Media "fact checkers" lie to try to save Obama.

Apparently the government under President George Bush was not there to support them huh? In reality it was because they made gas guzzling SUV at that plant. GM management is to blame. Not Bush, not Obama. But fact of the matter is the plant closed before he took office.

When the plant closed had nothing to do with what Obama said. Also, the plant closed in April of 2009. Was Obama in office yet?

Here is how it really went down:

Fact-Checkers Wrong on Ryan GM Claim
Alana Goodman | @alanagoodman 08.30.2012 - 11:50 AM

The Associated Press and other fact-checkers are insisting that the line about the Janesville GM factory in Paul Ryan’s speech last night was inaccurate — and once again, the fact-checkers are wrong. Here’s the AP’s allegation against Ryan:

RYAN: Said Obama misled people in Ryan’s hometown of Janesville, Wis., by making them think a General Motors plant there threatened with closure could be saved. “A lot of guys I went to high school with worked at that GM plant. Right there at that plant, candidate Obama said: ‘I believe that if our government is there to support you … this plant will be here for another hundred years.’ That’s what he said in 2008. Well, as it turned out, that plant didn’t last another year.”

THE FACTS: The plant halted production in December 2008, weeks before Obama took office and well before he enacted a more robust auto industry bailout that rescued GM and Chrysler and allowed the majority of their plants — though not the Janesville facility — to stay in operation. Ryan himself voted for an auto bailout under President George W. Bush that was designed to help GM, but he was a vocal critic of the one pushed through by Obama that has been widely credited with revitalizing both GM and Chrysler.

The AP might want to check back on its own reporting on the plant closure, starting with this article from April 19, 2009, headlined “GM plant in Janesville to close for good this week”:

Production at the General Motors plant in Janesville is scheduled to end for good this week.

GM spokesman Christopher Lee says operations at the southern Wisconsin plant will cease Thursday.

About 1,200 employees were let go just before Christmas when GM ended SUV production at the plant.

Some 100 workers were retained to finish an order of small- to medium-duty trucks for Isuzu Motors Ltd.

Lee says most of those workers will be laid off Thursday. He says others will be kept on to help guide the plant’s shutdown.

The Janesville plant ended its SUV production line and laid off over 1,000 workers in December 2008, but the plant didn’t officially close. It continued to churn out an order of Isuzu trucks until April 2009, while the local union lobbied GM for a lifeline. In May, GM put the plant onto standby, meaning that it wasn’t completely shutting the door on it. There was some hope the plant would be able to resume production — and Wisconsin’s bipartisan congressional delegation, including Paul Ryan, scrambled to find a way to keep it alive — but it never happened.

To simply say that the plant “halted production” in December 2008, like AP does, is both inaccurate and misleading. It was more complicated than that. If the media wants to criticize Ryan for not being “nuanced” enough and failing to praise Obama for brilliantly saving GM, that’s fine. But Ryan’s comments weren’t inaccurate.

Fact-Checkers Wrong on Ryan GM Claim « Commentary Magazine
Oh come on, even the Bush White House supported the GM closing of the Janesville plant during his term!!!

GM slashes truck, SUV production over gasoline prices

GM slashes truck, SUV production over gasoline prices
05/06/2008 - General Motors predicted Tuesday the end of the era of gasoline guzzlers as it announced plans to close four North American truck and sport utility vehicle plants and ramp up production of new fuel-efficient vehicles.
snip/
The White House called the announcement a sign that the auto giant was "adapting well" to market shifts.

"It's a sign that Detroit continues to adapt and evolve and address the change in consumer tastes and attitudes. And I think that they're adapting well," spokeswoman Dana Perino said.

snip/
GM plans to shutter production at its Toluca, Mexico, pickup truck at the end of the year and its Oshawa, Canada, plant will be closed in 2009. Plants in Moraine, Ohio, and Janesville, Wisconsin, are slated for closure in 2010 "or sooner if market demand dictates," GM said.

Apparently the government under President George Bush was not there to support them huh? In reality it was because they made gas guzzling SUV at that plant. GM management is to blame. Not Bush, not Obama. But fact of the matter is the plant closed before he took office.

When the plant closed had nothing to do with what Obama said. Also, the plant closed in April of 2009. Was Obama in office yet?

Yes, he took office in Jan of 2009 Asshat

I think they already have. That's why Romney is going to win.

Oh! Ha Ha! I see what you did there! You turned my words around and used them against me.......completely removing the context of my statement. How "conservative" of you. Pretty high caliber stuff for a Rick Perry supporter.

And then you deflect, like the moron you are.
Fail.

Do you know the meaning of the word "deflect"? It seems as though you don't.

Is your kind of stupid contagious?

$554825_426292167417372_95789957_n.jpg

Oh! Ha Ha! I see what you did there! You turned my words around and used them against me.......completely removing the context of my statement. How "conservative" of you. Pretty high caliber stuff for a Rick Perry supporter.

Fail.

Yes. Deflection occurs when someone has been caught on something and then tries to change the subject or bring up something irrelevant, like someone's past choice of candidate.

Interesting you perceive it as stupid. People often look down on things they don't understand.

Fail.

Yes. Deflection occurs when someone has been caught on something and then tries to change the subject or bring up something irrelevant, like someone's past choice of candidate.

Interesting you perceive it as stupid. People often look down on things they don't understand.
This is why its relevant dum dum. You're batting 0/1 or 0/2 and now your making ANOTHER prediction.
I think they already have. That's why Romney is going to win.

Obama didn't stop the Keystone, the Pub Governor of Nebraska did. Pubs and their ridiculous propaganda machine grandstanded on lies. When the new route is approved, it will go ahead. Idiots.

Obama didn't stop the Keystone, the Pub Governor of Nebraska did. Pubs and their ridiculous propaganda machine grandstanded on lies. When the new route is approved, it will go ahead. Idiots.

That's alright Franco. I understand New York will be offering therapy to the recovering lemmings of the left after Obozo eats it.

Fail.

I am more concerned that your kind of stupid is terminal.

Now Ryan lied about the time line of the closure, just as you have. The majority of the plant was closed during Bush's term. They shut down the last remaining operations in April of 2009, laying off the final 57 people. 57 people hardly represent a plant closing. That is just the final stage of mothballing a plant. The plant, as far as an economy impacting payroll, was closed in 2008.

Anybody that has worked in industry realizes this, and realizes that Ryan was playing fast and loose with the truth. Of course, for many of the GOP posters here, anything beyond a McD's job is outside of their ken.
So he didn't lie. It was open until April 2009......

It cannot be closed, unless at first, it was open.

Splitting hairs is just the uneducated, trying to sound important.
No it wasn't, it closed 2 days before Christmas 2008.

Last day at GM -- GazetteXtra
Last day at GM
Photos of workers during GM's last day of SUV production.

Tuesday, Dec. 23, 2008
LastGMBannerLine_t715.jpg

Photo by: Bill Olmsted
Before the black Tahoe is driven off the line, a banner signed by employees at the Janesville GM plant is unfurled and photos are taken.

People who can recognize the truth?
No. You are the reason things are bad. Your knee jerks every time someone uses the words "multi-national corporation" like a 14 year old at a vampire movie. Unaware of how the economy works, you are ripe pickings for any pol that tells you things that confirm your misinformation.
So rich people only got rich by screwing poor people. One person can have more money only if another person has less money. "Powerful interests" are conspiring to steal from you and only government stands in their way.
It is bullshit. It is false. And you fall for it like a teenybopper at a Beatles concert.

Shall we make another bet that you'll ignore? Everytime you make claims that you get called on, you disappear. Want to try again?

Translation: BINGO!

Yea Rabbi, he has nothing left. It's sad to see RDD so desperate. :badgrin:

The Lefties here are just going into melt down. They know Obama is doomed. The great performances at the RNC will just seal the fate.

this thread is a Republican lesson in futility. unreal.

Yes. We are teaching Democrats that it is futile to pretend Obama is anything but a failure as a president, and futile to pretend he has a ghost of a chance at getting re-elected.

It was not the Governments job to get involved with bailing out the private sector unions.

Do you know how many non GM jobs were saved with the bail-out?

Is that before or after you subtract all the jobs that were destroyed because money was used to bailout the UAW rather than invest in new companies or the expansion existing companies?

It was not the Governments job to get involved with bailing out the private sector unions.

Then why isn't Lyin' Ryan thanking the President for not interfering with plant?

Then why isn't Lyin' Ryan thanking the President for not interfering with plant?

WAS obama president at the time?
Why are you defending lying obama?

Forum List

Back