Megan Rapinoe's World Cup career comes to tearful end

JustAGuy1

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2019
Aug 6 (Reuters) - Megan Rapinoe did not get the Women's World Cup farewell she wanted on Sunday, a penalty that sailed over the crossbar the last international play by one of the United States' most decorated players.

American soccer's charismatic figurehead was sent on as a substitute in extra time but the last-16 game against old foes Sweden ended 0-0 before the Swedes won the penalty shootout 5-4.

Rapinoe was of three American players to miss her spot-kick.

"This is the balance to the beautiful side of the game. I think it can be cruel and (it was) just not our day," Rapinoe told Fox Sports.

"I still just feel really grateful and joyful."

Renowned for her reliability as a penalty taker, Rapinoe said missing one in the final moment of her career felt like "a sick joke".

She tearfully embraced her coach on the pitch before linking up with her team mates one last time while the Sweden players celebrated to Abba's "Dancing Queen".

Well......bye.

200.gif

She took the spot on the team that a 20 YO coulda had who coulda made that kick with her eyes closed
I’m not a fan of replacing proven veterans with unproven players at top level tournaments. For all her woke shit, Rapino has been a top level player for years.

Far too often recent the Senior US soccer teams of both genders have relied on unproven youth over proven veteran players and the results have been unacceptable (see the USMNT Gold Cup results vs their Nations League victory earlier this year).

Aug 6 (Reuters) - Megan Rapinoe did not get the Women's World Cup farewell she wanted on Sunday, a penalty that sailed over the crossbar the last international play by one of the United States' most decorated players.

American soccer's charismatic figurehead was sent on as a substitute in extra time but the last-16 game against old foes Sweden ended 0-0 before the Swedes won the penalty shootout 5-4.

Rapinoe was of three American players to miss her spot-kick.

"This is the balance to the beautiful side of the game. I think it can be cruel and (it was) just not our day," Rapinoe told Fox Sports.

"I still just feel really grateful and joyful."

Renowned for her reliability as a penalty taker, Rapinoe said missing one in the final moment of her career felt like "a sick joke".

She tearfully embraced her coach on the pitch before linking up with her team mates one last time while the Sweden players celebrated to Abba's "Dancing Queen".

Well......bye.
Sometimes you get the bear, sometimes, the bear gets you.

I’m not a fan of replacing proven veterans with unproven players at top level tournaments. For all her woke shit, Rapino has been a top level player for years.

Far too often recent the Senior US soccer teams of both genders have relied on unproven youth over proven veteran players and the results have been unacceptable (see the USMNT Gold Cup results vs their Nations League victory earlier this year).
20 is not “ Youth”

Well, your first sentence (minus the "woke" distraction) is spot on. Rapinoe was a top player. But, eventually, every player..gets older and slower. When you replace them with younger, more raw talent, it takes time for that talent to gel. Sometimes, it doesn't gel at all. Let's see how they respond in four years. The world isn't afraid of the US women's soccer team anymore.

But, eventually, every player..gets older and slower. When you replace them with younger, more raw talent, it takes time for that talent to gel
Very true. The thing is, thst gelling beds to happen BEFORE a major tournament, not AT that tournament. This is a problem for both US teams as neither coaching staff is willing to commit to a standardized roster for most/all call-ups. Instead they constantly change rosters, seriously limiting the ability for players to get comfortable with each other.
Let's see how they respond in four years. The world isn't afraid of the US women's soccer team anymore.
Nor should they be until the US shoes the talent level and killer instinct they used to have.

Very true. The thing is, thst gelling beds to happen BEFORE a major tournament, not AT that tournament. This is a problem for both US teams as neither coaching staff is willing to commit to a standardized roster for most/all call-ups. Instead they constantly change rosters, seriously limiting the ability for players to get comfortable with each other.

Nor should they be until the US shoes the talent level and killer instinct they used to have.
Yep. Julie Foudy said as much. And she got lambasted for it.
Whoops. Turns out, she was right. Sorry, Julie. :)

Forum List

Back