Matthew 12:40

I have never heard anyone mention that TNT uses Jewish Scripture idioms.
the expression, eat my flesh is an idiom used by Isaiah where teaching is compared to food that is good to eat.

Come! Every one who thirsts, come to the waters; And you who have no money come, buy and eat. Come, buy wine and milk Without money and without cost. "Why do you spend money for what is not bread, And your wages for what does not satisfy? Listen carefully to Me, and eat what is good, And delight yourself in abundance. "Incline your ear and come to Me.

Listen, that you may live
; Isaiah 55:2

"The spirit alone gives life; the flesh is of no avail; the words that I have spoken to you are both spirit and life."

the expression, eat my flesh is an idiom used by Isaiah where teaching is compared to food that is good to eat.

Come! Every one who thirsts, come to the waters; And you who have no money come, buy and eat. Come, buy wine and milk Without money and without cost. "Why do you spend money for what is not bread, And your wages for what does not satisfy? Listen carefully to Me, and eat what is good, And delight yourself in abundance. "Incline your ear and come to Me.

"The spirit alone gives life; the flesh is of no avail; the words that I have spoken to you are both spirit and life."
Try reading every verse of Isaiah before making incorrect assumptions.

lol... so you don't think that the idiom 'eat my flesh' spoken by Jesus according to the NT was similar and most likely inspired by him understanding the OT idiom in Isaiah, "listen carefully to me and eat what is good"?

okey dokey.

Heres something else that you don't know.

The preexisting idiom for the word of God in Jewish scripture , manna from heaven, bread, was transformed by Jesus into his flesh, a new idiom for the word of God.

lol... so you don't think that the idiom 'eat my flesh' spoken by Jesus according to the NT was similar and most likely inspired by him understanding the OT idiom in Isaiah, "listen carefully to me and eat what is good"?

okey dokey.

The preexisting idiom for the word of God in Jewish scripture , manna from heaven, bread, was transformed by Jesus into his flesh, a new idiom for the word of God.

You're thinking too much.
When you study scripture, you start from Chapter 1, Verse 1 and study each verse 1 at a time, in order.

okey dokey.

You're thinking too much.
When you study scripture, you start from Chapter 1, Verse 1 and study each verse 1 at a time, in order.
Tell me Hobe, why is reading Scripture in order funny?

Maybe an addition to the OP will make it a bit more clear.

1. The Messiah said that He would be three days and three nights in the "heart of the earth"

2. There are those who think that the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week with the resurrection taking place on the 1st day of the week.

3. Of those, there are some who think that the "heart of the earth" is referring to the tomb.

4. A 6th day of the week crucifixion/1st day of the week resurrection allows for only two nights to be involved.

5. To account for the lack of a 3rd night, some of those mentioned above say that the Messiah was employing common figure of speech/colloquial language.

6. I am simply asking anyone who thinks it was common, to provide examples to support that belief; i.e., instances where a daytime or a night time was forecast or said to be involved with an event when no part of the daytime and/or no part of the night time could have occurred.

tipofthespear,

re: "May I ask why it matters?"

When asked by the scribes and Pharisees for a sign of his authority, the Messiah said that the only sign would be His entombment for three days AND three nights. If He didn't spend that time in the tomb, then He would not qualify as the Messiah. So why do you think that it is not important as to the length of time?

Do you know of any writing that was asked for in the OP?

Ok, so you are trying to "discredit" Jesus based on the "particular reading" of a specific Scripture...........I read it as it is written.....both in the KJV and the CJB, and I have no problem understanding that Jesus was in the tomb for three days and nights......it may not have been a complete 72 hour time, but do not care, nor believe anyone would try to count it down to the very second, and if Jesus was resurrected ONE OR TWO seconds early, they would then PROCLAIM: AHA! SEE! HE IS NOT THE MESSIAH!

Don't forget when Jesus spoke of destroying the Temple, and He said He would raise it in three days..........and there are other references as well. Buy yourself a KJV, or other translation, and spend some time studying...........there is much to learn...
His tomb is empty. That's all that matters.

His tomb is empty. That's all that matters.
I bet nobody ever told you that the story you are told and spread and believe about the death and resurrection scene is actually a purposely plagiarized mythology of Baal predating the Jesus era.
Source of UNDENIABLE evidence:
The Marduk's Ordeal tablet as the mythology of Bel (Baal).
It sits in The British Museum and you can research it online.
This is From a stone tablet discovered in Nineveh, Assyria, and dated 700 B.C.
in which the Babylonian myth of Bel (Baal in
Hebrew) is described in a passion play in which:
(1) Bel is taken prisoner;
(2) Bel is tried in a great hall;
(3) Bel is smitten;
(4) Bel is led away to the Mount (a sacred grove on a
hilltop);
(5) with Bel are taken two malefactors, one of whom is
released;
(6) After Bel has gone to the Mount and is executed,
the city breaks into tumult;
(7) Bel's clothes are carried away;
(8.) Bel goes down into the Mount and disappears from
life;
(9) weeping women seek Bel at the Tomb;
(10) Bel is brought back to life.

Baal's son was the morning star, the Canaanite dying god mythology states the morning star must die to surpass (mask) his father Baal on the throne, hence the church using Baal cross and Dec 25th birthday while stating father (Baal) and son
(morning star-Rev 22:16) as one.

RWNJ,
re: "His tomb is empty. That's all that matters. "

That's an issue for a different topic. Perhaps you could start one.

Maybe an addition to the OP will make it a bit more clear.

1. The Messiah said that He would be three days and three nights in the "heart of the earth"

2. There are those who think that the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week with the resurrection taking place on the 1st day of the week.

3. Of those, there are some who think that the "heart of the earth" is referring to the tomb.

4. A 6th day of the week crucifixion/1st day of the week resurrection allows for only two nights to be involved.

5. To account for the lack of a 3rd night, some of those mentioned above say that the Messiah was employing common figure of speech/colloquial language.

6. I am simply asking anyone who thinks it was common, to provide examples to support that belief; i.e., instances where a daytime or a night time was forecast or said to be involved with an event when no part of the daytime and/or no part of the night time could have occurred.

Jesus said that the only sign they would be given was the sign of Jonah who spent three days in the belly of the beast. According to scripture Jesus spent three days and nights in the 'heart of the earth".

So now there are two metaphors describing the same thing, "belly of the beast" and "heart of the earth."

Obviously both terms have nothing to do with a tomb or a whale except in the way that Jesus spoke of Pharisaic beliefs as whitewashed tombs and we understand the expression, the belly of the beast.

It was then and still is now a Jewish belief that the Messiah would spend half his life in darkness.

Three days in "the heart of the earth" corresponds the the first three decades of Jesus' life when he was living in the wilderness among the wild beasts, which means that he was living in non Jewish areas (the wilderness) running around with Romans (the wild beasts) presumably doing what Romans do.

arguing over the hours in a day is way off the mark.

It was the ancient belief that the seat of consciousness was the organ of the heart. We now know that the seat of consciousness is the organ of the brain, the mind.

Knowing this, the figurative term "heart of the earth" actually means "the mind of the earth", or., worldly thinking...

How many days and nights have you been in this tomb?

Last edited:
hobelim,
re: "Knowing this, the figurative term 'heart of the earth' actually means the mind of the earth, or., worldly thinking..."

BTW, are you suggesting that the Messiah spent 3 daytimes and 3 night times in worldly thinking?

hobelim,
re: "Knowing this, the figurative term 'heart of the earth' actually means the mind of the earth, or., worldly thinking..."

BTW, are you suggesting that the Messiah spent 3 daytimes and 3 night times in worldly thinking?

Three decades.... Jesus didn't say a single nutty word in public until he was about 30 years old. Heaven was not "opened to him" until after the baptism of John which was done as a token of repentance for the forgiveness of sins.

if you don't believe me, you can look it up.

Last edited:
hobelim,

Now I know you're just messing with me.

No I am not messing with you.

The missing 18 years of Jesus' life is like the missing 18 minutes of the Nixon tapes...When Jesus was "in the wilderness living among the wild beasts" he was, like Jonah, in the belly of the beast.

When Jesus emerged from the baptismal waters "heaven was opened to him". Thats when he left "the heart of the earth" and began to ascend bodily into heaven, day by day, until he was 'taken up", a euphemism for him being killed.

Last edited:
hobelim,
re: "No I am not messing with you."

Well let's see:

The one and only purpose of this topic is to see examples from the 1st century or before which show that it was common to forecast or say that a daytime or a night time would be involved with an event when no part of the daytime or no part of the night time could occur.

Your last comment was - "The missing 18 years of Jesus' life is like the missing 18 minutes of the Nixon tapes...When Jesus emerged from the baptismal waters the heavens were opened up to him. Thats when he left the heart of the earth and began to ascend bodily into heaven, day by day, until he was 'taken up", a euphemism for him being killed."

That sure seems to me like that is what you're doing. What else would you call it?

Forum List

Back