LSTU#5: Golf & Vacation Edition

wjmacguffin

Proud Liberal
Mar 5, 2012
Illinois, USA
Liberal Seeks To Understand #5
I'll admit to being a liberal, so speak slowly and use small words please. :) Although I can get salty, here I'm just trying to understand conservatives' POV on issues. This is an honest question. As before, I'll return respect with respect and crudeness with crudeness.

What do conservatives feel about Trump's golfing and Mar-a-Lago stays?

When Obama was president, I read a lot of conservative complaints about wasting taxpayer money on vacations. There was also a brou-ha-ha over how much time he spent golfing. Now that Trump is president, though, I'm not seeing any such complaints. His trips to Mar-a-Lago and staying at Trump Tower in NYC are costing millions of taxpayer dollars, while he has been on the golf courses more than Obama or Bush at this point in their presidencies.

Is this a concern to conservatives today? Is there something different that makes Obama's actions bad but Trump's actions okay? And given how Trump repeatedly knocked Obama for golfing, does it seem hypocritical to y'all that Trump is golfing so much at the start of his presidency?

Again, I'm just trying to grok the other side so I can be less ignorant and more sympathetic. Cheers!

I'll admit to being a liberal, so speak slowly and use small words please. :) Although I can get salty, here I'm just trying to understand conservatives' POV on issues. This is an honest question. As before, I'll return respect with respect and crudeness with crudeness.

When Obama was president, I read a lot of conservative complaints about wasting taxpayer money on vacations. There was also a brou-ha-ha over how much time he spent golfing. Now that Trump is president, though, I'm not seeing any such complaints. His trips to Mar-a-Lago and staying at Trump Tower in NYC are costing millions of taxpayer dollars, while he has been on the golf courses more than Obama or Bush at this point in their presidencies.

Is this a concern to conservatives today? Is there something different that makes Obama's actions bad but Trump's actions okay? And given how Trump repeatedly knocked Obama for golfing, does it seem hypocritical to y'all that Trump is golfing so much at the start of his presidency?

Again, I'm just trying to grok the other side so I can be less ignorant and more sympathetic. Cheers!
Trump's golfing weekends are not even comparable to Obama's golfing vacations. Trump works 18-20 hours a day and takes his work with him. Bush did the same thing when he spent time at his Texas ranch. Obama played and partied and almost wrecked the country. That's my opinion.

Just like every thread you make, it boils down to partisanship. Is it really that hard to understand?

Trump's golfing weekends are not even comparable to Obama's golfing vacations. Trump works 18-20 hours a day and takes his work with him. Bush did the same thing when he spent time at his Texas ranch. Obama played and partied and almost wrecked the country. That's my opinion.

Trump "claims" he works 18-20 hour days.....but we have all seen how accurate Trumps claims tend to be

From those who are there, Trump seems disinterested in the meetings he attends and asks few questions. He considers the hands on work to be beneath him
Twitter analysis seems to show he spends much of his time watching TV

He also reportedly lies about his golf score

Trump "claims" he works 18-20 hour days.....but we have all seen how accurate Trumps claims tend to be

From those who are there, Trump seems disinterested in the meetings he attends and asks few questions. He considers the hands on work to be beneath him

Heaven forbid he lies about his golf score! He should be ashamed.

He pretty much lies about everything

His health, his weight, his height, his wife's boobs, the size of his penis, the weather, his wealth, his education, his religion.....

You're certainly welcome to your opinion, but do you have any links or evidence that 1) Obama "played and partied" on such vacations instead of working and 2) Trump is working on these vacations?

Also, if you don't mind my asking, what do you think about the cost of Trump staying in Trump Tower and Mar-a-Lago?

Just like every thread you make, it boils down to partisanship. Is it really that hard to understand?
Yes, because that's not the *only* reason.

Sure, here and elsewhere, I've met extremists who worship their political leaders and treat bipartisanship like sin. Those people (both Republicans and Democrats) can fuck off because they don't actually think.

But in past questions I've asked, I've seen some rational, good explanations. For example, I asked why conservatives support DeVos. I learned that 1) most education secretaries have little or no education experience, and 2) school choice is the litmus test for her and she passed. #1 made sense and #2 I disagreed with, but I saw reason and logic. Before that, all I saw was a monolithic, homogeneous Trump army rubber-stamping anything he did.

He must have read Clinton's book, "I did not have an eight..."

You're certainly welcome to your opinion, but do you have any links or evidence that 1) Obama "played and partied" on such vacations instead of working and 2) Trump is working on these vacations?

Also, if you don't mind my asking, what do you think about the cost of Trump staying in Trump Tower and Mar-a-Lago?
The Trump Tower and Mar-a Lago are both good alternates if I can't find a Motel 6.

The Trump Tower and Mar-a Lago are both good alternates if I can't find a Motel 6.
Not a bad joke, but I can't help but notice it came with a marked lack of evidence or links to back your previous assertion. Did you forget, or could you not find any?

Not a bad joke, but I can't help but notice it came with a marked lack of evidence or links to back your previous assertion. Did you forget, or could you not find any?
I don't have any links and ain't going to dig 'em up. I watch the news and read the Breaking News bulletins from the media. Which every liberal puke here will claim it's a lie. Only Matthews and Madcow tell you libs the truth.

I don't have any links and ain't going to dig 'em up. I watch the news and read the Breaking News bulletins from the media. Which every liberal puke here will claim it's a lie. Only Matthews and Madcow tell you libs the truth.
Do you mind sharing those news sites and bulletins? I've honestly not seen any that shows Obama was lazy and Trump is hard-working in reference to golfing and vacations.

When Trump travels he OWNS the property. Obama rented, forcing everyone else in the entourage to have to rent a place to stay. I would like to see how these so-called millions are being spent.
OK, so if I understand you correctly, Obama was wrong because he stayed in hotels and resorts, forcing the taxpayers to pick up the tab for their entourage. But Trump is OK because he's only staying at places he owns, so there's no rent or whatnot for his entourage.

I see Ears is off on a month long vaca w/o Mooch...French Polynesia.

Probably off looking for coco "nuts"

When Trump travels he OWNS the property. Obama rented, forcing everyone else in the entourage to have to rent a place to stay. I would like to see how these so-called millions are being spent.

So Secret Service is given free room and board at Mara Lago?
I doubt it

Same goes for security at Trump Tower

OK, so if I understand you correctly, Obama was wrong because he stayed in hotels and resorts, forcing the taxpayers to pick up the tab for their entourage. But Trump is OK because he's only staying at places he owns, so there's no rent or whatnot for his entourage.

No. I asked the question.
Obama liked to vacation in Hawaii, where he had to rent a place to stay. The same for Martha's Vineyard.

So far, I don't think Trump has gone anywhere but to his homes in NY and in FL.

No. I asked the question.
Obama liked to vacation in Hawaii, where he had to rent a place to stay. The same for Martha's Vineyard.

So far, I don't think Trump has gone anywhere but to his homes in NY and in FL.
What difference does it make if he rents or buys?

Obama spent his weekends in the White House and did not run away on weekend jaunts

Forum List

Back