Mentally handicap locked in dungeon for benefits

Ahhh.... the glory of Privatization. Let's throw the Developmentally Disabled out of very regulated institutions and put them in either "for Profit" Group Homes, or in this case...a private home.

Face it.... there are cases where government is needed.... same with the prison system.

Ahhh.... the glory of Privatization. Let's throw the Developmentally Disabled out of very regulated institutions and put them in either "for Profit" Group Homes, or in this case...a private home.

Face it.... there are cases where government is needed.... same with the prison system.

Very few - even real conservatives - will argue with that.

But isolated cases will happen whoever has overall responsibility for them. It happens everywhere, it's not unique to the US.

Of course not, although this is an extreme case.

This woman was convicted of the same thing 30 years ago. I fear there have been other victims since that time.

Breakdown of families. Sadly, only one was reported missing.

Of course not, although this is an extreme case.

This woman was convicted of the same thing 30 years ago. I fear there have been other victims since that time.

Breakdown of families. Sadly, only one was reported missing.

Children and the mentally ill are often exploited in this way.

My guess would have been foster children are used as cash cows more often than the mentally ill, but perhaps this kind of group home scam is common in that area, as well.

When law authoritries investigate they will find out that mental hospital doctors are responsible for majority of Prescription drugs related deaths worldwide. Mental hospital doctors are useless people and they survive on money earned for poor and weak people sufferings. The mental drugs/medcines affect the minds of weak people and they cannot fight back and they are destroyed further mentally.

Mental hospitals receive grants and donations. The reason people are kept in mental hospitals is that they can earn grants/money for keeping the patient alive. Nobody will give money for a dead person.

Mental doctors will starve to death if they do not suffer weak people because these useless mental doctors do not have any knowledge and talent to earn money.

Have you ever heard of mad animals being admitted to mental hospital. If people think a animal has gone mad and dangerous then the animal is shot dead/killed.

Well if people will get psychotic drugs from a mental doctor, you have got to expect problems really.

All the mental hospitals and such institutions in the world will be shut down forever.

Huh?

My suspicions were correct. They are now saying it may have been up to 50 victims.
Ten children and teens were taken into protective custody Tuesday night, ranging in age from 2 to 19, reportedly near the apartment building in Philadelphia's Tacony neighborhood, where the four original victims were discovered Saturday morning.

"At least we were able to locate several children that we were concerned about," Ramsey added. "That's the good news. Bad news is some of them were not treated very well. In fact, one has some pretty serious injuries."

Investigators said there could be as many as 50 additional victims in the case. On Monday, Ramsey said that Weston had Social Security documents and other personal information for "almost 50 people" in her possession when she was arrested.

Read more: Gruesome Details Emerge In Philadelphia Dungeon Case | Fox News

Even if a group is privately owned they are still very regulated. If you are running a business where you take care of the disabled or elderly it doesn't matter if you are private. In Washington State if state walks in, which they show up unannounced, and you have someone's wheel chair locked and they are not able to unlock their wheel chair themselves you can be fined.
Side note, if they are in institution they can be restrained. They can be medically or physically restrained for their safety.

reason: it is dangerous to lock the wheels....a patient left alone for a minute will try to move forward and flip the chair over......you should see the photos of their faces after they hit the ground

Even if a group is privately owned they are still very regulated. If you are running a business where you take care of the disabled or elderly it doesn't matter if you are private. In Washington State if state walks in, which they show up unannounced, and you have someone's wheel chair locked and they are not able to unlock their wheel chair themselves you can be fined.
Side note, if they are in institution they can be restrained. They can be medically or physically restrained for their safety.

Not in Pennsylvania. I work in an Institution. I started in 1986. Back then, all restraints were on the table... Physical, Chemical and Mechanical. The behavioral support model was one of negative/positive reinforcement. One of the guys do something you like, you give them an M & M. They do something wrong, you give them a negative consequence. In the early 90's, that model changed to a positive only reinforcement, and for the vast majority of our people, they thrived. Since then, we have moved even further away from negatives consequences. Most of them respond very well. Some, however... do not. Folks with borderline personality disorders tend to not do so well with a positive only environment.

They continually push the boundaries until you have to say no to something... then you have a behavioral crisis on your hands. These types of people need negative consequences... not restraints, but naturally occurring consequences. You don't want to shower? You can't go out to the restaurant. You don't want to go to workshop? You don't earn money.

We don't do physical restraints anymore. We have these blue pads with handles on the back. we use them to protect ourselves and other individuals from being struck. But we do not use them offensively. The idea is to let them wear themselves out, then when they're calm, try to talk the problem out.

To the previous poster:

As far as psychotropic drugs are concerned, Let me put it this way... If it were me, and I was in psychiatric misery, I would much rather have 60 years of stability and relative peace than 80 years of psychosis. I think there are a lot of misconceptions about the MH/MR field. People tend to go back to the 60's and 70's warehousing days and think that those actions are still going on. Ever since Pennhurst, Pennsylvania has worked very hard to be at the forefront of the field and I think we do a hell of a job.

reason: it is dangerous to lock the wheels....a patient left alone for a minute will try to move forward and flip the chair over......you should see the photos of their faces after they hit the ground

Another thing that happens sometimes is that a staff person will move a wheelchair without putting the legrests on. Then their legs get caught underneath and you have a broken ankle.

One thing that people have to understand is that a lot of these things do not happen maliciously. Sometimes it happens as a result of direct care staff not simply not paying attention, sometimes it happens because staff have to keep to a certain schedule and are trying to keep to it.

I know. :D
But to the state of washington it is considered a form of restraint. Even clothes can be considered a form of restraint.

Another thing that happens sometimes is that a staff person will move a wheelchair without putting the legrests on. Then their legs get caught underneath and you have a broken ankle.

One thing that people have to understand is that a lot of these things do not happen maliciously. Sometimes it happens as a result of direct care staff not simply not paying attention, sometimes it happens because staff have to keep to a certain schedule and are trying to keep to it.

or shit just doesn't happen. Doing what I do, I know you can do everything right, follow the rules, have fall alarms etc and someone will still fall. I had a lady fall and crack open her head the other night and I had tried everything that night to get her settle down, and stay safe.

or shit just doesn't happen. Doing what I do, I know you can do everything right, follow the rules, have fall alarms etc and someone will still fall. I had a lady fall and crack open her head the other night and I had tried everything that night to get her settle down, and stay safe.

Oh, I know... You're right. Whenever you are working with people, the unpredictable can and does happen. In our institution, every injury is investigated as possible abuse. Every allegation is also investigated, as it should be. The problem is, Individual A reports a staff person for abuse of some kind. That person is taken out of compliment and thrown into a no client contact work assignment(usually dietary). Oft times the situation gets resolved early on. Most of these allegations are by verbal Individuals who are angry at the staff person because they had to say "no" to something they wanted or wanted to do. Most times, these people recant their stories once they calm down, but the investigation continues for about 6 weeks. I guess I wish there was a more efficient method for doing these investigations, but I also understand that erring on the side of caution is better than the alternative of letting someone get abused.

It's just tough when you see people you work with taken out of a Living Area when you know exactly what happened. I've never had it happen to me, but I've seen it happen to some of my co-workers who are very caring and would never hurt any of these people in any way.

Sorry for rambling...

:eusa_eh:

The three people found in the basement — a 29-year-old woman and the men, who are 31, 35, and 41 — have the mental capacity of 10-year-olds, police said. They were taken to a hospital for treatment and listed in stable condition. Little said the victims, whose names were not released, appeared to have no physical problems other than malnourishment

OK, someone needs to ask The Question:

How did Truthmatters, Rdean, Old Rocks, and Wry Catcher get internet service in a sub-basement?

AFTER LINDA ANN Weston got paroled from prison, where she served about four years for locking her sister's boyfriend in a closet and starving him to death, the just-freed convicted murderer marched into Family Court.

She wanted her kids back. And the court gave them to her. Weston's siblings were baffled at how DHS could entrust her with children, given her violent past. Weston has at least eight children, three of whom are juveniles.

Did Family Court know, for instance, that one of Weston's younger siblings, Alexander Weston, then 13, testified - during a 1983 preliminary hearing in the Bernardo Ramos murder case - that he was afraid of Weston and that she often hit him with a broom? And that a sister of Weston's testified that Weston had struck her with an electrical cord? Or that an attorney for another sister, Venus Weston, told the criminal court that the family had a long history of incest?

He said Weston forced her siblings to have sex with each other. "It was at her direction. . . . It seemed like it was happening every time I turned around."

If he refused to watch or if he hid, she beat him with an air-conditioner cord, he said. One time, when he was about 8 years old, Weston put him in the oven because he refused to watch her having sex with her cousin, he said.

Troy Weston told the Daily News that Weston had forced two of her sisters to prostitute themselves when they were between the ages of 13 and 17.

Weston also drugged him when he was a small boy, Troy said. "One time she gave me a pill and it got me so groggy," he said. "My brother came to get me. He thought maybe she was going to put me in the basement."

Siblings had alleged incest, abuse, but court gave kids back to Weston | Philadelphia Daily News | 10/21/2011

Her 18 year old son has come to her defense. He said the people liked living in the basement. If they didn't, they should have yelled. :(

Those kids will never be right.

AFTER LINDA ANN Weston got paroled from prison, where she served about four years for locking her sister's boyfriend in a closet and starving him to death, the just-freed convicted murderer marched into Family Court.

She wanted her kids back. And the court gave them to her. Weston's siblings were baffled at how DHS could entrust her with children, given her violent past. Weston has at least eight children, three of whom are juveniles.

Did Family Court know, for instance, that one of Weston's younger siblings, Alexander Weston, then 13, testified - during a 1983 preliminary hearing in the Bernardo Ramos murder case - that he was afraid of Weston and that she often hit him with a broom? And that a sister of Weston's testified that Weston had struck her with an electrical cord? Or that an attorney for another sister, Venus Weston, told the criminal court that the family had a long history of incest?

He said Weston forced her siblings to have sex with each other. "It was at her direction. . . . It seemed like it was happening every time I turned around."

If he refused to watch or if he hid, she beat him with an air-conditioner cord, he said. One time, when he was about 8 years old, Weston put him in the oven because he refused to watch her having sex with her cousin, he said.

Troy Weston told the Daily News that Weston had forced two of her sisters to prostitute themselves when they were between the ages of 13 and 17.

Weston also drugged him when he was a small boy, Troy said. "One time she gave me a pill and it got me so groggy," he said. "My brother came to get me. He thought maybe she was going to put me in the basement."

Siblings had alleged incest, abuse, but court gave kids back to Weston | Philadelphia Daily News | 10/21/2011

Her 18 year old son has come to her defense. He said the people liked living in the basement. If they didn't, they should have yelled. :(

Those kids will never be right.

Sounds like a typical urban black family to me.

Huh?

My suspicions were correct. They are now saying it may have been up to 50 victims.
Ten children and teens were taken into protective custody Tuesday night, ranging in age from 2 to 19, reportedly near the apartment building in Philadelphia's Tacony neighborhood, where the four original victims were discovered Saturday morning.

"At least we were able to locate several children that we were concerned about," Ramsey added. "That's the good news. Bad news is some of them were not treated very well. In fact, one has some pretty serious injuries."

Investigators said there could be as many as 50 additional victims in the case. On Monday, Ramsey said that Weston had Social Security documents and other personal information for "almost 50 people" in her possession when she was arrested.

Read more: Gruesome Details Emerge In Philadelphia Dungeon Case | Fox News

The Progressive's entitlement doctrine...and it's deep roots. FDR is either apalled or rejoicing from the grave. And how about that Great Society of LBJ?

He too must be so proud of this. Out-friggin'-standing!:clap2:

Forum List

Back