Zone1 Members of mafia clans are Catholics and faith in God

Quentin111

VIP Member
Oct 26, 2014
I've recently become interested in the moral dilemma that may confront members of mafia clans such as the Corleone family in the film "The Godfather." On the one hand, they are devout Catholics, they go to the Catholic Church and baptize their children. On the other hand, they are bandits and murderers who constantly violate the basic commandments of the Lord God and commit mortal sins. How does this fit in their soul and faith in the Christian God? Do they even repent before the face of the Lord God in confession? Francis Ford Coppola showed this very well in the final scene of The Godfather Part 1, when Michael Corleone takes part in the church ritual of baptism of his sister's son and at the same time scenes of the murder of his enemies are shown.

the RC church are benefactors, so they keep their eyes & ears shut whilst their palms are wide open.
the church has been fine with byzantine emperors and bloody transylvanian counts.

the oss and la cosa nostra have had a cozy relationship since the invasion of sicily and the cia invented.

Only in their minds is there a loophole.

You either submit to God and forsake a life of sin or you lie to yourself and say you can have the best of both worlds.

then the child diddling priests need to start with themselves.

Only in their minds is there a loophole.

You either submit to God and forsake a life of sin or you lie to yourself and say you can have the best of both worlds.
"go and sin no more"

votto. i;ll start by saying that if there were very many pedophile priests i must have been an ugly alter boy. there seem to have been a few, though.

is penance the loophole (which any catechism grad can tell us is the mortal sin of "presumption" ) used by the pedophile priests and their bishops? that by saying a few "hail marys" everything is ok?

I've recently become interested in the moral dilemma that may confront members of mafia clans such as the Corleone family in the film "The Godfather." On the one hand, they are devout Catholics, they go to the Catholic Church and baptize their children. On the other hand, they are bandits and murderers who constantly violate the basic commandments of the Lord God and commit mortal sins. How does this fit in their soul and faith in the Christian God? Do they even repent before the face of the Lord God in confession? Francis Ford Coppola showed this very well in the final scene of The Godfather Part 1, when Michael Corleone takes part in the church ritual of baptism of his sister's son and at the same time scenes of the murder of his enemies are shown.
Or is their faith insincere, they only perform church rituals for appearances, to maintain decency in society? Or do they sin deliberately, ready to give their souls to the Devil in order to provide a normal life for their children, as Michael Corleone writes in a letter to his daughter Mary at the beginning of the third film “The Godfather”, and as a result Mary dies in a mafia showdown?

"go and sin no more"

votto. i;ll start by saying that if there were very many pedophile priests i must have been an ugly alter boy. there seem to have been a few, though.

is penance the loophole (which any catechism grad can tell us is the mortal sin of "presumption" ) used by the pedophile priests and their bishops? that by saying a few "hail marys" everything is ok?
I'm no Catholic, but I know what the Bible teaches.

Saying hail Mary's does nothing, I can assure you.

The Bible is littered with examples of God not being impressed with religious exercises where your heart is not in it.

Trouble is, God only cares about the condition of your heart.

Or is their faith insincere, they only perform church rituals for appearances, to maintain decency in society? Or do they sin deliberately, ready to give their souls to the Devil in order to provide a normal life for their children, as Michael Corleone writes in a letter to his daughter Mary at the beginning of the third film “The Godfather”, and as a result Mary dies in a mafia showdown?
the only way out of the life, for the children, is the priesthood/or convent. these are generally family men, who do want better for their children.

and there is the omerta that prevents the wives from knowing the business. if my wife wants me in church i am soon enough in a pew

That is, the Catholic mafiosi are counting on bribing the Lord God?
It is akin to Biden saying he is Catholic, and supporting abortion on demand.

Not much difference really than Biden and the mafia in that regard.

I'm sure Biden has himself convinced God understands as well, even probably made a deal with God in some way, granted, a one way deal with God not really in the mix, but at least it helps him sleep at night.

I'm no Catholic, but I know what the Bible teaches.

Saying hail Mary's does nothing, I can assure you.
That part of the Judeo-Christian story is meaningless is meaningless to you, then?

Priests, Ministers, Rabbis and Mullahs have all blessed people going to war. I know the wiseguy's club in my neighborhood had more statues of saints (statues per square foot), than I'd ever seen in a church. :auiqs.jpg:

And I never saw those guys on a Sunday, in a church.

Forum List

Back