CDZ Mad Men: Inside the Men's Rights Movement—and the Army of Misogynists and Trolls It Spawned

Did you read the article?

No, I don't usually read articles or watch Youtubes in forum posts --- I am interested in what posters think, and discussion of their ideas. when I am interested in reading articles, I can find them in the magazines and sites I follow. I'd be spending a lot of time reading and watching propaganda if I clicked on many links in posts.

I did read your points more than once, but could not figure out whose side you are on, men's or women's.

You should have read the article.

(and demand that online anonymity end).

Now THAT is an interesting issue. I guess I'm for it......but it would hit women harder than men in that we would be more open to attack spilling over into reallife, and stalkers. It would primarily hit men not with throwaway comments but with the real murder threats that so many indulge in; also, employers are sure to check up on whether they are crazies by tracking what they say on the Internet, and that would suppress some abusive speech.

I think it's time to start bringing government and law and order to this Wild West Internet.

I read this one buy the Author, it was pretty good.

The Way We Never Were
This myth-shattering examination of two centuries of American family life banishes the misconceptions about the past that cloud current debate about "family values." "Leave It to Beaver" was not a documentary, Stephanie Coontz points out; neither the 1950s nor any other moment from our past presents workable models of how to conduct our personal lives today. Without minimizing the serious new problems in American families, Coontz warns that a consoling nostalgia for a largely mythical past of "traditional values" is a trap that can only cripple our capacity to solve today's problems. From "a man's home was his castle" to "traditional families never asked for a handout," this provocative book explodes cherished illusions about the past. Organized around a series of myths and half-truths that burden modern families, the book sheds new light on such contemporary concerns as parenting, privacy, love, the division of labor along gender lines, the black family, feminism, and sexual practice. Fascinating facts abound: In the nineteenth century, the age of sexual consent in some states was nine or ten, and alcoholism and drug abuse were more rampant than today ... Teenage childbearing peaked in the fabulous family-oriented 1950s ... Marriages in pioneer days lasted a shorter time than they do now. Placing current family dilemmas in the context of far-reaching economic, political, and demographic changes, The Way We Never Were shows that people have not suddenly and inexplicably "gone bad" and points to ways that we can help families do better. Seeing our own family pains as part of a larger social predicament means that we can stop the cycle of guilt or blame and face the real issues constructively, Coontz writes. The historical evidence reveals that families have always been in flux and often in crisis, and that families have been most successful wherever they have built meaningful networks beyond their own boundaries

The Way We Never Were - Author Stephanie Coontz

The Way We Never Were
This myth-shattering examination of two centuries of American family life banishes the misconceptions about the past that cloud current debate about "family values." "Leave It to Beaver" was not a documentary, Stephanie Coontz points out; neither the 1950s nor any other moment from our past presents workable models of how to conduct our personal lives today. Without minimizing the serious new problems in American families, Coontz warns that a consoling nostalgia for a largely mythical past of "traditional values" is a trap that can only cripple our capacity to solve today's problems. From "a man's home was his castle" to "traditional families never asked for a handout," this provocative book explodes cherished illusions about the past. Organized around a series of myths and half-truths that burden modern families, the book sheds new light on such contemporary concerns as parenting, privacy, love, the division of labor along gender lines, the black family, feminism, and sexual practice. Fascinating facts abound: In the nineteenth century, the age of sexual consent in some states was nine or ten, and alcoholism and drug abuse were more rampant than today ... Teenage childbearing peaked in the fabulous family-oriented 1950s ... Marriages in pioneer days lasted a shorter time than they do now. Placing current family dilemmas in the context of far-reaching economic, political, and demographic changes, The Way We Never Were shows that people have not suddenly and inexplicably "gone bad" and points to ways that we can help families do better. Seeing our own family pains as part of a larger social predicament means that we can stop the cycle of guilt or blame and face the real issues constructively, Coontz writes. The historical evidence reveals that families have always been in flux and often in crisis, and that families have been most successful wherever they have built meaningful networks beyond their own boundaries

She's great.

The Way We Never Were

She's great.

It was a great book.

I would read the second one you posted but I have too much stuff I am reading right now and my brain wants to rest.

In regards to your post, I think we should have more talks about the issues men face. About a year ago I posted about the Macho Paradox and nobody was really interested The Macho Paradox Jackson Katz

The Professor also made a documentary about some of the issues men face which you mentioned in your post. You may be interested in it.

Tough Guise

Violence, Media And The Crisis In Masculinity

Jackson Katz argues that widespread violence in American society, including the tragic school shootings in Littleton, Colorado, Jonesboro, Arkansas, and elsewhere, needs to be understood as part of an ongoing crisis in masculinity. Tough Guise is the first educational video geared toward college and high school students to systematically examine the relationship between pop-cultural imagery and the social construction of masculine identities in the U.S. at the dawn of the 21st century.

Did you read the article?

No, I don't usually read articles or watch Youtubes in forum posts --- I am interested in what posters think, and discussion of their ideas. when I am interested in reading articles, I can find them in the magazines and sites I follow. I'd be spending a lot of time reading and watching propaganda if I clicked on many links in posts.

I did read your points more than once, but could not figure out whose side you are on, men's or women's.

Perhaps, a humanist.

The Way We Never Were

She's great.

It was a great book.

I would read the second one you posted but I have too much stuff I am reading right now and my brain wants to rest.

In regards to your post, I think we should have more talks about the issues men face. About a year ago I posted about the Macho Paradox and nobody was really interested The Macho Paradox Jackson Katz

The Professor also made a documentary about some of the issues men face which you mentioned in your post. You may be interested in it.

Tough Guise

Jackson Katz argues that widespread violence in American society, including the tragic school shootings in Littleton, Colorado, Jonesboro, Arkansas, and elsewhere, needs to be understood as part of an ongoing crisis in masculinity. Tough Guise is the first educational video geared toward college and high school students to systematically examine the relationship between pop-cultural imagery and the social construction of masculine identities in the U.S. at the dawn of the 21st century.

You showed this to me before. Right before we voted on a book for book club-which I have but still have not read. I'm juggling several books as it is.

The Way We Never Were

She's great.

It was a great book.

Tough Guise

You showed this to me before. Right before we voted on a book for book club-which I have but still have not read. I'm juggling several books as it is.

Same here, that thread drizzled :lol:

Men's rights movement?
There is such a thing?
Forgive me, I haven't read the whole article, or this thread for that matter.

Is the OP arguing that what is "Men's rights" currently is a bad thing, or that men deserve no rights? You know, is this a "hey men deserve rights too, but they are doing it wrong"... or a "I'm a feminist and I hate men" kind of thing?

Is the OP making a communist-capitalist argument that everyone regardless of gender should be in the "workforce" so that labor price is reduced and more people should be slaves?

Please bring me up to speed, this thread seems amusing.

Men's rights movement?
There is such a thing?
Forgive me, I haven't read the whole article, or this thread for that matter.

Is the OP arguing that what is "Men's rights" currently is a bad thing, or that men deserve no rights?

Is the OP making a communist-capitalist argument that everyone regardless of gender should be in the "workforce" so that labor price is reduced and more people should be slaves?

Please bring me up to speed, this thread seems amusing.

Read the article.

Oh goodness, the OP...
Please answer a question or two? I'd be happy to oblige in return.

Or is this one of those "this is my gospel you must accept" type of things?

Oh goodness, the OP...
Please answer a question or two? I'd be happy to oblige in return.

Or is this one of those "this is my gospel you must accept" type of things?

It's one of those..........read the article things. It's related to the OP and I have had my fill of lazy people for the day.

So, it's a "this is my gospel you must accept" kind of thing... bummer, discussion is much more productive.

So, it's a "this is my gospel you must accept" kind of thing... bummer, discussion is much more productive.

Not at all. But, my OP is in part a response and an invitation. If you don't read the article then you don't get it.

...a communist-capitalist argument that everyone regardless of gender should be in the "workforce" so that labor price is reduced and more people should be slaves?

Nice thoughtful post!

Yeah, the whole concept that women should all work and neglect their children and homes and farm them out to lower-class child-care crowded groups ---- hmmmmm. I smell bankers. They want women all working because then there is more money circulating for them to play with.

Another issue: it's anti-natalist, as are so many social issues now. I think that could be a giant inchoate social movement trying to reduce or at least suppress the malignant increase of population in this plainly overpopulated world. Women are supposed to work outside the home, therefore they can't have children, or so many, and must have them later. It's maybe a population control device, like the popularization of homosexual marriage, birth control, abortion, easy divorce.

I'm not opposed to anti-natalist measures: I think the world population should be about 1/8 of the current catastrophe. But that is what I think is going on.

New Topics

Forum List

Back