Matthew 12:40

Aletheia4u,

I don't see where your comments provide examples which show that it was common to forecast or say that a daytime or a night time would be involved with an event when no part of a daytime could occur or when no part of a night time could occur. What do you have in mind?
In the beginning God said that there was complete darkness, night. And then God said "let there be light" And the light was called day. And when the sunset came, he considered it to be the next cycle or day. And that is the pattern or custom that the Jews had followed. That the evening was considered as the next day.
And God had them to keep track of the Sabbaths to count the cycles or the days. That was their clock and calendar that keep records from the beginning.
The Jews didn't know how the days worked. They didn't know about the solar system. They've thought that everything just hovered over the land.
And so God just had them to followed his commands without explaining to them the reason why.
But from what I learned from reading the scriptures. That God wiped out their memories during the time of the tower. which it explains why ancient ruins have different nations artifacts. Like one of the Spanish explorer told the natives of South America. "Who had built this great civilization" Knowingly that it couldn't have been built by them. They responded, "They've not known who built it. that it was there before they've came." And it says after the Tower, they've wandered to the four corners of the earth. And started their own tribes.
But after the tower. The story just starts off that Abraham's ascendants roamed and settled in the land of Ur.
And Hebrew actually means wanderers. But vnot the name of a tribe, but describing a social status like how we will say, nomads.

John 20
Early on the first day of the week, while it was still dark, Mary Magdalene went to the tomb and saw that the stone have been removed from the entrance.

ob 42:3
You asked, ‘Who is this that obscures my plans without knowledge?’ Surely I spoke of things I did not understand, things too wonderful for me to know.

I don't think you're going to get a definitive answer as to which day of the week Jesus was crucified. IIRC, my elementary school Catholicism taught me as Friday and he rose again on the third day Sunday; Catholics have Good Friday and Easter Sunday. A part of a day is counted as a whole day.

"And when evening had come, since it was the day of Preparation, that is, the day before the Sabbath," Mark 15:42 backs it up as the Sabbath is Saturday.

However, I'm Christian since 2012. I don't believe in Catholicism.

What is interesting is some scholars think Jesus was crucified on Wednesday and rose on Sunday. It's complex for me to explain it as it is based on the Jewish calendar and they consider there were two Sabbaths during the Passover week. It goes something like Jesus was buried in the evening of Wednesday which meant it became Thursday on the Jewish Calendar. Jewish Thursday to Jewish Sunday could be counted as three days and three nights.
In the scripture it tells us what was happening during the time of the crucifixion. They were celebrating the Passover, which Jesus was celebrating with His disciples. Where Judas dipped in the bowl at the same time when Jesus dipped into the bowl. The Passover started on Thursday evening at sunset. And the Israelites must devour all of the Passover lamb before the rooster crows. And what they have not finished, must be tossed into the fire. But there were some who gave the leftovers to the non-Jews like the Romans, outside of the gate to finished the rest of it.
The Passover celebration last until sunset, the time when Jesus gave up His spirit. And the Jews that were in the crowd went home to performed the traditional weekly The weekly Sabbath started on Friday at sunset. Which the weekly Sabbath, that they are to stayed in doors during that period, until Saturday at sunset. They are not allowed to glean the fields during that sabbath, which that is why the Pharisees were upset at Jesus' disciples for gleaning the wheat field for food. But then the celebration of the First Fruit started after the weekly Sabbath. Which it was the day that Jesus was born, and born again on that very same day. The day when Mary Magdalene went to the tomb, on a Sunday before the sunrise.
And it says in the scriptures that it was the High Sabbath, which that Sabbath comes around every 350 years. The Hebrews were freed from Egypt right after the Passover during a High Sabbath, the seventh Jubilee,. That is why it was very important to God for them to celebrate it. And after they had left Egypt, They roamed in the desert for 10 years, and then they've stayed in the wilderness for another forty years. Which in total amount of years it was 400 years in a strange land that didn't belonged to them.
And it was a High Sabbath when the Hebrews arrived in Egypt. Which they weren't allowed to do any labor for seven years, like when they've left Egypt. Pharaoh wasn't going to let the Hebrews to celebrate by them not working for seven years.

John 20:15
He asked her, “Woman, why are you crying? Who is it you are looking for?” Thinking he was the gardener, she said, “Sir, if you have carried him away, tell me where you have put him, and I will get him.”

John 15:1
“I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener.

Genesis 15:13
Then the Lord said to him, “Know for certain that for four hundred years your descendants will be strangers in a country not their own and that they will be enslaved and mistreated there.

I'm not Jewish and am not familiar with the Jewish calendar and Passover week. The Jewish day may start on on the previous evening. Our Gregorian (Catholic) calendar of Wednesday evening would become Jewish Thursday. Maybe a Jewish person could explain which is what I was hoping for.

james bond,
re: "I don't think you're going to get a definitive answer as to which day of the week Jesus was crucified."

That would be an issue for a different topic.

This topic isn't very important to Christianity unless you're saying there is some contradiction. It may be important to Judaism, but I have no idea. AFAIK, there isn't a definitive answer from the scholars.

Aletheia4u,

I don't see where your comments provide examples which show that it was common to forecast or say that a daytime or a night time would be involved with an event when no part of a daytime could occur or when no part of a night time could occur. What do you have in mind?
In the beginning God said that there was complete darkness, night. And then God said "let there be light" And the light was called day. And when the sunset came, he considered it to be the next cycle or day. And that is the pattern or custom that the Jews had followed. That the evening was considered as the next day.
And God had them to keep track of the Sabbaths to count the cycles or the days. That was their clock and calendar that keep records from the beginning.
The Jews didn't know how the days worked. They didn't know about the solar system. They've thought that everything just hovered over the land.
And so God just had them to followed his commands without explaining to them the reason why.
But from what I learned from reading the scriptures. That God wiped out their memories during the time of the tower. which it explains why ancient ruins have different nations artifacts. Like one of the Spanish explorer told the natives of South America. "Who had built this great civilization" Knowingly that it couldn't have been built by them. They responded, "They've not known who built it. that it was there before they've came." And it says after the Tower, they've wandered to the four corners of the earth. And started their own tribes.
But after the tower. The story just starts off that Abraham's ascendants roamed and settled in the land of Ur.
And Hebrew actually means wanderers. But vnot the name of a tribe, but describing a social status like how we will say, nomads.

John 20
Early on the first day of the week, while it was still dark, Mary Magdalene went to the tomb and saw that the stone have been removed from the entrance.

You asked, ‘Who is this that obscures my plans without knowledge?’ Surely I spoke of things I did not understand, things too wonderful for me to know.

I'm glad you brought up what the others such as Mary Magdalene were doing. They had to do a lot in terms of taking the body down, treating it, wrapping it, and the rest that the Bible describes. They would need some time to do so. It could be as short as 2.5 days (counted as three) and three nights. We also read that a Sabbath day had come. Now, if it wasn't Passover, then it would be easier to figure out but there were two Sabbaths that week.

Aletheia4u,

John 20

I'm glad you brought up what the others such as Mary Magdalene were doing. They had to do a lot in terms of taking the body down, treating it, wrapping it, and the rest that the Bible describes. They would need some time to do so. It could be as short as 2.5 days (counted as three) and three nights. We also read that a Sabbath day had come. Now, if it wasn't Passover, then it would be easier to figure out but there were two Sabbaths that week.
It was forbidden for the Jews to touch a dead corpse, especially a woman . Only a certain priest that are allowed to carefully carried the body to the tomb without touching the corpse. They had used long sheets to bring down the body and carried the body to the tomb. But after handling the corpse. The priest have to stay away from others for twenty-four hours, or until the next week in the evening, because they are considered as being unclean until seven evenings. .
And it was Nicodemus that was the one who handled Jesus' body and prepared the tomb for Him. But when they've known someone is about to die. They will rubbed on that person with sweet smelling fragrance oils all over their body while they are alive. But Mary went back to pray over the body and smudged, burned incest in the tomb while she prays over the body. But they will not touch the corpse.

And the Passover, and the seven days of unleavened bread and the First Fruit offering are feast days and which one person said they are seasons which it means cycles. And the seventh cycle is the Sabbath. And there were many cycles that had collided that day or during that time. And Jesus had fulfilled them all.
They had used feast days to observed the Sabbaths. And on every Jubilee, every fifty years. in that year, they are to forgive all debts and are not allowed to work for a year. But when on the seventh Jubilee, that they are not allowed to work for seven years, which they are suppose to rest on those days and keep it holy is to forgive debts and which slaves were those who were paying off their or someone's else debts. . But the Jews stopped celebrating these Sabbaths after Christ's death.

And the fifty days after the resurrections is symbolic for the times that the Lord visited the earth. It is the Jubilee. But on the seventh cycle, that is when he makes judgement.

Numbers 19:11
“Whoever touches a human corpse will be unclean for seven days.

Genesis 29:18
Jacob was in love with Rachel and said, “I’ll work for you seven years in return for your younger daughter Rachel.”

John 20:17
Jesus said, “Do not hold on to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father. Go instead to my brothers and tell them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’”

Acts 10:15
The voice spoke to him a second time, “Do not call anything impure that God has made clean.”

Picaro,
re: "Already answered."

Please provide the number of your post which answers my question to you in post number 200.

james bond,
re: "This topic isn't very important to Christianity unless you're saying there is some contradiction."

I'm not. I'm simply asking anyone who may believe the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week, and who thinks the "heart of earth" refers to the tomb, and who tries to explain the missing night by saying that the Messiah was using common figure of speech or colloquial language of the period, to provide examples which show that it was common to forecast or say that a daytime or a night time would be involved with an event when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could occur.

Jesus rose on the third night, not the 'third day'. otherwise there would be no point in the 'three days and three nights', it would be 'two nights' instead. 'Sunday' becomes the day of resurrection when one moves from a lunar to a solar calendar most used by gentiles and later scholars, though there is no real translation when one knows the Sanhedrin personally determined when new months started and they used a 'year' of 354 days, if anybody needs more irrelevant confusions to quibble over. This was why Passovers for diaspora Jews ran a day longer than those in Jerusalem and Judah. Modern Israel uses the 7 day Passover.

Picaro,
In your post #199 you said that I don't know what I'm asking.

In my post #200 I asked why you said that.

I would still like to know your reason for making that statement.

Aletheia4u,

So far all your comments deal with issues for different topics.

Someone new looking in may know of examples.
How to count to three in Hebrew: For how long was Jesus dead? | The Cripplegate

Let’s just fess up: Jesus was not in the tomb three days and three nights. So what gives?

Now take off your engineer’s cap and put on your yarmulke. If you were a 1st century Jew and heard someone utter the phrase “three days and three nights” you would never expect precisely seventy-two hours. Remember that you would have no convenient, wrist-mounted method of measuring hours after sunset anyway.
snip
My point is that we ought not hold Jesus and his contemporaries to a 21st century vernacular standard.

In those days, in that culture, it was common practice to use “three days and three nights” as argot referring to any period longer than two days and shorter than four. Let me prove it to you…

Penelope,
re: "Let me prove it to you..."

That's all I'm asking, i.e., 2 or more examples to prove that it was common to forecast or say that a daytime or a night time would be involved with an event when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could occur.

Penelope,
re: "Let me prove it to you..."

That's all I'm asking, i.e., 2 or more examples to prove that it was common to forecast or say that a daytime or a night time would be involved with an event when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could occur.

Its about time you get over it.
This guy writing is:
Clint Archer is the pastor of Hillcrest Baptist Church, South Africa. He holds MDiv, ThM, and DMin degrees from The Master's Seminary. When he's not preaching, writing, blogging, or globetrotting, Clint likes to date his wife, wrestle with his three kids, and ride his motorcycle.
Things That Go Bump in the Church: Explaining the Bible's Most Misunderstood ... - Mike Abendroth, Clint Archer, Byron Yawn - Google Books

Forum List

Back