Merriam-Webster Alters Definition Of Sexual “Preference” To Say It’s Offensive After Hirono Attacked Barrett For Using It

martybegan

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2010
I guess they have Winston Smith working for them.

Merriam-Webster alters definition of sexual "preference" to say it's offensive after Hirono attacked Barrett for using it

Check the Wayback Machine and you’ll find that Merriam-Webster’s definition of “preference” said nothing about the term being offensive as of September 28, the last time the page was archived. Today the label “offensive” has been attached, with this note about usage:

Usage of Preference
The term preference as used to refer to sexual orientation is widely considered offensive in its implied suggestion that a person can choose who they are sexually or romantically attracted to.
It’s … strange that the alleged offensiveness of the term came to M-W’s attention only recently if it’s “widely considered” to be taboo.

As for when, precisely, the definition was altered, presumably only the editors know. But there is this:

p-2.png

Looks like the page was updated on the very same day that Mazie Hirono went after Barrett for using the term “sexual preference” at her confirmation hearing. Fancy that.

The thing is there is no such thing as a memory hole (yet) when it comes to the internet, things are always archived, by multiple parties, so one can see if things were changed, and usually when they were changed.

Someone needs to tell Merriam-Webster that 1984 wasn't a how to manual.

Merriam-Webster alters definition of sexual "preference" to say it's offensive after Hirono attacked Barrett for using it

Check the Wayback Machine and you’ll find that Merriam-Webster’s definition of “preference” said nothing about the term being offensive as of September 28, the last time the page was archived. Today the label “offensive” has been attached, with this note about usage:

Usage of Preference
The term preference as used to refer to sexual orientation is widely considered offensive in its implied suggestion that a person can choose who they are sexually or romantically attracted to.
It’s … strange that the alleged offensiveness of the term came to M-W’s attention only recently if it’s “widely considered” to be taboo.

As for when, precisely, the definition was altered, presumably only the editors know. But there is this:

p-2.png

Looks like the page was updated on the very same day that Mazie Hirono went after Barrett for using the term “sexual preference” at her confirmation hearing. Fancy that.

The thing is there is no such thing as a memory hole (yet) when it comes to the internet, things are always archived, by multiple parties, so one can see if things were changed, and usually when they were changed.

So my wife and I bought the 1976 two volume edition of Funk and Wagnalls dictionary at an antique store yesterday. And I'll be damned if she didn't want to buy it for this exact reason. Wow.

Usage of Preference

p-2.png

So my wife and I bought the 1976 two volume edition of Funk and Wagnalls dictionary at an antique store yesterday. And I'll be damned if she didn't want to buy it for this exact reason. Wow.

My mother has a 12 in thick dictionary, my great-grandfather's from the early 1900's. I may have to take a walk through it to see how things have changed.

Usage of Preference

p-2.png

My mother has a 12 in thick dictionary, my great-grandfather's from the early 1900's. I may have to take a walk through it to see how things have changed.
We have an 1800's dictionary. It is my favorite book.

I have printed dictionaries ranging from 1887 - 1989, including a 20-volume Oxford.

All pre-Newspeak. :2up:

It just shows how the left is always actively trying to change the very language in an Orwellian way to justify
their political agenda.
A "preference" is not always a conscious choice one makes despite what Crazy Mazie Hirono attacked
ACB over on behalf of the LGBT lobby.

And Mirriam-Webster went back and altered their definition to back up Hirono. The Marxist left plays to
win, by any means necessary.

I'm female and am attracted to males. Is this a preference? Some conscious choice that I made that I don't recall?

I'm female and am attracted to males. Is this a preference? Some conscious choice that I made that I don't recall?
Preferences aren't necessarily consciously made choices. Wake up!

noun: preference; plural noun: preferences
  1. 1.
    a greater liking for one alternative over another or others.

Usage of Preference

p-2.png

This is so they can justify and normalize pedophilia. Sexual attraction is a preordained “orientation”, thus it must be allowed.

So now you lefties are claiming sexual preference isn’t a choice, but gender is.

:spinner:
You are the ones making these distinctions. A person is whomever s/he defines themself as. It comes from within. we do not understand the in's and out's of human sexuality, where it comes from and where it goes.

So now you lefties are claiming sexual preference isn’t a choice, but gender is.

You are the ones making these distinctions. A person is whomever s/he defines themself as. It comes from within. we do not understand the in's and out's of human sexuality, where it comes from and where it goes.
Nature makes the distinction for gender.

Nature makes the distinction for gender.
So you will accept whatever comes of it. You seem to understand why I would welcome one male and reject the next. You know so much, so come on and tell it.

Yes, you would prefer to have sex with a man over a woman, right? I mean technically speaking, you could have sex with a woman, but you dont want to, right?

Turning "sexual preference" into a naughty word is fucking stupid. No one is going to get behind this madness. This shit makes you lefties look retarded.

Forum List

Back