Long Lost Relative

I just heard from a person who says he is my cousin on from my father's side who is doing a genealogy study for a family tree.

For a little background I was orphaned at 14 when my mother died of a drug overdose. My parents weren't married. My father who I really had no relationship with died when I was 8 he was an alcoholic and addict and died of liver failure. He was your run of the mill deadbeat dad and I actually didn't even find out he was dead until a year after he died.

I never met any of his family.

So this guy says he's my long lost cousin and wants to meet me and introduce me to his side of the family.

I still haven't decided what I'm going to do. These people are all just strangers to me and I really don't know if i want to know them.
Maybe he had just as dysfunctional a family life as you did, and also went through holy hell growing up, and finally he decided he could only heal by facing life straight on, or by finding other relatives? I dunno?

Maybe you, could help him somehow? Maybe this whole thing is not for your healing, but for him?

I was just working on my ancestry/genealogy and thought I'd take a break and come to USMB and boom, there is your thread regarding genealogy.... Weird.
LOL are you done fisting already
Are you having fun yet??
I just heard from a person who says he is my cousin on from my father's side who is doing a genealogy study for a family tree.

For a little background I was orphaned at 14 when my mother died of a drug overdose. My parents weren't married. My father who I really had no relationship with died when I was 8 he was an alcoholic and addict and died of liver failure. He was your run of the mill deadbeat dad and I actually didn't even find out he was dead until a year after he died.

So this guy says he's my long lost cousin and wants to meet me and introduce me to his side of the family.

I still haven't decided what I'm going to do. These people are all just strangers to me and I really don't know if i want to know them.
Maybe he had just as dysfunctional a family life as you did, and also went through holy hell growing up, and finally he decided he could only heal by facing life straight on, or by finding other relatives? I dunno?

Maybe you, could help him somehow? Maybe this whole thing is not for your healing, but for him?

I was just working on my ancestry/genealogy and thought I'd take a break and come to USMB and boom, there is your thread regarding genealogy.... Weird.
I don't think I need any healing. I dealt with my past and have literally not thought of it in a long time.

From the little I know it seems that my father's extended family is pretty average and it was my father who was the black sheep
Then maybe your cousin needs some sort of healing, or is just an all around good guy who believes blood, is thicker than water???

I'd be a little curious and at least meet him once, somewhere neutral... Bring your wife too....

But that is just my opinion....and talk with your wife about it....see what she thinks of it all....in general, (your mom not included) women have pretty good intuition and judgement on these kind of things, imho.

Are you having fun yet??

I don't think I need any healing. I dealt with my past and have literally not thought of it in a long time.

From the little I know it seems that my father's extended family is pretty average and it was my father who was the black sheep
Then maybe your cousin needs some sort of healing, or is just an all around good guy who believes blood, is thicker than water???

I'd be a little curious and at least meet him once, somewhere neutral... Bring your wife too....

But that is just my opinion....and talk with your wife about it....see what she thinks of it all....in general, (your mom not included) women have pretty good intuition and judgement on these kind of things, imho.
You ever regret not having kids

You don't need me to say I'm sorry about your parents but I am just the same. You didn't deserve that.
Thank you for the kind thought.

Are you having fun yet??

Yeah I might meet him for a beer but I don't have any expectations that it will lead to anything

I dont see any harm in connecting with him unless you just dont want to.
At worst he could ask for money.

My Wife was adopted. Her parents knew the girl who was pregnant. She apparently got pregnant while her husband was overseas in the military.
Her parents paid all her medical bills related to the pregnancy and gave her pocket money.

...Oh,the Wife had the opportunity to meet Her mother and other relatives but she said no.

Last edited:
Actually the red sux are not playing in a stadium built this century and the score is still

YANKEES 27

red sux 9

The only baseball stadium older than the collesium in rome

fenway-park-stadt-boston-masse-76483022.jpg

Actually the red sux are not playing in a stadium built this century and the score is still

YANKErS 27

red sox 9

Still too chicken shit to answer my question. That's alright, everyone knows the answer.

YANKErS 27

red sox 9

Still too chicken shit to answer my question. That's alright, everyone knows the answer.
Yankees 27

red sux 9

I dont see any harm in connecting with him unless you just dont want to.
At worst he could ask for money.

My Wife was adopted. Her parents knew the girl who was pregnant. She apparently got pregnant while her husband was overseas in the military.
Her parents paid all her medical bills related to the pregnancy and gave her pocket money.

...Oh,the Wife had the opportunity to meet Her mother and other relatives but she said no.
I probably will at least meet him for a beer or a coffee but I don't know if I want it to go any further than that.

Forum List

Back