Michelle Rodriguez: Stop stealing white people's superheroes... Make your own

Michelle Rodriguez on that white superhero thing - CNN.com

(CNN)Actress Michelle Rodriguez challenged racial minorities in Hollywood to "develop their own mythology" and tell their own stories instead of recasting traditionally white characters as different races.

"It's not about taking Catwoman or Superman or Green Lantern or whatever these characters are and trying to make them fit to whatever cultural background you are," the "Fast and Furious" star said in a video posted on Facebook on Saturday.

"I think that people should stop being lazy and that people should make an effort in Hollywood to develop their own mythology."

Within 24 hours its posting on Saturday, the video had been viewed nearly 2 million times.

The comments come after Rodriguez was caught on camera Friday saying that minorities should stop "stealing ... white people's superheroes." Rodriguez, who identifies as Puerto Rican and Dominican, was walking to her car when TMZ asked her about rumors that she might be cast in the traditionally male role of superhero Green Lantern, last played by Ryan Reynolds.

She dismissed the rumor as "the dumbest thing I've ever heard." She followed it up with, "It's so stupid. It's like, 'Stop stealing all the white people's superheroes.' ... Make up your own. You know what I'm saying?"

God, I couldn't agree more. As a comic book fan, I rant on about this all the time. The last Captain America movie had the Falcon in it. Marvel is currently working on a Black Panther film. Blade was a very successful franchise. Is it necessary to make the Human Torch a black guy? :dunno:
Why was it necessary to make him a white guy?
dunno.gif
ask stan lee.....and no matter what,johnny storm has been white since 1962....there are now lots of black heros....so no he did not need to be black just to be politically correct.....

ff4reboot-fantastic-four-reboot-cast-set.jpeg

The first two people in this picture are supposed to be biological brother and sister. :dunno:
They probably are. I was reading a news report yesterday that show a pair of twins. One was "black" (Cream coffee skin), the other white...very white. Mother was jamaican. Father white. They were in their own embryo sack or something..which is why one was darker with black hair, the other whiter with blonde hair.

You just made my point. Thanks. How many in the list and how many have anyone heard of?
You never had a point. Most music genres in this country are from Black creativity that whites stole and tried to claim credit.
Name one that whites tried to claim credit for.
Led Zeppelin aren't American but they sure as hell tried to get away with plagiarizing a bunch of blues music.
Everybody borrowed ideas from other artists. They still do.
Yes but LZ had to pay Willie Dixon a ton of $$ because they stole his music and put their name on it.
LZ has a history of stealing from more than a couple of artists. So did Steve Miller.

Michelle Rodriguez on that white superhero thing - CNN.com

(CNN)Actress Michelle Rodriguez challenged racial minorities in Hollywood to "develop their own mythology" and tell their own stories instead of recasting traditionally white characters as different races.

"It's not about taking Catwoman or Superman or Green Lantern or whatever these characters are and trying to make them fit to whatever cultural background you are," the "Fast and Furious" star said in a video posted on Facebook on Saturday.

"I think that people should stop being lazy and that people should make an effort in Hollywood to develop their own mythology."

Within 24 hours its posting on Saturday, the video had been viewed nearly 2 million times.

The comments come after Rodriguez was caught on camera Friday saying that minorities should stop "stealing ... white people's superheroes." Rodriguez, who identifies as Puerto Rican and Dominican, was walking to her car when TMZ asked her about rumors that she might be cast in the traditionally male role of superhero Green Lantern, last played by Ryan Reynolds.

She dismissed the rumor as "the dumbest thing I've ever heard." She followed it up with, "It's so stupid. It's like, 'Stop stealing all the white people's superheroes.' ... Make up your own. You know what I'm saying?"

God, I couldn't agree more. As a comic book fan, I rant on about this all the time. The last Captain America movie had the Falcon in it. Marvel is currently working on a Black Panther film. Blade was a very successful franchise. Is it necessary to make the Human Torch a black guy? :dunno:
Why was it necessary to make him a white guy?
dunno.gif

Um... because he is a white guy? That's like asking why it's necessary for you to be a black guy.
Hes a comic book character. He can be whatever color someone makes him.
he also has a 50 year history.....

You just made my point. Thanks. How many in the list and how many have anyone heard of?
You never had a point. Most music genres in this country are from Black creativity that whites stole and tried to claim credit.
Rock and roll. rhythm and Blues, country. Next thing we know they will be claiming white people started rap.
Generalities with no specificity.
Your brain must have gotten over burdened. Go take a timeout.
Still no specificity.

What's really going on here is the white obsession with Santa, god/Jesus, tooth fairy being white. According to some, all fictional characters MUST be write.

In the real world, where grown ups live, its a non issue.
if you have never read a comic luddy you would not understand.....some things have a history.....the FF4 was not created 2-3 years ago...

Rock and roll. rhythm and Blues, country. Next thing we know they will be claiming white people started rap.
Generalities with no specificity.
Your brain must have gotten over burdened. Go take a timeout.
Still no specificity.
Still no brains.

What's really going on here is the white obsession with Santa, god/Jesus, tooth fairy being white. According to some, all fictional characters MUST be write.

In the real world, where grown ups live, its a non issue.
if you have never read a comic luddy you would not understand.....some things have a history.....the FF4 was not created 2-3 years ago...
Sometimes history is inaccurate as depicted. The Lone Ranger was based off a Black guy but you know who played him.

Led Zeppelin aren't American but they sure as hell tried to get away with plagiarizing a bunch of blues music.
Yes but LZ had to pay Willie Dixon a ton of $$ because they stole his music and put their name on it.
LZ has a history of stealing from more than a couple of artists. So did Steve Miller.
Right. But it proves the point about whites lifting material from blacks. Little Richard successfully sued john Fogerty for plagiarizing Little Richard and turning it into Traveling Band even though Fogerty wrote it as a tribute to LR. Thanks for nothing, eh?

Right. But it proves the point about whites lifting material from blacks. Little Richard successfully sued john Fogerty for plagiarizing Little Richard and turning it into Traveling Band even though Fogerty wrote it as a tribute to LR. Thanks for nothing, eh?
Not specific enough. I need the sheet music to prove your point.

Isn't the hulk green or something?

He was originally gray. :thup:
Youre kidding? The Hulk used to be gray?

Yup. This is the first issue cover.

hulkorigins-01.jpg

Stan Lee wanted him to be gray, but they were having some difficulties with the ink, so they changed him to green. They explained it in canon that the green and grey hulk were different personas battling it own in Bruce Banners head.
Looks like Frankenstein there. :laugh:
He looks better green.

Not specific enough. I need the sheet music to prove your point.
Do you actually believe any of those people involve sheet music in their song writing?

Forum List

Back