Luxembourg abolishes fares on public transport

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
Luxembourg to become first country in world to make public transport free

While rail travellers in Britain prepare for tickets to cost 3.1 per cent more in 2019, Luxembourg is set to become the first country in the world to abolish all fares on public transport.

A new coalition government is taking office in the Grand Duchy with the promise of abolishing tickets on trains, trams and buses next summer.

At present fares are capped at a low level: €2 for up to two hours of travel, which in the small nation covers almost any journey.

Fair play. Ticks all sorts of boxes.

Hope they like sitting in piss scented buses and trains. The bottom-feeders will infest them.

While rail travellers in Britain prepare for tickets to cost 3.1 per cent more in 2019, Luxembourg is set to become the first country in the world to abolish all fares on public transport.

A new coalition government is taking office in the Grand Duchy with the promise of abolishing tickets on trains, trams and buses next summer.

At present fares are capped at a low level: €2 for up to two hours of travel, which in the small nation covers almost any journey.

When the farthest the transport has to travel is 51 miles that does not seem quite so difficult.

Luxembourg - Wikipedia
In 2016, Luxembourg had a population of 576,249.
But not many people to pay for those 51 miles.
Anyway, as though the actual miles matter. The exceptional excuses are never far away. Nothing foreign can apply to the US because the US is so different, big, diverse, etc., etc..
If one looks at 51 miles times the population of the US divided by the population of Luxembourg, the US would have to be 25,000 miles odd across to be equivalent in miles per person paying for it.

The important thing is that it shows you can be innovative and take big decisions when the railways are publicly controlled.
It may not resonate in the US but the UK railrways are a privately owned mess. Captive travellers see fares go up every year s the service declines.

Pay As You Society. If you use transport, you pay, if you don't, then you don't pay. Lefties want everyone to pay for everything they don't use for the benefit of Lefties.

If I use the train or bus (once every couple of years if that), I expect to pay for a ticket. Why would I want to constantly pay for scabs like you?

Pay As You Society. If you use transport, you pay, if you don't, then you don't pay. Lefties want everyone to pay for everything they don't use for the benefit of Lefties.

If I use the train or bus (once every couple of years if that), I expect to pay for a ticket. Why would I want to constantly pay for scabs like you?
Not in Luxembourg.

Not in Luxembourg.
Because they put the misery on all.

Me thinks you're struggling with that concept, but you are a Lefty, economics is not your forte.

Let me put it across as an analogy so the thick one legged Welsh can comprehend. Imagine Luxembourg apply the same concept to cars. They give everyone with a driving licence a car, free of charge at the taxpayers expense, but every taxpayer pays, even the none drivers with no licence. Can you see how your misery works now? You go out to work, but you pay for everything you don't use.

It's the same concept with state education, we all pay, even those with no kids and those that can't have kids. Fantastic isn't it!!

Last edited:
Many U.S. cities have free fares in their downtown areas already, even in some Texas cities. Free parking at 'park and rides' for busses and trains as well. Lux is about 30 years behind the times.

Many U.S. cities have free fares in their downtown areas already, even in some Texas cities. Free parking at 'park and rides' for busses and trains as well. Lux is about 30 years behind the times.
That sounds great. Milton Keynes has free park and ride as well. It doesnt encourage me to go there.

Because they put the misery on all.

Me thinks you're struggling with that concept, but you are a Lefty, economics is not your forte.

Let me put it across as an analogy so the thick one legged Welsh can comprehend. Imagine Luxembourg apply the same concept to cars. They give everyone with a driving licence a car, free of charge at the taxpayers expense, but every taxpayer pays, even the none drivers with no licence. Can you see how your misery works now? You go out to work, but you pay for everything you don't use.

It's the same concept with state education, we all pay, even those with no kids and those that can't have kids. Fantastic isn't it!!
So now you dont want to pay for schools. Dear me. What an idiot you are.

Correct, but where did I say I don't want to fund state education?

My two boys went to state education, they're now in their 20's. I pay tax towards state education. But you get some that don't have kids, and those who can't have kids, who say why should they pay.

So again I ask, where did I say I don't want to pay for state schools?

Forum List

Back