there in the situation now.

Even worse the drivers are experiencing newly added federal regulations that are also piling up on them, and is costing them even more where there is no help coming in on that front either, but meanwhile the ownership is out purchasing vast amounts of land that is 4 states over for their happy hunting grounds, and they are driving $60.000 dollar new diesel 4 wheel drive pick up trucks, and they've got new bass boats, local property owned for rentals, and they are buying more property everyday, yet meanwhile my friends are wondering if they can survive the winter without any kind of assistance what-so-ever now.

My friend drew a paycheck last week of less than $200.00 dollars after his high family coverage health care insurance plan was taken out of it, and his taxes were taken out of it also. Now you all are worrying about an X-box system that someone has, when the bigger picture is sporting situations like this ? Next think about this for a second, say if my friends were to go down and get some assistance they might truly need, then you all will have made it so hard for them, that they probably would just give up in life. Why is it OK for the rich man to have mansions, 5,000 acres of hunting grounds, new bass boats that cost $40,000 dollars, and $60,000 dollar pick up trucks to drive, rental property and/or investments etc. yet the workers are on the brink of having to go get food stamps and welfare assistance ? Doesn't this cause the government to then have to subsidize this companies employee's pay, because the owners and their management doesn't run this company in a family oriented managed way ? If you wanted your family to be safe and taken care of so they would be around, then you manage your families budget or business in a way that would help you to do way on better than this is being done right ?

Hmmm, now is it that these companies know that the government will kick in and help them if they don't do their part these days, so the rich ownerships and their management staffs are just sitting back using the entitlement system to subsidize them when they don't really need it ? I mean maybe if they (the rich owners), would manage their companies in a better way than this, then the government would never hear from their employee's or them, and that is the way that it should be, but it isn't in many cases I think these days.

As long as the government subsidizes the rich in these ways or it is doing it just like it has been doing it in the past, then there is no responsible actions on the rich to do better either about these kinds of things, so do you blame the rich in all of this also, I mean instead of just casting it all off as a poor person just abusing the system ? What about the rich doing what the rich in this country has done to them in many situations ? Is that not a problem also ? Help me out here, and tell me why the weakest people or link is always the scapegoat or the target in these rants, but the rich who are wrong in all of these things also, are said nothing about when comparing apples to oranges in these ways ?

Your friend needs to find another company to drive for it's that simple if this company won't pay him he needs to find somebody who will he has a marketable skill

tapatalk post

Your friend needs to find another company to drive for it's that simple if this company won't pay him he needs to find somebody who will he has a marketable skill

tapatalk post
This affects all the company employees who drive at this corporation, not just my friend, so should they all just go and get another job in an area that has high unemployment at this time (or) should the government stop the entitlements to corporations, who then are using these entitlements to subsidize their lack of management in which they do for good reason in their minds ? Maybe the government should stop all entitlements in America period, then these businesses will realize that either they do the right thing in the managing of their companies properly (or) they will go out of business against those who will do the right thing in the managing of their companies properly. Ever think of that one for a second or two ? Maybe the government should just go cold turkey on ending entitlements in America for that reason alone, and then to become a rules and regulations office only. Otherwise it should only enforce anti-abuse laws in order to stop abuses in America where they are found, and this they should do when it is found against those who are citizens being abused by CEO's and their staff in America or upon the citizens who abuse CEO's and their staff in America (two way street always). There should be investigations within business as is found abuse within them against another or not within business as it would be found in America one against another also.

Yes, I like this idea of government better (just the upholders and makers of the laws and nothing more). What do you say to that idea ? Of course they would still be managers and directors of the military, but that would be all that they do aside from up holding the laws of the land in which were made by the people and for the people of this land. Let the chips fall where they may, and bail no one out anymore, especially corporations.

tapatalk post
This affects all the company employees who drive at this corporation, not just my friend, so should they all just go and get another job in an area that has high unemployment at this time (or) should the government stop the entitlements to corporations, who then are using these entitlements to subsidize their lack of management in which they do for good reason in their minds ? Maybe the government should stop all entitlements in America period, then these businesses will realize that either they do the right thing in the managing of their companies properly (or) they will go out of business against those who will do the right thing in the managing of their companies properly. Ever think of that one for a second or two ? Maybe the government should just go cold turkey on ending entitlements in America for that reason alone, and then to become a rules and regulations office only. Otherwise it should only enforce anti-abuse laws in order to stop abuses in America where they are found, and this they should do when it is found against those who are citizens being abused by CEO's and their staff in America or upon the citizens who abuse CEO's and their staff in America (two way street always). There should be investigations within business as is found abuse within them against another or not within business as it would be found in America one against another also.

Yes, I like this idea of government better (just the upholders and makers of the laws and nothing more). What do you say to that idea ? Of course they would still be managers and directors of the military, but that would be all that they do aside from up holding the laws of the land in which were made by the people and for the people of this land. Let the chips fall where they may, and bail no one out anymore, especially corporations.

Your friend needs to worry about his damn self first. Do you think any of those people give a f*** what is his life has gone through? Sticking around does nothing but make the owners of this company rich they don't want to pay don't f****** drive for them

tapatalk post

tapatalk post

Your friend needs to worry about his damn self first. Do you think any of those people give a f*** what is his life has gone through? Sticking around does nothing but make the owners of this company rich they don't want to pay don't f****** drive for them

tapatalk post
Why stick to the point of it being just one person here or is this how you all do it in order to water it all down ? Lets say that my post was a hypothetical, in which is based on the over all situation that many have been facing in this situation in America for quite sometime now. Now would you still try and speak to it as if it were a small percentage of the problem these days, and so in your mind nothing should be considered or done in these cases to better America for all ?

Last edited:

tapatalk post
Why stick to the point of it being just one person here or is this how you all do it in order to water it all down ? Lets say that my post was a hypothetical, in which is based on the over all situation that many have been facing in this situation in America for quite sometime now. Now would you still try and speak to it as if it were a small percentage of the problem these days, and so in your mind nothing should be considered or done in these cases to better America for all ?

We are a country of the individual. I leave Collectiveist crap to those still and college and too stupid to see reality if people don't work at that company they're going to raise its wage or go under either way that helps everybody

tapatalk post

Last edited:
I think my voice to text on my phone is f****** insane. It doesn't seem too write out the words I say just some really random weird s***

tapatalk post

This kind of post irritates me. Because our poor doesn't live in mud huts eating rats they are not really poor? You tell a hungry kid they are not really poor because they have a apartment they are living in or their last meal wasn't road kill. Our poor by and large are better off then most the world true that doesn't mean they are not poor. All it means is our country is better then theirs

tapatalk post

You are irritated--sometimes the truth hurts. I can agree with you that a kid that does not have enough food to eat is poor. However, most of our so called poor have plenty of food to eat most of the time.

You assume much but you know what they say about that. I have been one of those poor. I have gone hungry when I was a child like millions of kids today go hungry. You sit there in your warm home and look down on those who don't have it as good as you as if you think yourself better. Let me tell you something you're not. You have no clue what it us like nor do I hope you ever do. But looking down on the poor like the elitist pig you are shows the true scrum is you.

tapatalk post

I'm looking down those who don't have it as good as myself? I don't know how you can get that from anything I wrote. I believe that you are also assuming much.

The driver is already suffering from burdensome federal regulations, so your answer is more federal involvement?

Good thing Obama has lowered the cost of his insurance and hasn't added anything to his tax burden.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think my voice to text on my phone is f****** insane. It doesn't seem too write out the words I say just some really random weird s***

tapatalk post
LOL, I noticed that, but figured I wouldn't say anything about it, because I could still understand what you are saying.

The driver is already suffering from burdensome federal regulations, so your answer is more federal involvement?

Good thing Obama has lowered the cost of his insurance and hasn't added anything to his tax burden.
They are getting hammered no matter which way they turn anymore, so neither is a good thing that is going on against them, and this whether it is due to the miss-management by their corps in regards to them or through new over burdensome regulations that are trying to solve many of the problems also.

Either way they are caught in between a federal government that is clueless and testing it all, and the corporations who are speeding just as hard as they can in order to get all that they can for themselves quickly, before what they think is the trap that will soon spring completely shut on them finally.

Not only play stations, but I know many a not so well off person who is going to buy their bag of pot too before they pay the rent or their electric bill.
Yes and there was a king in the bible (I think) that said if they are saddened or burdened, then let them drink and be merry, so why was he saying that to his kingdom ? When people are down and out on their luck on life, then who are we to judge them for reacting in the ways that they do in respect to the bad situations that they find themselves in within their lives ? I know that there are some things in which we all don't agree with, nor do we understand, but we also don't understand as to why people are pushed into doing what they do in order to survive mentally in such dire situations that they find themselves in somehow in their lives. I think we should always seek to reform and help to lift people up and out of their stoopers in life, and if they are doing things that are illegal then get them help for that quickly as well also. We shouldn't use their issues to try and justify no help at all for them, because sooner or later they will have to be dealt with, and lets just hope that they are not totally distraught by then, or where as they have been placed in a corner where they feel totally trapped and without hope when that day comes. I agree that they shouldn't be doing drugs, and that is why I think random drug testing should be required by the state before any help checks are paid out to these people who are in need of help.

Last edited:
Not only play stations, but I know many a not so well off person who is going to buy their bag of pot too before they pay the rent or their electric bill.

I hear that. I'm still bangin' on their door a week after the rent is due. When they finally open it I can smell their enjoyment. When they sneak away in the middle of the night I get stuck with their unpaid utility bills.

I hear that. I'm still bangin' on their door a week after the rent is due. When they finally open it I can smell their enjoyment. When they sneak away in the middle of the night I get stuck with their unpaid utility bills.

Hire property management. Its a tax write off and way less stress.

Silly me trying to save my tenants that extra cost.

Silly me trying to save my tenants that extra cost.

If you want to save your tenants the extra cost then eat it for the year and get it back in the form of a tax write off. Otherwise you are just complaining.

Forum List

Back