Let's Talk Eggplant

I could live off of eggplant. It's my favorite. I am going to try grow my own eggplant this year. The lemon tree and eggplant would be all I need. This is what I could live off of:
20220118_043657.jpg

There is a dish that in the US is called rollatini that I want to learn to make. It takes the same cheese mixture used in lasagna or stuffed shells and it is rolled up in eggplant. It's a different filling and a different name in Italy. I think it's involtini.

This recipe is pretty good:

JustAnotherNut

Can’t describe the taste but it is like any other veggie in my opinion.

I use it in pasta dishes bake it with cheese on it and it can be put in soups…

As for growing I have no idea but I would figure like any other squash type plant it need a mild climate and is most likely a spring to early summer plant…

JustAnotherNut

Can’t describe the taste but it is like any other veggie in my opinion.

I use it in pasta dishes bake it with cheese on it and it can be put in soups…

As for growing I have no idea but I would figure like any other squash type plant it need a mild climate and is most likely a spring to early summer plant…

Do you peel it first or no?

Eggplant parm rings

slice 1/2-3/4" think rings

de-seed the middle

egg & bread

place on baking sheet

fill with parm cheese, onions, pep's ,shrooms

top w/ sauce & mozza

bake 375F 25 min's

~S~

It's very good. Also called an "aubergine" Easy to grow, plants need a support, only 2 or 3 on a plant. Oh yeah these little bugs will clean your leaves out. Natural like spray milk then powder cayene,, or 7 or whatever.

Yes eggplant parmesano. Slice, some salt and let the moisture come out. Good as parm, milk dip then flour dredge,, then egg dip then crumbs dredge (italian). Fry, then sauce and meat layers and cheese in a baking dish or use it just fried on sammiches or pizza. Greek places call it "mousaka"

I have also just cut it up and use it in currys.

Eggplants, those purple things considered a vegetable.......I've never eaten it before. So what does it taste like? Do you like it? What recipes do you use it in??

And as a bonus question........have you ever grown it in your garden? How easy/difficult is it to grow??

Any & all info would be greatly appreciated as I'm trying to include something new in the garden and at the table. TIA:)
Glad to see your interest in eggplant. I happen to be a healthfood enthusiast, so I am into veggies. I also spent almost a decade living in Sicily, so I've had the best of the best foods and cooking. Eggplant is one of my favorite veggies, and I highly recommend adding them to your garden. You'll see the larger melon shaped eggplant being used in pasta and Moussaka, and the slimmer Japanese eggplant being grilled and served with Mediterranean dishes and kabob.

Glad to see your interest in eggplant. I happen to be a healthfood enthusiast, so I am into veggies. I also spent almost a decade living in Sicily, so I've had the best of the best foods and cooking. Eggplant is one of my favorite veggies, and I highly recommend adding them to your garden. You'll see the larger melon shaped eggplant being used in pasta and Moussaka, and the slimmer Japanese eggplant being grilled and served with Mediterranean dishes and kabob.

Before I plant any, I'm going to buy some from the store to try to see if I even like the stuff. Won't be the same, but should give me an idea

Before I plant any, I'm going to buy some from the store to try to see if I even like the stuff. Won't be the same, but should give me an idea
I'd try it at a restaurant too, since it isn't exciting raw. It is also a bit tricky to cook. Once you have it cooked right by a pro, you may have a more accurate idea of what it is.

New Topics

Forum List

Back