led zeppelin being sued for plagiarism over "stairway to heaven"

shart_attack

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
hangin' with my bro e.coli
Kory Grow, Rolling Stone—As Led Zeppelin promote the extravagant reissues of their first three albums for an early June release, a lawyer representing deceased Spirit guitarist Randy California is claiming the hard-rock legends stole the intro for their 1971 single "Stairway to Heaven" from Spirit's 1968 song "Taurus." Attorney Francis Alexander Molofiy wants to prevent the release of the Led Zeppelin IV reissue when the time comes, Bloomberg Businessweek reports. "The idea behind this is to make sure that Randy California is given a writing credit on 'Stairway to Heaven,'" Malofiy said. "It's been a long time coming."

Led Zeppelin and Spirit, who had a hit with "I Got a Line on You," played four gigs together in 1968 and 1969 (shows at which Businessweek claims Spirit played "Taurus"). Led Zeppelin also reportedly played a medley of songs that included Spirit's "Fresh-Garbage" – a song that appeared on the same LP side as "Taurus" – on their first U.S. tour.

In an interview with Listener magazine published the year of his death, California said he felt "Stairway to Heaven" was a "rip-off." "The guys made millions of bucks on it and never said 'Thank you,' never said, 'Can we pay you some money for it?'" he said. "It's kind of a sore point with me. Maybe someday their conscience will make them do something about it."

Spirit and California's family have waited until now to challenge the song's authorship because they did not have the means to pay attorneys. At the end of California's life, he would play sitar at an Indian restaurant in exchange for food.

A rep for Led Zeppelin declined to comment for Businessweek's story, but Page discussed the band's history with crediting songwriters after the fact in a recent interview with The New York Times. When asked why the group waited to credit Willie Dixon for bits of lyrics and melody that made their way into "Whole Lotta Love," he acknowledged, "Within the lyrics of it, there's [Dixons's] "You Need Love," and there are similarities within the lyrics. Now I'm not pointing a finger at anybody, but I'm just saying that's what happened, and Willie Dixon got credit. Fair enough."

Reissues of Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin II and Led Zeppelin III are due in stores on June 3rd. Each is available in a deluxe edition that contains a full disc of never-before-released studio takes and live tracks.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd8AVbwB_6E]Spirit, Taurus[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcL---4xQYA]Led Zeppelin, Stairway to Heaven[/ame]

https://music.yahoo.com/news/led-ze...geted-plagiarism-181041510-rolling-stone.html

Last edited:
Their entire first album was "semi-plagiarized" -- it wasn't until more recent printings of LZ 1 that they gave credit to the musicians who inspired/authored those riffs. Page changed the riffs, made them his own, but they do sound similar.

Not only have the famous riffs come under fire, but so have the lyrics. The allegations have brought several lawsuits as well, most of them settled out of court very discretely. In the case of “Whole Lotta Love”, the song credits were later amended to include Willie Dixon, who claimed Robert Plant used lyrics from his song “You Need Love”. Look at the credits on “Babe I’m Gonna Leave You”, and you’ll notice folk singer Anne Bredon right next to Page. She’s been receiving royalties (back payments included) since 1990.

The examples go on and on. Some are blatant copies, some don’t hold ground. The similarities are just as many as the differences, so the arguments could go on for days. The truth is, Zeppelin’s music is a collection of parts, some original, some borrowed. Trying to conclude whether or not they are rip-offs is left to the listener.

Re: Stairway to Heaven -

Note for note, it's not the same riff -- similar, but not the same. Stairway to Heaven is more than just one riff. It's a rock masterpiece.

Remember the scene in the film Amadeus when Motzart recomposed one of Salieri's pieces on the fly -- turing a boring little piece in something of value. That's what genius does.

Their entire first album was "semi-plagiarized" -- it wasn't until more recent printings of LZ 1 that they gave credit to the musicians who inspired/authored those riffs. Page changed the riffs, made them his own, but they do sound similar.

Not only have the famous riffs come under fire, but so have the lyrics. The allegations have brought several lawsuits as well, most of them settled out of court very discretely. In the case of “Whole Lotta Love”, the song credits were later amended to include Willie Dixon, who claimed Robert Plant used lyrics from his song “You Need Love”. Look at the credits on “Babe I’m Gonna Leave You”, and you’ll notice folk singer Anne Bredon right next to Page. She’s been receiving royalties (back payments included) since 1990.

The examples go on and on. Some are blatant copies, some don’t hold ground. The similarities are just as many as the differences, so the arguments could go on for days. The truth is, Zeppelin’s music is a collection of parts, some original, some borrowed. Trying to conclude whether or not they are rip-offs is left to the listener.

Note for note, it's not the same riff -- similar, but not the same. Stairway to Heaven is more than just one riff. It's a rock masterpiece.

Remember the scene in the film Amadeus when Motzart recomposed one of Salieri's pieces on the fly -- turing a boring little piece in something of value. That's what genius does.

Last edited by a moderator:

Umm, yeah it does — matter.

I guess you didn't read that Zep and Spirit played a few shows together back in '69.

Clearly, Randy California and Spirit have a claim here.

We do, after all, live in Obama's America.

(I'll let you figure out what that means.)

"Genius" in a thread about Led Zeppelin? Really? :rofl:

Hate to admit it, because Jimmy Plagiarist and Robber Plant have been the worst nickers in the business, but Taurus to Stairway is a stretch. A minor chord with descending bass, big whoop. Far less egregious than the rest of the shit they really did steal.

This is only "part 1" (of four):

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyvLsutfI5M"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyvLsutfI5M[/ame]

I guess you didn't read that Zep and Spirit played a few shows together back in '69.

Randy California's been dead for 17 years, but OK...

Kory Grow, Rolling Stone—As Led Zeppelin promote the extravagant reissues of their first three albums for an early June release, a lawyer representing deceased Spirit guitarist Randy California is claiming the hard-rock legends stole the intro for their 1971 single "Stairway to Heaven" from Spirit's 1968 song "Taurus." Attorney Francis Alexander Molofiy wants to prevent the release of the Led Zeppelin IV reissue when the time comes, Bloomberg Businessweek reports. "The idea behind this is to make sure that Randy California is given a writing credit on 'Stairway to Heaven,'" Malofiy said. "It's been a long time coming."

Led Zeppelin and Spirit, who had a hit with "I Got a Line on You," played four gigs together in 1968 and 1969 (shows at which Businessweek claims Spirit played "Taurus"). Led Zeppelin also reportedly played a medley of songs that included Spirit's "Fresh-Garbage" – a song that appeared on the same LP side as "Taurus" – on their first U.S. tour.

In an interview with Listener magazine published the year of his death, California said he felt "Stairway to Heaven" was a "rip-off." "The guys made millions of bucks on it and never said 'Thank you,' never said, 'Can we pay you some money for it?'" he said. "It's kind of a sore point with me. Maybe someday their conscience will make them do something about it."

Spirit and California's family have waited until now to challenge the song's authorship because they did not have the means to pay attorneys. At the end of California's life, he would play sitar at an Indian restaurant in exchange for food.

A rep for Led Zeppelin declined to comment for Businessweek's story, but Page discussed the band's history with crediting songwriters after the fact in a recent interview with The New York Times. When asked why the group waited to credit Willie Dixon for bits of lyrics and melody that made their way into "Whole Lotta Love," he acknowledged, "Within the lyrics of it, there's [Dixons's] "You Need Love," and there are similarities within the lyrics. Now I'm not pointing a finger at anybody, but I'm just saying that's what happened, and Willie Dixon got credit. Fair enough."

Reissues of Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin II and Led Zeppelin III are due in stores on June 3rd. Each is available in a deluxe edition that contains a full disc of never-before-released studio takes and live tracks.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd8AVbwB_6E]Spirit, Taurus[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcL---4xQYA]Led Zeppelin, Stairway to Heaven[/ame]

https://music.yahoo.com/news/led-ze...geted-plagiarism-181041510-rolling-stone.html

They have no case.

At best they can claim Page got inspiration from their song.

No, they don't have a claim. There is a vague similarity, but it isn't even close to plagiarism.

Wow, been many years since I heard about this, completely forgot about it.
Definitely a lot of similiarities, and always wondered why this wasn't pursued.

It's BS. I listened to the Spirit song and it's kinda similar to Zeppelin's tune but not close enough to sue. Plus, they waited just a little TOOOOO long to sue over something like that. I bet they lose their case.

Oh boy.. I guess I'm dating myself saying this. HUGE Zep fan actually. And yes they borrowed a lot like the hard rockers of the day always did. But nobody sounds or sounded like Led Zeppelin. Their sound is like Van Halen. Witin the first few notes you know you are listening to their music. Something about it gets inside your bone marrow.

Anyway, back in the day the oldest trick in the book was the negative-promotional stunt. And this smells like that big time. Their managers and promoters would circulate news, some semi-true, some made up and some even true that "the band is breaking up" or "so and so are infighting"..etc. etc. etc. Perhaps the promoters of the new releases are worried enthusiasm for the band isn't at an all-time high.

So, a lawsuit! Of course. Fans will track its progress. News of it will swamp the net. And voila! Better sales when the lawsuit is suddenly "settled" and their name is on everyone's lips again.

Can't blame them for sticking with something that works. They still are a great band and that son of Bonham really does have that genetic drum talent that his dad did. I watched a lengthy video of their recent Florida concert [I think it was Florida?] and that young man hit ever beat like a hammer on the head of a million nails.

There's a great YouTube interview where Robert Plant talks about meeting Elvis.

Sent from smartphone using my wits and Taptalk

Hate to admit it, because Jimmy Plagiarist and Robber Plant have been the worst nickers in the business, but Taurus to Stairway is a stretch. A minor chord with descending bass, big whoop. Far less egregious than the rest of the shit they really did steal.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyvLsutfI5M"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyvLsutfI5M[/ame]

Everybody plagiarizes from everybody else in entertainment. Even the "greatest of them all"

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvZGl1NqBRc]Bob Fosse Michael Jackson Pas de Deux - YouTube[/ame]

Wow, been many years since I heard about this, completely forgot about it.
Definitely a lot of similiarities, and always wondered why this wasn't pursued.

Musically I never thought there was a case here (ironically the rare case of a LZ song that they wrote themselves) but the long gap in time may doom the suit anyway.

Years ago a lady came to the door of the radio station where I worked and greeted me wtih "Hi, I'm Kid Ory's daughter". "Hey, I'm Louis Armstrong's grandfather" I answered, but it turned out she really was Babette Ory, and was on a campaign to sue Country Joe McDonald for ripping off her father's "Muskrat Ramble" to make the "I Feel Like I'm Fixin' to Die Rag".

Now, listening to the two songs, there's little doubt the Orys are correct, that McDonald did indeed rip off "Muskrat". But the case was thrown out on what's called a "laches" defense, meaning that if the Orys knew of the offending song way back in the 1970s, they should have brought the suit then, and the court threw it out and let McDonald off.

Here's a vocal version of Muskrat Ramble - the pertinent part begins at 0:31 where you can overlay McDonald's lyrics "and it's one, two, three, what are we fightin' for..." Dead ringer. That's the most strikingly obvious passage but the whole song structure is ripped off:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7I1EC0eThw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7I1EC0eThw[/ame]

Last edited:

Just curious...Googling "Led Zeppelin Plagerism" doesn't produce much; any sites on this issue?

Or how about....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjm8Wr22i3k]Mexican Breakfast/Single Ladies (bob fosse/beyonce) - YouTube[/ame]

Everybody plagiarizes from everybody else in entertainment. Even the "greatest of them all"

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvZGl1NqBRc]Bob Fosse Michael Jackson Pas de Deux - YouTube[/ame]

Everybody borrows, rehashes, covers, imitates, whatever. The problem comes when you take something that some other artist clearly composed, and instead put your own name on it and collect the royalties that rightly belonged to that composer.

As LZ did with
  • Whole Lotta Love
  • Babe I'm gonna Leave You
  • You Shook Me
  • Dazed and Confused
  • Black Mountain Side (arrangement, and even two thirds of the title)
  • When the Levee Breaks
  • The Lemon Song (taken from two different artists)
  • Boogie with Stu
  • Bring it On Home
-- and a bunch of other songs.

Use the material you want, but don't try to pass it off as your own.

Just curious...Googling "Led Zeppelin Plagerism" doesn't produce much; any sites on this issue?

First you gotta spell it right: "plagiarism"

Put those three words into YouTube, you'll get a lot to choose from. The Howard Stern show goes through a lot if you find that one.

Oddly, LZ made only number 5 here: The 5 Most Famous Musicians who are Thieving Bastards

Forum List

Back