Looking for quick, cheap dinner ideas/recipes...

Ooooh, Kentucky.... sorry...... Here, better?

Road%20Kill%20Cafe.JPG

:D
You may be jesting, but have you ever tried an armadillo? After hunting all day when none of us even saw a deer, we came up on an armadillo eating acorns. It was young, we were hungry, so pow, off with the head. We cut it out of its shell, seasoned in with garlic chunks and salt and pepper in little holes all over, put it in a closed roasting pan with peeled sweet potatoes and viola, poor man's pig. The potatoes were good, the gravy was good and the armadillo was surprising like roasted baby pig. It was juicy and made a lot of good gravy for rice.

Road%20Kill%20Cafe.JPG

You may be jesting, but have you ever tried an armadillo? After hunting all day when none of us even saw a deer, we came up on an armadillo eating acorns. It was young, we were hungry, so pow, off with the head. We cut it out of its shell, seasoned in with garlic chunks and salt and pepper in little holes all over, put it in a closed roasting pan with peeled sweet potatoes and viola, poor man's pig. The potatoes were good, the gravy was good and the armadillo was surprising like roasted baby pig. It was juicy and made a lot of good gravy for rice.

Yeah but it just isn't done right unless it's tenderized under a vehicles wheels first.......... :eusa_whistle:

Road%20Kill%20Cafe.JPG

Yeah but it just isn't done right unless it's tenderized under a vehicles wheels first.......... :eusa_whistle:
Young Armadillo is tender. No need for run over.

Young Armadillo is tender. No need for run over.

Are you purposefully trying to ruin my joke........ ? :eusa_whistle:

Someone mentioned fried green tomaties eariler this week. I don't cook them much as I don't think they are really worth the mess. But when I do, I just dip the slices in a slightly beaten egg and dredge them in either cornmeal or a hush puppy mix like Zatarains. The hush puppy mix seems to brown better. Some people fry them in bacon fat. Tastes good for sure, but too much cholesterol. I deep fry them in a low saturated fat oil until they are a nice golden brown. I serve them in a biscuit sandwich with a little sweet onion.

Some restaurants are now making fried green tomato BLTs. They use the fried green tomato slices, bacon, sweet onion, and some feta or bleu cheese. They are pretty good, actually.

Edited to add: Salt and pepper to taste, but if you use hush puppy mix to bread them you won't really need to.

Love them.

I also love fried ripe tomatoes...I just heat up some olive oil, cut up some tomatoes, and throw them in. Even better if I sprinkle them with parmesan.

typically I like them with breakfast...italian bread, an egg, some Italian sausage...yum. IN FACT what I USUALLY do is slice a chunk of italian or french bread, take out the middle, drop into a pan greased with olive oil, and drop an egg into the middle. Serve with Italian sausage links (I slice them) or with kielbasa and the fried tomatoes. Yum. Go crazy and slap some mozzerella on top of the egg after you flip the bread.

Does anyone else see the humor in "koshergrl" looking for cheap recipes?

Probably not.

But whatcha gonna do? :dunno:

Bringle Casserole (eggplant}
1 lb ground lamb
1 medium eggplant
1/2 cup each chopped onions, green pepper, celery
2 tbs Parmesan cheese
1 tsp garlic
1/2 tsp corriandar
1/4 tsp tumeric
1/4 tsp cumin seed
Salt and pepper to taste

Fry ground lamb until browning. Remove meat and fry seasonings then add vegetables and clear cook until the eggplant is soft and squishy. Mix in 1/4 cup bread crumbs and Parmesan. Place in casserole and sprinkle bread crumbs on top. Cover and bake for 45 min to 1 hour.

Shrimp and Pasta
12 to 16 oz peeled shrimp
2 cups dry pasta (I use shells)
1/2 cup mozzarella and provolone mixed
1/4 cup butter
1 tbs lemon juice
1/2 tbs chopped garlic
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp blackpepper
1/4 cup dry white wine
3 scallions chopped

Cook pasta according to directions. Melt butter in large skillet, add lemon juice and saute garlic for 2 minutes, then add shrimp and saute another 3 to 4 minutes. Mix sour cream, yogurt, wine, salt and pepper, cheese, cooked pasta. and shrimp into mixture. Pour into casserole. and top with chopped scallions and sprinkle Parmesan and bread crumbs on top. Bake 30 to 45 minutes.

Someone mentioned fried green tomaties eariler this week. I don't cook them much as I don't think they are really worth the mess. But when I do, I just dip the slices in a slightly beaten egg and dredge them in either cornmeal or a hush puppy mix like Zatarains. The hush puppy mix seems to brown better. Some people fry them in bacon fat. Tastes good for sure, but too much cholesterol. I deep fry them in a low saturated fat oil until they are a nice golden brown. I serve them in a biscuit sandwich with a little sweet onion.

Some restaurants are now making fried green tomato BLTs. They use the fried green tomato slices, bacon, sweet onion, and some feta or bleu cheese. They are pretty good, actually.

Edited to add: Salt and pepper to taste, but if you use hush puppy mix to bread them you won't really need to.

Love them.

I also love fried ripe tomatoes...I just heat up some olive oil, cut up some tomatoes, and throw them in. Even better if I sprinkle them with parmesan.

typically I like them with breakfast...italian bread, an egg, some Italian sausage...yum. IN FACT what I USUALLY do is slice a chunk of italian or french bread, take out the middle, drop into a pan greased with olive oil, and drop an egg into the middle. Serve with Italian sausage links (I slice them) or with kielbasa and the fried tomatoes. Yum. Go crazy and slap some mozzerella on top of the egg after you flip the bread.

That sounds absolutely scrumptious!:eusa_angel:

Champ... boiled potatoes finely mashed, add buttermilk and finely chopped scallions or spring onions and mash again. which is suitable for vegetarians but you can add finely chopped ham shank meat (boiled for at least 2 hours) for a very full , tastey and very cheap healthy meal. Retain the ham shank boiling water and keep as an excellent meat stock for any soup but excellent for pea and ham soup using the remains of the ham shank.

i made a chicken pot pie last night that fed 6 people and cost $8 to make.......

3 chicken brests, heat oven to 450, add a tab of butter to a pan, baked chicken for 20 mins then cut/shredded
can of cream of mushroom soup
can of cream of celery soup
bag of frozen mixed veggies

put both cans of soup in a pot, added veggies and heated them up

when chicken was done, mixed the veggies and chicken

2 ready made pie crusts

laid the crust on the bottom, added the filling, laid pie crust on top, placed foil around edges, baked for 30 mins, removed foil, baked for 30 more mins......

Last edited:
I like chicken pot pie too, but I prefer boneless, skinless thighs.
First make a roux
2 tbs canola oil
2 heaping tbs flour
Heat oil to medium high, add flour and stirring constantly brown the flour. I like a dark roux, about the color of milk chocolate.
1 lb meat cut into bite sized pieces
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped sweet pepper
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 tbs chipped garlic
salt and pepper to taste

Then add the meat, and all veges and seasoning. Stir fry until onion is clear cooked. Cover and cook on very low until chicken is done. If there is too much liquid cook it off. If it is too dry add a couple tbs water.

In small 4-5 inch pie pan flatten pie crust into man, spoon chicken mixture to fill then add top crust sealing around with a fork. Make fork holes in top to release steam. Bake until crust is golden brown.
I sometimes take a normal 8-9 inch raw pie crust, spoon filling in, double over and seal with a fork then bush with a little milk and oil then bake until golden brown if I don't have the small pie tins. Mold or fill as many as the meat mixture will go, part cook the ones you don't plan to eat immediately and freeze the rest in ziploc freezer bags removing as much air as possible.

Last edited:
I think pancakes and eggs for my crew tonight; breakfast for dinner. We are really strapped for time..I only have an hour to pick them up and feed them before we have to be at play rehearsal for 2 hours. It sort of limits me.

I have got to start devoting at least an hour at night (late, late at night) to dinner prep for the next day. Or we're going to be eating pancakes a lot.

I think pancakes and eggs for my crew tonight; breakfast for dinner. We are really strapped for time..I only have an hour to pick them up and feed them before we have to be at play rehearsal for 2 hours. It sort of limits me.

I have got to start devoting at least an hour at night (late, late at night) to dinner prep for the next day. Or we're going to be eating pancakes a lot.

My slow cooker has saved the day more than once. And there are so many yummy ideas for entrees that can be prepared in a slow cooker now. Weiners or cheap meat balls in bar-b-que sauce for instance are ready to go when you are ready for dinner; add a slice of fruit, a microwaved potato, and maybe some canned green beans and voila! Dinner.

Hey good idea..I'm going to find a chicken and dumplings crockpot recipe for tomorrow I think..I'm sure one exists.

Velveeta has their queso cheese in the stores again (haven't seen it in years). Melt some with a little milk for consistancy and serve with nachos and picante or salsa. Add meat or beans if you want a more complete meal!

GRANDPA'S FAVORITE SQUIRREL & GRAVY

Read more about it at Cooks.com - Recipe - Grandpa's Favorite Squirrel & Gravy
Content Copyright © 2012 Cooks.com - All rights reserved.

1 squirrel, clean & cook
4 c. cold water
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper

Soak squirrel overnight in salt water. Put squirrel in large kettle, cover well with cold water. Add salt and pepper. Cook until tender. (Save about 2 cups of the water (broth) squirrel was cooked in to make the gravy.)

GRAVY:

3 tbsp. flour
2 c. squirrel broth
2 tbsp. grease
3 c. sweet milk

Cooks.com - Recipe - Grandpa's Favorite Squirrel & Gravy

In my family, we just chicken fry them and make gravy from the drippings.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back