Looking for quick, cheap dinner ideas/recipes...

Quick Lime Pie

1 can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup lime juice (preferably Key Lime)
Enough whipped topping to cover the lime mixture
1 graham cracker or vanilla wafer crust.

Pie Shell

2 cups crushed graham cracker or vanilla wafers
3/4 cup melted butter
Mix crumbs and butter thoroughly and press into pie pan sprayed with or rubbed with butter.

Filling

Mix condensed milk with live juice in blender. Insert into shell and smooth out. Top with whipped topping spread evenly. Refrigerate for 1 or more hours. Enjoy

Sometimes I make a regular crust with flour, shortening and salt, pre-bake, insert filling and top with meringue, and brown it. No refrigeration required.

Last edited:
Question for the hollandaise-sauce-making people: how long does it take you to make and how long does it keep? I love the sauce, but it takes so much time and effort.

Hollandaise takes about 5 minutes to make.

I'll let you in on my secret...

Get out your blender.

Separate 3 eggs, you want the yolk.

Put the three egg yolks in the blender

Take a stick of butter and zap it in a bowl in the microwave until the butter is hot and bubbling.

With the top on the blender and the center plug thingy out of the top, turn it on medium. Drizzle the hot butter into the egg yolks. When about half is used, drizzle in lemon juice (1 Tbs,) pepper and anything else you want. Then drizzle in the rest of the hot butter.

That's all there is to it.

Question for the hollandaise-sauce-making people: how long does it take you to make and how long does it keep? I love the sauce, but it takes so much time and effort.

Hollandaise takes about 5 minutes to make.

I'll let you in on my secret...

Get out your blender.

Separate 3 eggs, you want the yolk.

Put the three egg yolks in the blender

Take a stick of butter and zap it in a bowl in the microwave until the butter is hot and bubbling.

With the top on the blender and the center plug thingy out of the top, turn it on medium. Drizzle the hot butter into the egg yolks. When about half is used, drizzle in lemon juice (1 Tbs,) pepper and anything else you want. Then drizzle in the rest of the hot butter.

That's all there is to it.
Best to clarify the butter before adding. Makes for a smoother, less heavy consistency, and decreases the chance of the sauce breaking.....It also helps the sauce keep a lil' longer......But then, it's best just to make enough for what you need at the time.......It's never as good the next day.

Anyone for Etoufee?
Etoufee is excellent when done right........I worked at Commanders Palace in New Orleans for a year after finishing Culinary School......Best Etoufee you'll ever encounter.:cool:
My wife is from New Orleans and after we married lived there for a few years (before I got drafted and chose to make the military my career) We lived uptown not that far from the Palace.

I have eaten there and their etoufee is good, very good, probably better than any other restaurant shy of K-Paul's, but not the best as they all stint on crawfish.

My quick and easy recipe calls for:

2 lbs crawfish tails
2 cups chopped onion
2 cups chopped green pepper
2 tbs chopped garlic
1 tsp cayenne (preferably fresh but ground will do)
3 tbs clarified butter
3 tbs flour
1-2 cups seafood stock
salt to taste

Melt butter, add flour and make a medium brown roux. Add vegetables and cayenne and saute until onions clear cooked on low stirring constantly to prevent scorching. Add a cup of seafood stock and simmer. About 15 minutes before serving add 1 lb crawfish tails. Grind 1 lb crawfish tails and add to pot.

Some people like a little tomato in their etoufee. Sometimes I add a little but mostly I prefer it pure since I am from Cajun country . The tomato tends to be a New Orleans style.

I also add a little red wine from time to time, and sometimes I add mushrooms. Nothing like a little variety.

K-Paul and Enola Prudhomme were in school with my sisters and I in Opelousas. I actually like Enola's cooking better, but she doesn't have the name her brother does.

Last edited:
Chicken Fricassee

I don't really have a formal 'recipe' for this, but here's what I do.

In a decent sized skillet brown 4 chicken breasts, skin removed. Bone can be in, doesn't matter about that. Layer sliced potatoes and onions on top. I try to salt and pepper each layer, but careful not to over do. Top that with frozen green beans. Add 1/2 cup of water or chicken broth to the skillet. Loosen the chicken to make sure it isn't sticking. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer until chicken is done and veggies are tender....about 30 minutes.

My kids didn't like the green beans. They thought the frozen green beans tasted too 'green.' So I didn't use them when I cooked it for the kids. But you can use a different vegetable like carrots.

Also, I found this recipe on the internet and my company always likes it:

Chicken Spectacular

Chicken Spectacular Recipe - Allrecipes.com

I don't put the green beans in it either. You can change up the flavor of rice and/ or cheese to give it several different pesentations. Good recipe.

That's really close to the fricassee my mom makes (and I do too) though we never put veggies in ours. We fry the chicken, put it in a pan, add a little water, and stick it in th eoven until the meat falls off the bone...

Oyster dressing for the Turkey Day dinner

1 loaf french bread
Chicken or Turkey stock (between 1 and 2 cups)
1/2 stick butter
1 cup chopped onions
1 cup chopped green peppers
1.2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped parsley
1 tbs chopped garlic
1 cup raw oysters with liquor
Salt and pepper to taste

Melt butter and saute vegetables in large skillet. (I prefer a Wok as I double the recipe). Leave on low while removing all the inner part of the bread breaking into small pieces. Add bread to skillet and mix thoroughly. Add oysters with liquor and mix. Add stock mixing as you go until it has the proper moisture content. Place in casserole and bake on 350 for about 1 hour.

I do not stuff the turkey because the turkey does not cook through and through as well. On occasion I take the giblets and neck, bake with bird in separate container until done, remove neck meat and chop well adding it to the dressing before baking. I always buy extra giblets for gravy, and I take the fat rendered from the bird and use some to make a seasoned gravy with stock and and enough roux to properly thicken the gravy.

Dinner today will be Thai Shrimp.

1.5 to 2 lbs shrimp (small to medium in size)
1 cup sweet and sour sauce
1 cup chopped onions
1 cup chopped green pepper
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1 tbs chopped garlic
1 tbs butter
salt, black pepper, red pepper to taste

Melt butter, then saute all vegetables until clear cooked. Stir in sweet and sour sauce. About 20 minutes prior to serving add shrimp and cook on low until shrimp is done. Serve with/over rice.

Last edited:
English Roasted Chicken

This will take a chicken called a 'family roaster.' Most have a little pop out thing that lets you know when it is done. Very convenient.

Stuff the cavity of the bird with cut up onion, carrot, and lemon. You can put lemon slices under the skin of the breast as well, but I prefer not.

Cover the bird's breast and legs with strips of bacon. Roast about 2 1/2 hours or until the little pop up thing pops out. No need to baste unless you just want to. When it is about 2/3 done pull the bacon off so the bird can brown.

The drippings make wonderful flavrful gravey. Pour off the fat and just use the juices. You may have to thin it down a bit with some water or chicken broth. Thicken with corn starch. Sometimes these birds come with the giblets which you can boil and cut up to put in the grave as well if you like. I just like the plain gravy from the drippings.

Someone mentioned fried green tomaties eariler this week. I don't cook them much as I don't think they are really worth the mess. But when I do, I just dip the slices in a slightly beaten egg and dredge them in either cornmeal or a hush puppy mix like Zatarains. The hush puppy mix seems to brown better. Some people fry them in bacon fat. Tastes good for sure, but too much cholesterol. I deep fry them in a low saturated fat oil until they are a nice golden brown. I serve them in a biscuit sandwich with a little sweet onion.

Some restaurants are now making fried green tomato BLTs. They use the fried green tomato slices, bacon, sweet onion, and some feta or bleu cheese. They are pretty good, actually.

Edited to add: Salt and pepper to taste, but if you use hush puppy mix to bread them you won't really need to.

Last edited:
Paula Deen has a butter cake recipe in her Christmas recipe magazine. My wedding cake was a butter cake. The woman who made it took the recipe to her grave. I've looked for a good butter cake recipe for 45 years. I even bought 9 inch pans to cook it in. All I've ever used were 8 inch and I have some oblong 'oval' pans I like for a larger amount of batter. But I want to do this one JUST like she says.

spamWithBacon.png

:eusa_whistle:

They eat a lot of that in Hawaii! Not in KY.

(And I'm not even going to say what I'm thinking because I don't want to ruin a nice recipe thread. But for those who are into 'channeling' you can figure it out!

Last edited:

Forum List

Back