Minimum wage and video games

How many people working minimum wage jobs and supposedly needing government assistance have video game systems? Do you think it's a significant percentage?

Is it the job of government to make people comfortable in part-time jobs? How comfortable?

I'm happy if people in food service can afford video consoles. However, if they can afford new video game systems they don't need taxpayers to help them buy food, and stories about how bad off these workers are lose some punch.

In Wisconsin you can make so much on public assistance that it wouldn't be worth your while to take a job which paid less than $10 an hour.

I would guess a lot of them. Some, no doubt come from the do gooders at Christmas time, but they also likely buy them. Gotta teach those little gang bangers how to shoot before they go out on the street for real! Bu hey, Obama will be giving them free ones. After all, it's all about the 'cheeeeeeeeldrin.'

Why do you guys give a fuck if someone has a Xbox or PlayStation?

tapatalk post

Because we pay for them. And because they probably bartered their food stamps, which we pay for, for cash so they could buy frivolous things.

I was way above minimum wage and I worked 3 jobs when the kids were in college.

Last edited by a moderator:
My mother never bought anything on credit. Everything was saved for, including medical care. The only exception she ever made was when I was in high school she opened a charge account at a local clothing store. In our small town, dry goods came and went so fast you would miss getting what you really wanted. I would charge the clothes I wanted, then I would pay for them when I had enough babysitting money. I'm pretty sure she did that so I could learn the value of good credit.

Last edited by a moderator:
something is better then nothing at all......

so long as junk food and luxury items are allowed with food stamps...i have zero pity.

How to Spot a Sociopath | Psychology Today

Nonsense. I've seen people on foodstamps receive literally hundreds of dollars each month...more than i could ever eat. It's ridiculous.

You could look up on line what the allotment is. You will be appalled.

I don't make much over minimum wage and I just bought a ps4 . I don't get government money. Yet my point is valid because i saved for it

tapatalk post

if you dont get any government entitlements.... i hope you enjoy your game to its fullest. :)

Entitlement programs in the US include Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, Veterans' Administration programs, federal employee and military retirement plans, unemployment compensation, and food stamps.

Are you writing that the above folks shouldn't have video games?

That isn't true. Entitlement programs are welfare and food stamps.

Social programs in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

so long as junk food and luxury items are allowed with food stamps...i have zero pity.

I doubt they give enough to eat healthy on food stamps lol that shit is expensive

tapatalk post

the idea behind food stamps is to keep people from..... "starving" It is not to satisfy junk food jonesing and a sweet tooth.

Or to barter for crack.

I think poverty should be painful. Think of it as incentive to get out of poverty.

It is. Try cutting your food bill to the amount given in food stamps.

I'd plant a garden, or better yet, get a job.

Years ago when I was right out of high school, I worked for a home economist who was a county agent in KY. She encouraged people to put in gardens. According to her, and this was in 1969, a good garden was worth $600. According to an online inflation calculator that $600 is now $3818. Think of that $3800 from a few seeds and a little bit of work.

I think poverty should be painful. Think of it as incentive to get out of poverty.

It is. Try cutting your food bill to the amount given in food stamps.

I will.
The moment I start relying on others to provide for me.
In the meantime, I'm paying for my own food and theirs. Yet, I still can't claim them as a dependent when I file my taxes.

[MENTION=1862]Alan[/MENTION] 1. I paid enough taxes the last full year I worked to support a family of 6 under the national poverty guidelines. Just federal taxes. By the time you figure in state, county, auto, property, and other taxes, I kept 50% of my earnings.

While Entitlement programs in the US include Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, Veterans' Administration programs, federal employee and military retirement plans and unemployment compensation ARE entitlements, food stamps are welfare.
In all of the former, you either paid for or became eligible through employment.
Food stamps are not contingent upon prior work.

Neither is welfare. I had a lot of patients who got sick as adolescents and never got it together to work. That is how they live. All of them, every last one, would like to be able to think well enough to work and get off welfare. But for some people that's just not in the cards.

I'd plant a garden, or better yet, get a job.

Everyone on food stamps doesn't work? Walmart, who's collected billions in tax payer subsidy helps their employees sign up for food stamps.

all said walmart employees can go out and get second job if what they are making at one job is not enough.

maybe the government should provide a second job.....community service of some sort and pay them minimum wage instead of just handing anyone a check.

So can bank tellers who around here don't put in 25 horus/week.

Or Walmart, who's benefited from billions in taxpayer subsidy, who's cash take-home in 2012 was $15B (that's not including procurement, logistics, and transportation) can be a responsible employer like me.

i really dont care what profits walmart took in...

people work for them of their own free will. No one is holding a gun to their heads and forcing them to work. They know up front what they are asking for and what wage they will be getting Wage mind you...not profit sharing. If they don't want the job, they are free to leave at any time. If they dont think they are making enough, they are free to find another job, or a second job.

A lot of the Walmart employees at our local store are elderly people working to supplement their Social Security. They don't need more work, and they don't want full time employment. Walmart has been a godsend for the elderly who want to continue to earn after they retire.

Some of them are very elegant and distinguished looking I might add. They didn't work their lives at Wally World, but they had good jobs during their working years. And people who enjoy work will always look for work.

Well lets hire some private firm to knock on doors and examine if every household has a video game. Some people are so incensed about a poor person having a video game. I never collected a cent of welfare or unemployment in my 76 years on this earth. I saved enough to retire. The way I see it one needs to work hard(as a necessary evil so to speak) to attain the things to survive. But I could care less if some worker who is stuck working for a lousy, cheapskate company like walmart has a video game. If I get paid $10 an hour, I work half speed. I get paid double that, I work full speed. So a walmart worker has a video game. Or some person on welfare has a video game. Big deal. So what. They still have a low standard of living and far be it from me the criticize someone for having a lousy video game. If that makes you mad, you gotta forget about it because it really doesn't matter.

Actually, there are people who work for SS following people on disability around to see if they look disabled.

Poor has been redefined. In a third world country, poor means you have nothing or near nothing. In America being poor means earning below some arbitrary percentile of wages compared to other people. Since there will always be a bottom group of " earners", there will always be people considered poor no matter how well off they really are.

This kind of post irritates me. Because our poor doesn't live in mud huts eating rats they are not really poor? You tell a hungry kid they are not really poor because they have a apartment they are living in or their last meal wasn't road kill. Our poor by and large are better off then most the world true that doesn't mean they are not poor. All it means is our country is better then theirs

tapatalk post

You are irritated--sometimes the truth hurts. I can agree with you that a kid that does not have enough food to eat is poor. However, most of our so called poor have plenty of food to eat most of the time.

Not to mention that going hungry in this country is nearly impossible. One doesn't even need to read or understand English to apply for foodstamp benefits, so unless the parents are selling the foodstamps for drugs, their children should be well fed.

Poor has been redefined. In a third world country, poor means you have nothing or near nothing. In America being poor means earning below some arbitrary percentile of wages compared to other people. Since there will always be a bottom group of " earners", there will always be people considered poor no matter how well off they really are.

This kind of post irritates me. Because our poor doesn't live in mud huts eating rats they are not really poor? You tell a hungry kid they are not really poor because they have a apartment they are living in or their last meal wasn't road kill. Our poor by and large are better off then most the world true that doesn't mean they are not poor. All it means is our country is better then theirs

tapatalk post

You are irritated--sometimes the truth hurts. I can agree with you that a kid that does not have enough food to eat is poor. However, most of our so called poor have plenty of food to eat most of the time.

You assume much but you know what they say about that. I have been one of those poor. I have gone hungry when I was a child like millions of kids today go hungry. You sit there in your warm home and look down on those who don't have it as good as you as if you think yourself better. Let me tell you something you're not. You have no clue what it us like nor do I hope you ever do. But looking down on the poor like the elitist pig you are shows the true scrum is you.

tapatalk post

tapatalk post

Not to mention that going hungry in this country is nearly impossible. One doesn't even need to read or understand English to apply for foodstamp benefits, so unless the parents are selling the foodstamps for drugs, their children should be well fed.

You dont get out much do you? There are people going hungry as you read this post.

Forum List

Back