Let's Talk Eggplant

Closer to okra, fried. You can't force feed me sprouts or asparagus.

I hated brussel sprouts for years, but eventually tried some fried with some bacon & onions. YUM. Asparagus is wonderful too.

Okra is kinda tricky.......I'm not so fond of getting slimed while eating, but dredged in some seasoned cornmeal & fried isn't too bad

Eggplants, those purple things considered a vegetable.......I've never eaten it before. So what does it taste like? Do you like it? What recipes do you use it in??

And as a bonus question........have you ever grown it in your garden? How easy/difficult is it to grow??

Any & all info would be greatly appreciated as I'm trying to include something new in the garden and at the table. TIA:)

This place has the best eggplant parm.
Just up the street from the CBOT.

Mostly just sliced, fried, in mixture of flour and cornmeal as you might do okra. My mother and grandmother raised it most years. If you can grow watermelon you can grow eggplant, though you probably need to stake it like tomatoes.

I'm in the PNW & watermelon is quite the challenge. Though one year I did get one about the size of an extra large egg.

Hmmm......I think I'll just have to buy one and try it and hope to not choke & die

Oh come on, just try a bite.

iu

That looks more like lasagna than parm......are you trying the old switcheroo????

I liken it to fried summer squash taste wise. Slice super thin, bread it, fry it. But I did it rarely. I mean...really rare. Like, once a year maybe.

Eggplants are part of the nightshade family. Nightshades contain alkaloids, including solanine, which can be toxic. Solanine protects these plants while they are still developing. Eating the leaves or tubers of these plants can lead to symptoms such as burning in the throat, nausea and vomiting, and heart arrhythmias.

Take your pick! There's more information about eggplants in these three links than you'll ever need to know. I eat them raw and cooked. Eat the purple skin, not just the meat of the plant. They are good to eat if prepared while fresh.

Never eat a moldy eggplant.

Thank you. And I never eat anything moldy, not even cheese........gotta cut that stuff off first

I'm in the PNW & watermelon is quite the challenge. Though one year I did get one about the size of an extra large egg.
My parent and grandparents were very good gardeners. They came up from the time when you put up what you were going to need for the winter on the farm. Me? Not so much.

I liken it to fried summer squash taste wise. Slice super thin, bread it, fry it. But I did it rarely. I mean...really rare. Like, once a year maybe.

Eggplants are part of the nightshade family. Nightshades contain alkaloids, including solanine, which can be toxic. Solanine protects these plants while they are still developing. Eating the leaves or tubers of these plants can lead to symptoms such as burning in the throat, nausea and vomiting, and heart arrhythmias.

Thanks......yes eggplants are like tomatoes, peppers & potatoes, also of the nightshades, and never eat anything other than the 'fruits'. Though potatoes are tubers and we eat those all the time

Forum List

Back