Lincoln was a great leader exclusive of the war, darn him

Amendment X
"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the People"

Now let me explain it to the simple minded on this site:

The powers not delegated to the United States, (Secession would not apply to the United States.), NOR PROHIBITED BY IT TO THE STATES, (Secession is not prohibited by it to the States), so it remains with the States. If it had been prohibited to the States it would still be a power in the hands of the People.
Now that's simple. If you still don't get it, you are really, really stupid!
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Some speak the truth about Lincoln and his war.

Here is some of that truth:

The moral grandeur of Lincoln is rooted in the myth that he made a war on the South to abolish slavery. This is, at most, a Platonic noble lie designed to legitimate the Unionist regime. Lincoln thought that slavery was immoral, but so did Robert E. Lee. And Lee, at his own expense, freed the slaves he had inherited, through marriage, from the family of George Washington. Only around fifteen percent of southerners even owned slaves, and the great majority of these had holdings of one to six. Jefferson Davis was an enlightened slave holder who said that once the Confederacy gained its independence, it would mean the end of slavery. The Confederate Cabinet agreed to abolish slavery within five years after the cessation of hostilities in exchange for recognition by Britain and France. Southerners were not fighting to preserve slavery, but simply and solely because they were being invaded. And the North certainly did not invade to abolish slavery.

Nor should this be surprising considering the Negrophobia that prevailed everywhere in the North. It was assumed by the vast majority of Americans, North and South, that America was a white European polity, and that the Indian and African populations were not—and were never to be—full participants in that polity. For example, blacks were excluded from the western territories.

Mises Daily Mises Institute

Forum List

Back