Can Golf be Exciting?

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh

I spent some time this afternoon watching Bryson D play the greatest round of golf I've ever seen. While there was little drama - he was pulling away from the field - his play was magical. For non-golfers, he ended up shooting a 58, tying the best score ever achieved at the top level of professional golf.

He was attacking the flagstick on every hole. The weather got worse and worse as the round went forward. By the time he reached the 18th green he was playing in a driving rain. 35 feet or so from the pin, the hope was that he would get down in two strokes from there, giving him a 59...but he actually made the 35 footer for a 58. On Saturday he shot a 61, giving him, without any doubt, the best two-round total in the history of professional golf. He was the first golfer ever to break 60 while having a bogey in the round.

I can't think of any one-day or two-day accomplishment in any other sport that compares. The only thing that comes to mind is Wilt's 100 point game. Even a perfect game in baseball is accomplished with some regularity and that cannot be said about DeChambeau's accomplishment. It is unique.

Again, for non-golfers, DeChambeau is a technical rebel, scorned by professional golfers around the world. He employs a "single-plane" swing, a technique that only about 2% of teaching pro's will even teach, unless you force the issue. His clubs are also revolutionary. Everyone else's clubs have a different length and different "lie angle" for every iron. DeChambeau's clubs are all the same length and have the same lie angle, from 3-iron to wedges.

His accomplishment has special meaning for me, because I golf the same way (technique-wise, not skill wise). His "single-plane" swing was pioneered by Canadian great, Moe Norman, who was self taught and still remembered as one of the best "ball strikers" in the history of the game. When Normal was in his 60's, he gave a day of clinics for golfing students, hitting over 700 tee shots - every one landing within a 15-yard radius.

As I watched Bryson play the 16th hole or so, I brought up ESPN on my Chromebook and saw that the round was actually over, and he had shot the 58 I was watching a taped replay. Bummer. No matter. It was exciting, especially when I predicted to my wife that he would make that 35-foot putt at the end!

I can appreciate the remarkable skill it takes to play pro golf but I still get bored with just the highlights.

I played golf when I was younger and It can be an exciting and enjoyable game. Hitting a golf ball straight is not as easy as many people assume it to be. My son and I would play the Rockwood and Z. Boaz courses in Fort Worth.

Last edited:
I played golf when I was younger and It can be an exciting and enjoyable game. Hitting a golf ball straight is not as easy as many people assume it to be. My son and I would play the Rockwood and Boaz courses in Fort Worth.
Depends on how long the ball was gay.

Of course golf is exciting. You can barely go out without finding some old people with their carts stuck somewhere even an 8 year old would have better sense than to try to take a golf cart.

I hit a birdie once. Literally. As soon as I hit down the roughline with low flying 3 wood shot, a bird took off crossing right into the path. Killed the poor thing dead.

One time I was teeing off on a course that had concrete tee markers. My shot hit one of them and bounced back and hit me dead square in the middle of my forehead. Didn't knock me out, but I wished it had. That really rang my bell.

Anyway, congrats to Mr. 58.

I spent some time this afternoon watching Bryson D play the greatest round of golf I've ever seen. While there was little drama - he was pulling away from the field - his play was magical. For non-golfers, he ended up shooting a 58, tying the best score ever achieved at the top level of professional golf.

He was attacking the flagstick on every hole. The weather got worse and worse as the round went forward. By the time he reached the 18th green he was playing in a driving rain. 35 feet or so from the pin, the hope was that he would get down in two strokes from there, giving him a 59...but he actually made the 35 footer for a 58. On Saturday he shot a 61, giving him, without any doubt, the best two-round total in the history of professional golf. He was the first golfer ever to break 60 while having a bogey in the round.

I can't think of any one-day or two-day accomplishment in any other sport that compares. The only thing that comes to mind is Wilt's 100 point game. Even a perfect game in baseball is accomplished with some regularity and that cannot be said about DeChambeau's accomplishment. It is unique.

Again, for non-golfers, DeChambeau is a technical rebel, scorned by professional golfers around the world. He employs a "single-plane" swing, a technique that only about 2% of teaching pro's will even teach, unless you force the issue. His clubs are also revolutionary. Everyone else's clubs have a different length and different "lie angle" for every iron. DeChambeau's clubs are all the same length and have the same lie angle, from 3-iron to wedges.

His accomplishment has special meaning for me, because I golf the same way (technique-wise, not skill wise). His "single-plane" swing was pioneered by Canadian great, Moe Norman, who was self taught and still remembered as one of the best "ball strikers" in the history of the game. When Normal was in his 60's, he gave a day of clinics for golfing students, hitting over 700 tee shots - every one landing within a 15-yard radius.

As I watched Bryson play the 16th hole or so, I brought up ESPN on my Chromebook and saw that the round was actually over, and he had shot the 58 I was watching a taped replay. Bummer. No matter. It was exciting, especially when I predicted to my wife that he would make that 35-foot putt at the end!
no

Yes, they are for old people to get around the retirement community.
Jesus, Most of your posts are good but like everyone else you find one subject where you can't tell the truth and come off as a fucking idiot. The inner leftist in you has emerged. You've never played golf, yet you know it can't be enjoyable. How ludicrous.

Jesus, Most of your posts are good but like everyone else you find one subject where you can't tell the truth and come off as a fucking idiot.

I find golf to be dull as tepid dishwater. It's a matter of taste. One person's taste may be as good as another's, but we each prefer our own. So deal with it.

I find golf to be dull as tepid dishwater. It's a matter of taste. One person's taste may be as good as another's, but we each prefer our own. So deal with it.
I bet you could not hit a golf ball straight to save your miserable life.

Forum List

Back