Military Historian Hammers Dick Cheney On Iraq

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
Former Vice President Dick Cheney's recent claims that President Obama is responsible for misleading people about the Iraq war has drawn disapproval from opponents including military historian Andrew Bacevich.

When Bacevich spoke with HuffPost Live's Josh Zeppson Thursday, he had harsh words for Cheney's Wall Street Journal op-ed:

I do have to say, that is genuine chutzpah to blame President Obama for misleading the American people given the quotes we have of Cheney, on the record, declaring that he knew, for sure, that Saddam had weapons of mass destruction, knew for sure that Saddam was in cahoots with Al Qaeda -- all of that turning out to be nonsense.​

Watch the full conversation with Andrew Bacevich and the Iraq crisis below:

MORE: Andrew Bacevich Thinks Cheney's WSJ Op-Ed On The Iraq War Is 'Genuine Chutzpah'

Cheney's attempts to whitewash the deceitful Bush/Cheney years won't fool historians.

Former Vice President Dick Cheney's recent claims that President Obama is responsible for misleading people about the Iraq war has drawn disapproval from opponents including military historian Andrew Bacevich.

When Bacevich spoke with HuffPost Live's Josh Zeppson Thursday, he had harsh words for Cheney's Wall Street Journal op-ed:

I do have to say, that is genuine chutzpah to blame President Obama for misleading the American people given the quotes we have of Cheney, on the record, declaring that he knew, for sure, that Saddam had weapons of mass destruction, knew for sure that Saddam was in cahoots with Al Qaeda -- all of that turning out to be nonsense.​

MORE: Andrew Bacevich Thinks Cheney's WSJ Op-Ed On The Iraq War Is 'Genuine Chutzpah'

Cheney's attempts to whitewash the deceitful Bush/Cheney years won't fool historians.

Cheney said that shit just to piss people off, Darth knows what he did better than anyone.

Cheney said that shit just to piss people off, Darth knows what he did better than anyone.

This.

The Obama era has served to emphasize the differences between Bush and Cheney. Read the following, from March of 2009:
Former President George W. Bush said on Tuesday that he won't criticize Obama because the new U.S. president "deserves my silence," and said he plans to write a book about the 12 toughest decisions he made in office.

Bush declined to critique the Obama administration in his first speech since leaving office in January. Former Vice President Dick Cheney has said that Obama's decisions threatened America's safety.

"I'm not going to spend my time criticizing him. There are plenty of critics in the arena," Bush said. "He deserves my silence."

Bush said he wants Obama to succeed and said it's important that he has that support. Talk-show host Rush Limbaugh has said he hoped Obama would fail.

"I love my country a lot more than I love politics," Bush said. "I think it is essential that he be helped in office."
Bush: Obama 'Deserves My Silence,' Won't Criticize New Administration | Fox News

So Obama assumes office, and Bush immediately tells the press he's not going to play their gossip game. Cheney, on the other hand, throws open the floodgates and we start to hear more out of him than we ever did while he was Vice President.

I think that Cheney is merely filling the void left by a silent Bush. The press wants a high-ranking Bush administration official to play the ever-present "heel" character criticizing Obama's every move, and Bush himself would rather paint, write books, and eat barbecue than have anything to do with the never-ending shitstorm of the political world. Someone's still pulling Cheney's strings, but Bush has somehow broken free, or at least been allowed to live out a relatively quiet retirement.

People debate whether Bush lied, was misled by his advisers, just wasn't very bright, was a bad "decider", etc. Cheney on the other hand is just clearly a lying, evil monster. A malicious and greedy miserable human being who has absolutely no moral character or redeeming value to society.

And the far left propaganda train rolls on...

They need to take the attention of the failed presidency of Obama. Even though it was Obama that caused all this to happen in the ME by his leading from behind approach.

They need to take the attention of the failed presidency of Obama. Even though it was Obama that caused all this to happen in the ME by his leading from behind approach.

Yep...in defense of the "ARAB SPRING" that he doesn't want to die...I want to know WHY Obama petitioned Congress for $500M to support the "Freedom Fighters" against Assad...when they are the very same Jhihadists that are wreaking havoc in IRAQ...that we have now armed drones monitoring?

WE are being played for suckers here. The BOY KING doesn't know what he's doing and is being led by the same sort of IDIOTS...

Both major parties had a hand in causation, but the problem is Obama's now.

uh, huh...maybe YOU should counsel them and make them understand that THEY NOW OWN THIS...and they are making it worse...and that they should MAN UP and admit it, TAKE responsibility for it.

TO DATE? Obama takes ZERO responsibility for anything...only BLAME...then off to the Golf Course...or the nearest Democrat Campaign stop...and THAT is ALL he's done.

The man needs to GROW UP.

Yep...in defense of the "ARAB SPRING" that he doesn't want to die...I want to know WHY Obama petitioned Congress for $500M to support the "Freedom Fighters" against Assad...when they are the very same Jhihadists that are wreaking havoc in IRAQ...that we have now armed drones monitoring?

WE are being played for suckers here. The BOY KING doesn't know what he's doing and is being led by the same sort of IDIOTS...

So, you support Iran, then, since Iran is THE major regional ally of Assad (along with Russia) AND of the al-Maliki gov't which is now in Iran's sphere of influence thanks to the brilliance of George Winston Churchill Bush and his myopic vision of a new Middle East.

Last edited:

So, you support Iran, then, since Iran is THE major regional ally of Assad (along with Russia) AND of the Maliki gov't which is now in Iran's sphere of influence thanks to the brilliance of George Winston Churchill Bush and his myopic vision of a new Middle East.

NO...Obama DOES for even inferring (Him and John F'ing Kerry) that THEY would work with IRAN...

Stop the twisting MUSTINK.:eusa_hand:

uh, huh...maybe YOU should counsel them and make them understand that THEY NOW OWN THIS...and they are making it worse...and that they should MAN UP and admit it, TAKE responsibility for it.

TO DATE? Obama takes ZERO responsibility for anything...only BLAME...then off to the Golf Course...or the nearest Democrat Campaign stop...and THAT is ALL he's done.

November is only a little over 4 months away. I want results however, not admissions of responsibility. ISIS appears to be fanatical, and regimented.

in a court of law the person driving the car during a bank robbery is just as guilty as the bank robber himself.

November is only a little over 4 months away. I want results however, not admissions of responsibility. ISIS appears to be fanatical, and regimented.
*I* want to hear Obama take responsibility for ONE major screw up...HE WON'T.:eusa_hand:

*I* want to hear Obama take responsibility for ONE major screw up...HE WON'T.:eusa_hand:

What screw ups have Bush and Cheney taken responsibility for?

Forum List

Back