Megan Rapinoe's World Cup career comes to tearful end

Aug 6 (Reuters) - Megan Rapinoe did not get the Women's World Cup farewell she wanted on Sunday, a penalty that sailed over the crossbar the last international play by one of the United States' most decorated players.

American soccer's charismatic figurehead was sent on as a substitute in extra time but the last-16 game against old foes Sweden ended 0-0 before the Swedes won the penalty shootout 5-4.

Rapinoe was of three American players to miss her spot-kick.

"This is the balance to the beautiful side of the game. I think it can be cruel and (it was) just not our day," Rapinoe told Fox Sports.

"I still just feel really grateful and joyful."

Renowned for her reliability as a penalty taker, Rapinoe said missing one in the final moment of her career felt like "a sick joke".

She tearfully embraced her coach on the pitch before linking up with her team mates one last time while the Sweden players celebrated to Abba's "Dancing Queen".

Well......bye.
Past Women's World Cup Winners by Year
  • 2019 – United States. ---> TRUMP
INSTALL A LOSER PRESIDENT AND THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS
THE WOMEN LOSE!
Biden is an all around disaster.

Time to put Trump back into office. Biden is a disaster. You know it, I know it, the WORLD KNOWS IT!
Cocaine in the White House? Nibbling on a baby's fingers? You have to draw the line somewhere.

0b3652021db51e74.jpeg
Looks a lot like YOU.

Aug 6 (Reuters) - Megan Rapinoe did not get the Women's World Cup farewell she wanted on Sunday, a penalty that sailed over the crossbar the last international play by one of the United States' most decorated players.

American soccer's charismatic figurehead was sent on as a substitute in extra time but the last-16 game against old foes Sweden ended 0-0 before the Swedes won the penalty shootout 5-4.

"This is the balance to the beautiful side of the game. I think it can be cruel and (it was) just not our day," Rapinoe told Fox Sports.

Renowned for her reliability as a penalty taker, Rapinoe said missing one in the final moment of her career felt like "a sick joke".

She tearfully embraced her coach on the pitch before linking up with her team mates one last time while the Sweden players celebrated to Abba's "Dancing Queen".

Well......bye.

The Cowboys should hire her. ;)
F24tMYJXgAEtJIR.jpg

Well......bye.

Only a socialized society in parts of a capitalist civilization would make a hero of minor league playing sports athletes due to a political takeover of a nation from authoritarians backed by the most powerful people in the world. And from this the

I’m not a fan of replacing proven veterans with unproven players at top level tournaments. For all her woke shit, Rapino has been a top level player for years.

Far too often recent the Senior US soccer teams of both genders have relied on unproven youth over proven veteran players and the results have been unacceptable (see the USMNT Gold Cup results vs their Nations League victory earlier this year).
Really? I watched her play a couple of times, she looks slow and behind all the plays.
Good riddance.

Forum List

Back