Made in God’s image. Yuk. Not me thanks.

he fell from grace, man bore God's image. Since reconciliation on the Cross, man bears His image again
How God's image depends on grace? What does 'created in God's image' mean then, according to your view?
All through the Old Testament, after the Garden of Eden, when the "holy people" spent their time engaged in debauchery, drunkenness, incest, violence, adultery, the secret arts, and all the rest - all through their history plagued with the fruits of idolatry, ultimately resulting in their divorce from God - do you think they were bearing God's image?
I think that 'in God's image' means the ability to create and having mind.

You are not pleased with 'holy people' of the past. Okay. Are there 'holy people' now who dont engage in all those sins you mentioned?
After all the adulteries of the faithless one, Israel, God finally cut her loose (Jer 3:8).

Here's a bit of history for you on the Jewish Age:

Though a valiant effort on the part of the chosen, the Age of the Law and the Prophets accounted for nothing. Priests sacrificed animal after animal on the altar, the blood of each availing little more than temporary absolution. Prophets uttered prophecy after prophecy purportedly from God, the veracity of each by law under scrutiny. For her generations of this repetition and uncertainty, Israel habitually wandered, and so received her certificate of divorce from God in the eighth century BC when Assyria conquered her. God, however, refused to forget His people, and Cyrus the Great, the Persian who defeated Babylon, commissioned the exiles to return to Judah and Benjamin in the southern territory of Judea to restore their temple and priestly order. But then Judea would receive her divorce certificate in the first century AD when Rome would conquer her, and the nation would never return to her first love; Israel would utterly and forever forfeit any matrimonial connection to her Creator.

The holy people were idolatrous, adulterous sinners, not unlike their pagan neighbors. A new holy people - the Christians - would be the ones to bear fruit for God and inherit the kingdom (Mt 21:43). The holy people now do not worship idols. They bear God's image.
Okay, let's put the Jews aside for a while. I repeat once again - what does 'created in God's image' mean according to your view? Can you answer my question directly and using only one statement?
In the garden, God fellowshipped with man; through the garden, He was glorified on the earth. In the kingdom, which includes the church, God again fellowships with man; through the kingdom, He again is glorified on the earth.
There is no man in the garden. We are on the point of only creating this man. Somewhere between God saying 'Let's make him in our image' and actually creating the man. Do you get this?

he fell from grace, man bore God's image. Since reconciliation on the Cross, man bears His image again
How God's image depends on grace? What does 'created in God's image' mean then, according to your view?
All through the Old Testament, after the Garden of Eden, when the "holy people" spent their time engaged in debauchery, drunkenness, incest, violence, adultery, the secret arts, and all the rest - all through their history plagued with the fruits of idolatry, ultimately resulting in their divorce from God - do you think they were bearing God's image?

You are not pleased with 'holy people' of the past. Okay. Are there 'holy people' now who dont engage in all those sins you mentioned?
After all the adulteries of the faithless one, Israel, God finally cut her loose (Jer 3:8).

Though a valiant effort on the part of the chosen, the Age of the Law and the Prophets accounted for nothing. Priests sacrificed animal after animal on the altar, the blood of each availing little more than temporary absolution. Prophets uttered prophecy after prophecy purportedly from God, the veracity of each by law under scrutiny. For her generations of this repetition and uncertainty, Israel habitually wandered, and so received her certificate of divorce from God in the eighth century BC when Assyria conquered her. God, however, refused to forget His people, and Cyrus the Great, the Persian who defeated Babylon, commissioned the exiles to return to Judah and Benjamin in the southern territory of Judea to restore their temple and priestly order. But then Judea would receive her divorce certificate in the first century AD when Rome would conquer her, and the nation would never return to her first love; Israel would utterly and forever forfeit any matrimonial connection to her Creator.

The holy people were idolatrous, adulterous sinners, not unlike their pagan neighbors. A new holy people - the Christians - would be the ones to bear fruit for God and inherit the kingdom (Mt 21:43). The holy people now do not worship idols. They bear God's image.
Okay, let's put the Jews aside for a while. I repeat once again - what does 'created in God's image' mean according to your view? Can you answer my question directly and using only one statement?
In the garden, God fellowshipped with man; through the garden, He was glorified on the earth. In the kingdom, which includes the church, God again fellowships with man; through the kingdom, He again is glorified on the earth.
There is no man in the garden. We are on the point of only creating this man. Somewhere between God saying 'Let's make him in our image' and actually creating the man. Do you get this?

I know you're posting to someone else but I just wanted to chime in here with a different perspective. I wrote a blog post on the topic of dominion, and within that post one of the things I brought up was the topic of what it means to be made in the image of God.

This might be controversial, but when you look at the text, it makes sense, in my view.

I'll post an excerpt, and then a link to the post.

What does it mean to be made in the image of God? There are different views on this, and I believe that just as there is a collective misunderstanding on dominion, there is also a misunderstanding on what it means to be made in the image of God. I’m not going to go through all of the interpretations, but one of the common interpretations is that unlike the rest of creation, humans were created with certain characteristics of God. We are rational, creative beings with the ability to understand right from wrong. The problem with this interpretation is that angels also have those attributes, and even some animals can display rationality and creativity. But the Bible does not say that any other beings were made in the image of God. “Imago Dei” is unique to human beings. So what is it? I believe that being made in God’s image is not ontological or biological, it has to do with a unique calling, or purpose. God’s intent was for us to be His image-bearers or representatives on this earth. We were to be His stewards and caretakers of creation.​

I know you're posting to someone else but I just wanted to chime in here with a different perspective. I wrote a blog post on the topic of dominion, and within that post one of the things I brought up was the topic of what it means to be made in the image of God.

This might be controversial, but when you look at the text, it makes sense, in my view.

What does it mean to be made in the image of God? There are different views on this, and I believe that just as there is a collective misunderstanding on dominion, there is also a misunderstanding on what it means to be made in the image of God. I’m not going to go through all of the interpretations, but one of the common interpretations is that unlike the rest of creation, humans were created with certain characteristics of God. We are rational, creative beings with the ability to understand right from wrong. The problem with this interpretation is that angels also have those attributes, and even some animals can display rationality and creativity. But the Bible does not say that any other beings were made in the image of God. “Imago Dei” is unique to human beings. So what is it? I believe that being made in God’s image is not ontological or biological, it has to do with a unique calling, or purpose. God’s intent was for us to be His image-bearers or representatives on this earth. We were to be His stewards and caretakers of creation.​

God’s intent was for us to be His image-bearers or representatives on this earth. We were to be His stewards and caretakers of creation.
odd, isn't that what the christian bible already claims - do you think maybe covid 19 has not yet received the memo.

and, that make's a lot of sense for a religion that worships a messiah that is yet to return ... in the mean time what would be your message to the flock, wait for jesus and they will tell you what to do.

I might wonder though what the image would be for the spiritual content of our physiology might be.

Yahweh, it is written, created us in his image.

He is described as a vile genocidal and infanticidal god, a demiurge to us Gnostics Christians, and is responsible for a religion that has become homophobic and misogynous and who grew Christianity by inquisitions and murder.

This is not surprising given that so many of Christianity’s moral tenets are immoral. Christianity lacks moral tenets with which to convert. It takes pressure and force to believe the weird Christian take on the otherwise decent Jewish beginnings of their religion and god. Christians should have usurped some decent god as without Midrash, Yahweh is more like an evil Satan than a good god.

If you think you are created in Yahweh’s image, and able to do his evil and good deeds, are you happy about it?

If you do not think you are up to Yahweh’s evil ways, are you happy about it?

Regards
DL
Before he fell from grace, man bore God's image. Since reconciliation on the Cross, man bears His image again.

If you wish not to be a part of that, that's your prerogative.

He is described as a vile genocidal and infanticidal god, a demiurge to us Gnostics Christians, and is responsible for a religion that has become homophobic and misogynous and who grew Christianity by inquisitions and murder.

This is not surprising given that so many of Christianity’s moral tenets are immoral. Christianity lacks moral tenets with which to convert. It takes pressure and force to believe the weird Christian take on the otherwise decent Jewish beginnings of their religion and god. Christians should have usurped some decent god as without Midrash, Yahweh is more like an evil Satan than a good god.

If you think you are created in Yahweh’s image, and able to do his evil and good deeds, are you happy about it?

Regards
DL
Before he fell from grace, man bore God's image. Since reconciliation on the Cross, man bears His image again.

It is a lie, first and foremost because, like it or not, having another innocent person suffer or die for the wrongs you have done, --- so that you might escape responsibility for having done them, --- is immoral. To abdicate your personal responsibility for your actions or use a scapegoat is immoral.
Like orthodox Christians, you seem to think Christ's purpose for coming was to die. And not only to die, but to die so people can go to heaven. You attack an escapist theology, a false theology. You attack windmills. You waste your time.

While you ignore the immoral aspects.

You are correct in that I waste my time with you, given that you cannot follow a post that deals with morals.

Regards
DL
One thing is certain: no increase of virtue or morality in the world came from Gnostic Christians.

You must see an increase of virtue in your genocidal god loving religion using their inquisitions against us.

Be proud of your murderous heritage and fascist religion.

Regards
DL

Your post (including your blog) is very interesting, and there you rise two interesting issues - the one discussed above, and about vegetarians.

About the 'image' your point coincides with mine for the main part, I think. The main objection is I don't think that God created man to be his steward on the earth or something like that. I think that God is so self-sufficient that he doesn't need any stewards or creations or whatever we see and feel. Why he created the world? I dont know. And I dont think that man will be able to comprehend it due to their limited logic. It is one of the points that we should just accept it as it is.

About vegetarians. I understand your reasoning and it sounds good. But there is another point. Throughout the OT you won't find any prohibition to eat the meat as a whole (as far as I am aware). God specifically allowed this after Noah. The Mosaic law specifies what animals are prohibited for food (I think this implies that the other are allowed).

Yes, it may well be that 'ideal society' in the future will be all vegetarian. But for now there are no such requirements. If we take into consideration that God is omniscient, then we should admit that he allowed this on purpose for the humanity's development, if it may be called that.

Your post (including your blog) is very interesting, and there you rise two interesting issues - the one discussed above, and about vegetarians.

About the 'image' your point coincides with mine for the main part, I think. The main objection is I don't think that God created man to be his steward on the earth or something like that. I think that God is so self-sufficient that he doesn't need any stewards or creations or whatever we see and feel. Why he created the world? I dont know. And I dont think that man will be able to comprehend it due to their limited logic. It is one of the points that we should just accept it as it is.

About vegetarians. I understand your reasoning and it sounds good. But there is another point. Throughout the OT you won't find any prohibition to eat the meat as a whole (as far as I am aware). God specifically allowed this after Noah. The Mosaic law specifies what animals are prohibited for food (I think this implies that the other are allowed).

Yes, it may well be that 'ideal society' in the future will be all vegetarian. But for now there are no such requirements. If we take into consideration that God is omniscient, then we should admit that he allowed this on purpose for the humanity's development, if it may be called that.

Thanks for reading and for your thoughts. I'm about to head out the door in a few minutes, so I don't want to reply right now, or it will be rushed. I'll try to get back to this later today or tonight.

Regards
DL

Regards
DL

You seem to not know of a few quotes that Jesus taught.

Let me refresh your memory and perhaps we can chat.

On Jesus dying for you.

It takes quite an inflated ego to think a god would actually die for you, after condemning you unjustly in the first place.

You have swallowed a lie and don’t care how evil you make Jesus to keep your feel good get out of hell free card.

It is a lie, first and foremost because, like it or not, having another innocent person suffer or die for the wrongs you have done, --- so that you might escape responsibility for having done them, --- is immoral. To abdicate your personal responsibility for your actions or use a scapegoat is immoral.

You also have to ignore what Jesus, as a Jewish Rabbi, would have taught his people.

Ezekiel 18:20 The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.

Deuteronomy 24:16 (ESV) "Fathers shall not be put to death because of their children, nor shall children be put to death because of their fathers. Each one shall be put to death for his own sin.

Psa 49;7 None of them can by any means redeem his brother, nor give to God a ransom for him:

There is no way that you would teach your children to use a scapegoat to escape their just punishments and here you are doing just that.

Jesus is just a smidge less immoral than his demiurge genocidal father, and here you are trying to put him as low in moral fiber as Yahweh.

Regards
DL
Imagine, all religions around the world revere the man Jesus as a man from God EXCETP satanists and Greatestlam.

Well............and Jews.........cuz.............you know.

I'm back, so I wanted to get back to your post. I agree that God is self-sufficient, but just because God doesn't need something doesn't mean that God doesn't want something. What you're saying can also apply to the creation of humankind in the first place. God didn't need to create us, but I think it's safe to say that God wanted to.

And since God created us, as well as the animals, apparently God wanted to give us certain responsibilities, or roles. One of those responsibilities is having dominion over the animals, but contrary to what many people believe, that dominion does not mean selfish exploitation or despotism. It means dominion in the likeness of God, and we can see that by looking at Genesis 1:26, where those two concepts are in the same sentence, side by side.

Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, according to our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.”​

Genesis 1:26​

To paraphrase a quote by someone else, our dominion is not one of exploitative subjugation, but responsible stewardship [over the rest of creation] characterized by compassion, mercy and a loving concern for its flourishing, in the same way that God exercises His dominion over us.

As for what you said about vegetarianism... I don’t want to get too off topic here, but none of those things negate the fact that flesh eating was not part of God’s original design, and it was not God’s intent for humankind. It still isn’t, in my opinion.

There are many things that God allows that are not what He wants. Divorce, for example. Because of our sin and our hardness of heart, God allows divorce, but that doesn’t mean its what He wants.

To see what God’s perfect or heavenly will is, all we have to do is look at either the pre-fall world (God’s ideal) or at heaven and the new earth. In the new earth and heaven, there will be no more death, suffering, exploitation, etc.

God’s perfect will is peace and harmony among all creation, not exploitation, suffering, enslavement, violence and death.

We do have free will, yes, but at the same time, Christians are encouraged to not only aim high, but aim for God’s perfect will (Matt 5:48, 1 Peter 1:16, 2 Cor 13:11, Matt 6:10)…. as opposed to practices that came about as a result of sin in this fallen world.

OK, I better get off this soap box now. I wasn't even intending to get into this topic, but because the topic of being made in God's image came up, it reminded me of my blog post and I just wanted to share my perspective on it, since it's a bit different than how most people interpret being made in God's image. Thanks again for reading the post and sharing your thoughts.

Regards
DL

Regards
DL

On Jesus dying for you.

It takes quite an inflated ego to think a god would actually die for you, after condemning you unjustly in the first place.

You have swallowed a lie and don’t care how evil you make Jesus to keep your feel good get out of hell free card.

You also have to ignore what Jesus, as a Jewish Rabbi, would have taught his people.

Ezekiel 18:20 The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.

Deuteronomy 24:16 (ESV) "Fathers shall not be put to death because of their children, nor shall children be put to death because of their fathers. Each one shall be put to death for his own sin.

Psa 49;7 None of them can by any means redeem his brother, nor give to God a ransom for him:

There is no way that you would teach your children to use a scapegoat to escape their just punishments and here you are doing just that.

Jesus is just a smidge less immoral than his demiurge genocidal father, and here you are trying to put him as low in moral fiber as Yahweh.

Regards
DL
Imagine, all religions around the world revere the man Jesus as a man from God EXCETP satanists and Greatestlam.

I can only imagine it because it is not true.

I use quotes from one of the Jesus' that scriptures show. The esoteric mystic ones.

You like the immoral Jesus who would ask you to abdicate your responsibility for your sins, while Gnostic Christians do the right thing and step up to our responsibilities.

Regards
DL

For someone that doesn't believe in any God, the OP sure seems to hate what doesn't exist.
How about just letting folks believe what they want as we puny humans really don't have a clue either way? :dunno:
1. but the '''believers'' do the same--but they go further and bad mouth ''non-believers '''
2, you could say the same thing about EVERY subject and thread posted on USMB
a. this is a discussion forum??!!!
3. hate???!!! hahahahahahhaha where?

For someone that doesn't believe in any God, the OP sure seems to hate what doesn't exist.
How about just letting folks believe what they want as we puny humans really don't have a clue either way? :dunno:
are you joking???
....the believers go to our HOMES!!!!!!! house to house trying to force their beliefs on people

How about just letting folks believe what they want as we puny humans really don't have a clue either way?

Regards
DL

Regards
DL

On Jesus dying for you.

Regards
DL

I use quotes from one of the Jesus' that scriptures show. The esoteric mystic ones.

You like the immoral Jesus who would ask you to abdicate your responsibility for your sins, while Gnostic Christians do the right thing and step up to our responsibilities.

Regards
DL
Jesus did not preach any such thing.

John 5:14
Later Jesus found him at the temple and said to him, "See, you are well again. Stop sinning or something worse may happen to you."

So essentially your entire premise is based upon a lie.

Regards
DL
All of the Abrahamic religions (Judaism, Christianity and Islam) believe that we humans are made in their deity's image. Those who wrote the original texts, no doubt decided this, based upon the fact that our species is the highest form of life on the planet (and that isn't saying much) and thus, due to our own inflated egos, we must certainly look like the creator.
However, as these three religions only make up a portion of the religions being practiced, many religions don't have we mere humans as looking like a deity. One of the Hindu's main gods is Ganesha, a pot-bellied elephant. The king of their gods is, Indra, a four-armed male. Buddhism, while lumped with religions, is more a philosophy, without the need of a deity, although people do bring their own religion into it.
But, do we look like a deity? If there were a deity, I suspect that it would simply be a force, with no form, as we can't see it.
My personal belief, is that there are no deities.

Regards
DL
All of the Abrahamic religions (Judaism, Christianity and Islam) believe that we humans are made in their deity's image. Those who wrote the original texts, no doubt decided this, based upon the fact that our species is the highest form of life on the planet (and that isn't saying much) and thus, due to our own inflated egos, we must certainly look like the creator.
However, as these three religions only make up a portion of the religions being practiced, many religions don't have we mere humans as looking like a deity. One of the Hindu's main gods is Ganesha, a pot-bellied elephant. The king of their gods is, Indra, a four-armed male. Buddhism, while lumped with religions, is more a philosophy, without the need of a deity, although people do bring their own religion into it.
But, do we look like a deity? If there were a deity, I suspect that it would simply be a force, with no form, as we can't see it.
Saying that the created was made in the image of the creator is just kinda common sense.

I mean really, anytime YOU create something that creation is a reflection about you. It tells us what you desire, what your needs may be, the magnitude of your creativity, etc.

Regards
DL

Regards
DL

On Jesus dying for you.

Regards
DL

Regards
DL
Jesus did not preach any such thing.

John 5:14
Later Jesus found him at the temple and said to him, "See, you are well again. Stop sinning or something worse may happen to you."

So essentially your entire premise is based upon a lie.

Nice argument or apology.

Oh wait, you did not put one.

Yes he did.

You have to accept substitutional punishment and kiss Satan's ass to get into heaven, as only a satanic mind would ask people to abdicate their responsibilities for their own sins.

Regards
DL

Regards
DL
Saying that the created was made in the image of the creator is just kinda common sense.

I mean really, anytime YOU create something that creation is a reflection about you. It tells us what you desire, what your needs may be, the magnitude of your creativity, etc.
The most likely scenario, is human ego.

??

If all is created in god's image, and he created everything, that everything is in god's image, including every germ and virus that afflicts man.

Yahweh looks like all the parasites that afflict us.

Nice way for you to think of god.

Regards
DL

Forum List

Back