World Cup stunner: Saudi Arabia beats Messi's Argentina to snap 36-game unbeaten run

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
Wow.

Some posters online are making this political, but this is one hell of shocker.

The Saudis were +1900 underdogs. For those who don't know, this means you have to bet $100 to win $1900. I wish I knew what the live betting odds were when Argentina was up 1-0, probably at least +4500 or so.

Someone made a hell of a lot of money. A few princes I'm sure.

LUSAIL, Qatar — Lionel Messi stood with his hands on his hips near the center circle, looking stone-faced as Saudi Arabia’s jubilant players ran in all directions around him after scoring one of the biggest World Cup upsets ever against Argentina.

The South American champion and one of the tournament favourites slumped to a 2-1 loss against Saudi Arabia on Tuesday, in a deflating start to Messi’s quest to win the one major title that has eluded him.

Saudi Arabia's comeback joins the list of other major World Cup upsets: Cameroon’s 1-0 win over an Argentina team led by Diego Maradona in the opening game of the 1990 World Cup, Senegal’s 1-0 victory over titleholder France 1-0 in the 2002 tournament opener or the United States beating England by the same score in 1950.

They are hoping this is like 1990, when Maradona and Argentina lost to Cameroon in first round but made it all the way to the final.

Yes, it is a major upset. I didn't see it but apparently there is a real striker on the Saudi team.

Based,
br.jpg

Considering how seriously Argentinians take the sport, there could be some serious trouble brewing if a big run doesn’t follow this bad loss. Hopefully not like Colombia where a player was gunned down in the street years ago.

Considering how seriously Argentinians take the sport, there could be some serious trouble brewing if a big run doesn’t follow this bad loss. Hopefully not like Colombia where a player was gunned down in the street years ago.
That was a player who accidentally kicked a goal in favor of the other team. He was killed after an argument in a bar. Argentina will still win the group, I bet money on it.

That was a player who accidentally kicked a goal in favor of the other team. He was killed after an argument in a bar. Argentina will still win the group, I bet money on it.

Worse, the own goal was against America. I remember this well, although apparently if I also remember the details, it was an argument at a bar. The story was the guy said "that's for the own goal", but who knows if that is true, or, if the guy just said it afterwards for effect.

Sad and disgusting either way.

Wow.

Some posters online are making this political, but this is one hell of shocker.

The Saudis were +1900 underdogs. For those who don't know, this means you have to bet $100 to win $1900. I wish I knew what the live betting odds were when Argentina was up 1-0, probably at least +4500 or so.

Someone made a hell of a lot of money. A few princes I'm sure.

LUSAIL, Qatar — Lionel Messi stood with his hands on his hips near the center circle, looking stone-faced as Saudi Arabia’s jubilant players ran in all directions around him after scoring one of the biggest World Cup upsets ever against Argentina.

The South American champion and one of the tournament favourites slumped to a 2-1 loss against Saudi Arabia on Tuesday, in a deflating start to Messi’s quest to win the one major title that has eluded him.

Saudi Arabia's comeback joins the list of other major World Cup upsets: Cameroon’s 1-0 win over an Argentina team led by Diego Maradona in the opening game of the 1990 World Cup, Senegal’s 1-0 victory over titleholder France 1-0 in the 2002 tournament opener or the United States beating England by the same score in 1950.
That was interesting news EVERYONE was talking about it. So I go home and turn on some random game that's on at the time. I can only watch for about 28 seconds and I look for the clicker. Boring! Even if it's my team. Okay maybe if it's my team. Or the finals. Or the last 5 minutes of a game. Otherwise, no thanks.

But it's still fun to hear who's winning and who's not. So keep us informed. Any new upsets? How's USA doing?

Forum List

Back