Light Waves..WTF????

HUGGY

I Post Because I Care
Mar 24, 2009
Seattle at large...Ballard lately
All other waves in nature need a medium to propagate. How do light and other pure energy and electromagnetic waves maintain integrity in the vacuum of space with no medium to interact with?

Google answer is lame...

"electromagnetic waves do not need any medium because they don't transfer energy through the medium. sound on the other hand just transfers energy to the air molecules making them vibrate and transfer energy to adjacent molecules etc till they reach your ear."

One would think that photons would just disperse randomly without any inhibiting factor. The same should go for all radiated energy.

Anybody know a believable answer to this question?

It's been a long time since I studied particle physics. Light is trans-formative and moves between two states being particle and wave and this duality maintains form structure.

They do not follow the mechanical set of wave transmissions which sound follows. Thus, when in transmission they are fluidly moving from state to state with the movement holding states.

These states are not exclusive which is why they do not disperse Huggy. The transition is calculated via a tensor calculus which means there is an infinite number of points in the transmission. There is not one state moving to another state as much as there is a movement of the string of state.

There is no point of nullity that we can calculate, so it is not there to our mathematical ability at present. The point of nullity is where dispersion births.

Seriously I never thought of the details or why, just that EM, light, etc do not need a medium.
And accepted truth for me. I did study how radio waves propogate, but the medium angle was not really mentioned.
I just studied as relaing to wavelength and antennas, etc.

Cause god made em that way?

I did not even know light had hands.

But sadly, G-d doesn't describe which is why we need the sciences :)

Maybe I need to say begins instead of births. :razz:

What is truly interesting to me is that the point of intersection on the tensor (4th dimension) is not in our frame of reference.

This tells me that there is a single point in a single transmission where the particle -->wave : wave --> particle is not in our frame of reference.

Cause god made em that way?

I did not even know light had hands.

I undergetit!!! Hands..waves...:lol: :lol: Yuk..Yuk...Yuk...

Yep waves are interesting in that they are not really waves but combinations of amplitude and time.

OK amplitude is a function of power or energy and time is the function of frequency ala the Doppler effect or red shift.

Still doesn't explain the turn back on itself in amplitude. SOMETHING must be out there for it to bounce off of... you would think.

I undergetit!!! Hands..waves...:lol: :lol: Yuk..Yuk...Yuk...

Yep waves are interesting in that they are not really waves but combinations of amplitude and time.

OK amplitude is a function of power or energy and time is the function of frequency ala the Doppler effect or red shift.

Still doesn't explain the turn back on itself in amplitude. SOMETHING must be out there for it to bounce off of... you would think.

That's the interesting part I am writing about Huggy. When the change occurs fully, it's not in our universe for that single reference point.

There's nothing to turn back and there's nothing to change.

Until it has changed and is back in our reference point.

:eek:

That's the interesting part I am writing about Huggy. When the change occurs fully, it's not in our universe for that single reference point.

So you are suggesting that in the peak of amplitude the energy penetrates another dimension and is somehow rejected or re-energized back into our world(universe)?

I was guessing it was proof of dark matter. Sort of a trampoline effect in the fabric of the universe. Christ onna cracker!! We already know light bends..why not bounce?

Last edited:

So you are suggesting that in the peak of amplitude the energy penetrates another dimension and is somehow rejected or re-energized back into our world(universe)?

I was guessing it was proof of dark matter. Sort of a trampoline effect in the fabric of the universe. Christ onna cracker!! We already know light bends..why not bounce?

It is proof of movement out of our sphere of reference with many believing it to be inter-dimensional . So are event singularities. The mathematics follows for both of these events.

Good that you make the jump that quickly. And yes, why not?

As a catcher I rarely experienced the phenomena of light and sound but one afternoon in high school one of our teamates convinced the coach to let him play each position during one game. So, I ended up in left field.
Wouldn't you know it, the first batter blasts one on a line right at me. I saw it and a bit later I heard the crack of the bat.
Now, I can't answer Huggy's question; it is way over my head (the line drive was not, I caught it) but I learned then that good outfielders don't get a jump on a ball at the crack of the bat, they are moving before they hear it.
Off topic, but I thought everyone ought to know.

It is proof of movement out of our sphere of reference with many believing it to be inter-dimensional . So are event singularities. The mathematics follows for both of these events.

Good that you make the jump that quickly. And yes, why not?

That's cuz I'm a Froggy MoFo cuz!! :lol: :lol: :lol: My youngest brother and I go on and on with this shit for hours on the telephone. Been working it over for about 40 years. It forced me to get unlimited minutes...:lol: :lol: :lol: He has some very interesting theories on black holes and is in communication with some of the best minds in the country(NASA, MIT) on this subject matter. It's fun to share these bold theory's with someone that can keep up and/or carry the ball down the court ahead..

Quantum Mechanics and Event Singularities have intrigued me since I began reading Isaac Asimov. I see the "dark" connection as do you.

Soon I will finally know :lol:

I learned then that good outfielders don't get a jump on a ball at the crack of the bat, they are moving before they hear it.

And often the pitcher still doesn't get out of the way in time. :)

Quantum Mechanics and Event Singularities have intrigued me since I began reading Isaac Asimov. I see the "dark" connection as do you.

Soon I will finally know :lol:

I learned then that good outfielders don't get a jump on a ball at the crack of the bat, they are moving before they hear it.

And often the pitcher still doesn't get out of the way in time. :)

It could account for a lot of things including the REAL cause of gravity....as a pushing back effect by being displaced by the density of mass. Most thought is that gravity is a function from the inside reaching out. What if it is really the outside pushing back?

Last edited:
It could account for a lot of things including the REAL cause of gravity....as a pushing back effect by being displaced by the density of mass. Most thought is that gravity is a function from the inside reaching out. What if it is really the outside pushing back?

Great question. :razz:

What if we are receding. Indeed. Equations are reversed to qualify correctness. Why not a function of both?

Why not is far more interesting than why. It is the natural progression. Find out what is not and you are left with what possibly is.

Great question. :razz:

What if we are receding. Indeed. Equations are reversed to qualify correctness. Why not a function of both?

Why not is far more interesting than why. It is the natural progression. Find out what is not and you are left with what possibly is.

The equal sign doesn't care. :lol: The easy test would be if the earths tides would react the same way if the force was applied from outside in instead of the other way around.

Last edited:

The equal sign doesn't care. :lol:

Indeed. :lol:
The easy test would be if the earths tides would react the same way if the force was applied from outside in instead of the other way around.

I think that we would have to stop the Universe to test that theory. :razz:

And according to the Big Bang (Or Big Crunch) theory....

image038.jpg

But you knew that when you posted it :razz:

Hence the "Easy"... :tongue:

Let me see if I'm understanding at least the beginning of the conversation, this is all outside my usual interests/experience.

Light waves (and other energy waves) continue to move without dispersing even through vacuum, and Huggy was curious why that is true when other waves, such as sound waves, need some kind of matter to maintain their movement. It was then proposed that it is the wave form itself that allows the lack of dispersion; light changes from particle to wave and back again and this conversion is what maintains the movement without it dispersing. The next question is how this recurring change occurs, that is seems it would only change from one form to another and not back again. Finally, the hypothesis is that at some point before it changes back to the original form, it interacts with something outside our ability to observe, possibly another dimension, and this interaction causes the change back to the original form.

Did I get close there?

Interesting discussion, even if some of it leaves me scratching my head :lol:

I've somehow never gotten around to reading any Asimov. Have you ever read any Greg Bear? He's a pretty good storyteller who sometimes delves into more of the 'hard' sci-fi.

Forum List

Back