Minimalism

Blues Man

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2016
Why are people so consumed with their stuff?

Is it just that we have been conditioned by our consumption based society?

Is there some emotional need that is being filled by acquiring items?

I grew up with very little and no means to get much other than the basics but when I started to attain more disposable income, I fell into the consumerism trap for a while. I spent money on all kinds of things I didn't really need looking back i wonder if i ever really wanted them.

For the past 10 years or so I have been getting rid of stuff in my life. I don't buy what I don't need but that doesn't mean I don't have some luxuries because I do.

I have found getting rid of stuff has not only made my home environment more pleasing and relaxing but that I seem to be more productive as well.

What is it about acquiring stuff that drives so many people?

I grew up with very little and no means to get much other than the basics but when I started to attain more disposable income, I fell into the consumerism trap for a while. I spent money on all kinds of things I didn't really need looking back i wonder if i ever really wanted them.

For the past 10 years or so I have been getting rid of stuff in my life. I don't buy what I don't need but that doesn't mean I don't have some luxuries because I do.

I have found getting rid of stuff has not only made my home environment more pleasing and relaxing but that I seem to be more productive as well.

I sure have to admit that (according to what I have seen on YouTube), the sparsely furnished rooms of the Imperial Palace in Tokyo are more pleasing to the eye than the abundantly furnished rooms of the royal palaces in England.

Millennials are the worst, as far as not having stuff. Most of their homes look sterile to me: They have a bed, a table, some chairs, and a television.

My guess is that they have no sense of tradition, history, or value.

I sure have to admit that (according to what I have seen on YouTube), the sparsely furnished rooms of the Imperial Palace in Tokyo are more pleasing to the eye than the abundantly furnished rooms of the royal palaces in England.

Yeah those Royals in England are hoarders

Millennials are the worst, as far as not having stuff. Most of their homes look sterile to me: They have a bed, a table, some chairs, and a television.

But what is value?

Is buying stuff that ends up in a closet, a drawer , in the basement, garage or rented storage space really valuable to the person that bought it?

But what is value?

Is buying stuff that ends up in a closet, a drawer , in the basement, garage or rented storage space really valuable to the person that bought it?

Value is things which are no longer obtainable: Guns, guitars, vintage cars, antiques, collectibles, etc. Things that remind you of a time which is forever gone. Things that also accumulate value over time, as opposed to things made out of cheap Chinese plastic, that were meant to be thrown away.

As well as things for hobbies: Things to to make things with, things to repair things with, tools, parts, broken things that you might fix later, if they're of any value.

Last edited:

But what is value?

Value is things which are no longer obtainable: Guns, guitars, vintage cars, antiques, collectibles, etc. Things that remind you of a time which is forever gone. Things that also accumulate value over time, as opposed to things made out of cheap Chinese plastic, that were meant to be thrown away.

Value is subjective.

Personally I don't think vintage cars are of much value. I used to have a dozen or more guitars. I had guitars that hadn't been played for years in a closet. There was no value in those guitars because they weren't being used to make music and no one was enjoying them. I donated a bunch to the local elementary school and now there are many young people playing guitar that might not have had the chance to. To me that is far more valuable than letting them sit in a closet for 30 more years.

Not to mention the fact that your heirs are going to be stuck with unloading all your crap when the end comes.

Not to mention the fact that your heirs are going to be stuck with unloading all your crap when the end comes.

Yeah I've had friends who had to deal with that situation.

The family took a few things as mementos and the rest got donated , sold for next to nothing or trashed.

Seemed to me to be such a waste

But what is value?

Value is subjective.

Personally I don't think vintage cars are of much value. I used to have a dozen or more guitars. I had guitars that hadn't been played for years in a closet. There was no value in those guitars because they weren't being used to make music and no one was enjoying them. I donated a bunch to the local elementary school and now there are many young people playing guitar that might not have had the chance to. To me that is far more valuable than letting them sit in a closet for 30 more years.

My brother collects guitars and amplifiers, as well as building his own. He has 1960's and 70's Fender, Gibson, Martin guitars, Fender and Marshall amps, effect pedals, and stuff. He's sitting on a small fortune and could dump it on Ebay if he knew how. I've seen some of those old 1960's Japanese-made fuzz pedals go for $300-$400 dollars these days, Gibson Les Paul guitars bringing $50,000.

Here's a 1960 Fender Strat that brought $27,500...

Fender vintage Stratocaster | eBay

But what is value?

Value is subjective.

My brother collects guitars and amplifiers, as well as building his own. He has 1960's and 70's Fender, Gibson, Martin guitars, Fender and Marshall amps, effect pedals, and stuff. He's sitting on a small fortune and could dump it on Ebay if he knew how. I've seen some of those old 1960's Japanese-made fuzz pedals go for $300-$400 dollars these days, Gibson Les Paul guitars bringing $50,000.

Here's a 1960 Fender Strat that brought $27,500...

Fender vintage Stratocaster | eBay

So what's the plan? let them gather dust until he dies? What does he get for all that stuff then?

Forum List

Back