London has Warmest April day in nearly 70 years, as Enormous Heat Dome Consumes Europe

Many are familiar with the three major climate zones/bands on Earth, unfortunately that is an oversimplification.

iu

There are more than the basic three, but their boundaries are a bit in dispute/variance;

iu

iu

iu

climate-regions-l.jpg

And should be noted that climate determines the range of weather, or weather ranges define climate;

PKESS1388_inline.png

More at this search page;

Last edited:
Hey PV System I asked you a question. How much warning will there be before Yellowstone explodes. C'mon dude, get your google ( :auiqs.jpg:) searches going.

I'm still waiting for you to keep your word that you'd talk at length about a technical topic in geology.

Guess we'll both have to wait forever.

I no longer need to prove anything. You are the one on the hook now.

But I know you can't and you won't. Because you are a fake.

Thanks for playing!

I'm still waiting for you to keep your word that you'd talk at length about a technical topic in geology.

Guess we'll both have to wait forever.

I no longer need to prove anything. You are the one on the hook now.

But I know you can't and you won't. Because you are a fake.

Thanks for playing!

I am. I am asking you how much warning there will be before a Yellowstone explosion. That is a very technical discussion. But it is one that you can't simply google. You have to BE a geologist to be able to just wing it. And that's the difference between a faker, you. And a geologist, me.

I am. I am asking you how much warning there will be before a Yellowstone explosion. That is a very technical discussion. But it is one that you can't simply google. You have to BE a geologist to be able to just wing it. And that's the difference between a faker, you. And a geologist, me.

Then you tell us. If you can.

You and I both know that the next thing you say in response will contain no actual science because it's all a game for you.

Let me try on that one.
About as much warning as we had for Mt. St. Helens (if we are lucky).

Don't tell him about the Yellowstone Observatory or the fact that we have a variety of seismic and other geophysical and geomorphological means to determine relative activity.

In the end the amount of warning will probably be pretty limited.

westwall is playing here. They are not a geologist and know next to nothing about geology so they think they can bluff their way through stuff just to needle folks who actually DO know geology.

It's annoying as hell (which is exactly what westwall wants, obviously), but for those of us who actually VALUE science and put time into learning it, it is really annoying to see that stupid game.

Don't tell him about the Yellowstone Observatory or the fact that we have a variety of seismic and other geophysical and geomorphological means to determine relative activity.

westwall is playing here. They are not a geologist and know next to nothing about geology so they think they can bluff their way through stuff just to needle folks who actually DO know geology.

It's annoying as hell (which is exactly what westwall wants, obviously), but for those of us who actually VALUE science and put time into learning it, it is really annoying to see that stupid game.

All conjecture sweets.....

Alaska in Jan.png

No, I am exposing you as a liar. There is no game involved, other than trapping you with simple geologic questions that ANY first year student can answer. You see, mr. faker, a real geologist makes the subject as simple as possible so that anyone can understand it. Only fakers try and baffle people with bullshit.

I already told Stryder everything in detail in a PM. Your turn.

I don't believe you but I'll take a stab at this (because science isn't a "game" for me).

Let's see how HONEST you are.

The USGS suggest weeks to months in general for volcanic predictions. Mostly the standard geomorphological and seismic behavior would be the keys. This is why they have an observatory at Yellowstone.

Right now it's something like one eruption there every 700k years or so if I recall correctly. This puts us about 100K years out from the next one. But vulcanologists also know that volcanoes are not on a timer.

Predicting a volcanic eruption is not straightforward and is by definition pretty shaky. But I'm guessing, best possible conditions, we might get up to a year of warning. In reality that is highly variable. We may get YEARS of information telling us this is going to happen.

Think about the Bishop Tuff in California. One could take the quartz crystals in that tuff and measure growth rates for example as Gaulda et al did in 2016. They were able to find conditions of supersaturation of the silica that indicate decompression and starting rapid growth about a year before the eruption. But that seems a dodgy thing to hang one's hat on given that it would require some interesting analyses to see if the SiO2 levels are indicative a decompression.

It might be more valuable to simply look for increases in elevation. Similar to what was seen around South Sister in the Cascades a few years back. It was estimated at that time that South Sister may be the next volcano to erupt in the Cascades but it's since actually gone down again. It's going to be pretty difficult to nail down in terms of time.

What was your answer? (Post it or we'll know you lied. Also get Stryder to post it).

No, I am exposing you as a liar. There is no game involved, other than trapping you with simple geologic questions that ANY first year student can answer. You see, mr. faker, a real geologist makes the subject as simple as possible so that anyone can understand it. Only fakers try and baffle people with bullshit.
"... makes the subject as simple as possible so that anyone can understand it." Which Westwall did and saved me a chunck of time on web searching.
We also discussed differences between Yellowstone and Mt. St. Helens (which I experienced living near Seattle at that time.)

Yawn. You are boring. Is this what you do on days when you don't drive the trash truck?

"... makes the subject as simple as possible so that anyone can understand it." Which Westwall did and saved me a chunck of time on web searching.
We also discussed differences between Yellowstone and Mt. St. Helens (which I experienced living near Seattle at that time.)

THen tell me what wetwall wrote in the PM. Let's see how it lines up with what I wrote.

If you can.

THen tell me what wetwall wrote in the PM. Let's see how it lines up with what I wrote.

If you can.
I don't share PMs on the public forum.
Not polite and usually against rules and protocols.
I'll leave it up to Westwall to share if he wants.
Not being trained as a geologist, but maybe better understanding of such than the average person, looks like you two might be closely qualified, but in different aspects. Something I noticed during my experience in manufacturing (mostly as Quality Assurance Inspector) is that scientific and technical fields can be rather vast ranging and professionals in such often specialize in differing aspects.

I don't believe you but I'll take a stab at this (because science isn't a "game" for me).

Let's see how HONEST you are.

The USGS suggest weeks to months in general for volcanic predictions. Mostly the standard geomorphological and seismic behavior would be the keys. This is why they have an observatory at Yellowstone.

Right now it's something like one eruption there every 700k years or so if I recall correctly. This puts us about 100K years out from the next one. But vulcanologists also know that volcanoes are not on a timer.

Predicting a volcanic eruption is not straightforward and is by definition pretty shaky. But I'm guessing, best possible conditions, we might get up to a year of warning. In reality that is highly variable. We may get YEARS of information telling us this is going to happen.

Think about the Bishop Tuff in California. One could take the quartz crystals in that tuff and measure growth rates for example as Gaulda et al did in 2016. They were able to find conditions of supersaturation of the silica that indicate decompression and starting rapid growth about a year before the eruption. But that seems a dodgy thing to hang one's hat on given that it would require some interesting analyses to see if the SiO2 levels are indicative a decompression.

It might be more valuable to simply look for increases in elevation. Similar to what was seen around South Sister in the Cascades a few years back. It was estimated at that time that South Sister may be the next volcano to erupt in the Cascades but it's since actually gone down again. It's going to be pretty difficult to nail down in terms of time.

What was your answer? (Post it or we'll know you lied. Also get Stryder to post it).

In actual fact we would have centuries of warning. The magma body would need to generate a useful reservoir and then after that was obtained you would have a period of "regional tumescence" where the entire region would undergo a period of uplift. Hundreds of square miles would rise high into the sky, for an eruption on the order of the Yellowstone eruption you would see a elevation change on the order of a mile at least. Then, in a week, hundreds of cubic miles of material would be hurled into the atmosphere.

Everything downwind within 1000 miles would die.

There are measurable quantities of the Bishop Tuff(from the Long Valley Caldera) at the Mid Atlantic Ridge as an example of the amount, and power of the eruption.

Yawn. You are boring. Is this what you do on days when you don't drive the trash truck?

I love teaching geology. I find all aspects of it interesting. People like you hurt science in general because you truly know nothing, so are reduced to Google to try and fool people.

Everything you just posted about Yellowstone you lifted from the USGS website.

In other words, you should go back to digging ditches. Truck driving is too hard for you.

Forum List

Back