Lantern Lighting at Green Lake in Seattle To Commemorate The U.S. Bombing of Hiroshima

View attachment 678869

Today is the 77th anniversary of the dropping of the first atomic bomb on the city of Hiroshima, Japan by the United States effectively bringing to an end World War II. A second bomb however was dropped on Nagasaki 3 days thereafter. Japan subsequently surrendered on August 15th 1945.
An event commemorating this grave anniversary was held today at Green Lake in Seattle.

“FROM HIROSHIMA TO HOPE” ANNUAL LANTERN FLOATING PEACE CEREMONY @ GREEN LAKE

FAMILY PROGRAM

Saturday, August 6, 2022 | 6 - 9 PM PDT | FREE, DONATIONS WELCOME
Candle-lit lanterns will bring messages of peace and hope in this annual event that honors victims of the 1945 atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and all victims of violence. Lanterns will be provided and personalized with calligraphy by members of the Beikuku Shodo Kenkyu Kai (Japanese) and the Gurudwara Singh Sabha of Washington and Khalsa Gurmat School (Gurmukhi). The event will take place just south of the Seattle Public Theater (aka Bathhouse Theater), on Green Lake’s NW shore, at West Green Lake Drive North and Stone Ave North.​
Happy Nagasaki Day!

I think it is some sort of troll game. I think they get off on having your post links to shit that everyone knows, but that they can then just dismiss, and stonewall by spouting bullshit and nonsense.

More and more, I see them as sophists who think that any words, in the form of a counter point, counts as the same, regardless of whether or not it is true or even makes any sense at all.

The simple fact is the Japanese Army wasn't ready to surrender, and the Navy and the civilian leadership didn't have the pull to get them to change their mind until AFTER the bombs were dropped and the Emperor stepped in.

Hirohito's decision to make himself and the others "endure the unendurable" led to MacAurthur being able to convince the allies to make Hirohito a partner in rebuilding Japan, and not try him as a war criminal.

Certain weak-minded people react emotionally to anything that so much as questions a comfortable narrative they were fed as children.

Children are supposed to grow up at some point.

Happy Nagasaki Day!

I wouldn't be that sarcastic, but it did stop my Grandfather from having to be part of the 2nd wave of the Japan Invasion, as well as shut the Soviets out from the occupation.

Can one imagine the cold war with a "North Japan" and "South Japan"?

I wouldn't be that sarcastic, but it did stop my Grandfather from having to be part of the 2nd wave of the Japan Invasion, as well as shut the Soviets out from the occupation.

Can one imagine the cold war with a "North Japan" and "South Japan"?
I’d be that sarcastic and I am. Best friends dad was in the Imperial Army, talked to him about it, several American friends who were preparing for the invasion as well. Nagasaki was required because as we saw after Hiroshima, Japan was not ready to surrender. And five months prior every Japanese child 15 and up was in the military with no uniform, making everyone a military target. There were no civilians in Japan in 1945.

I’d be that sarcastic and I am. Best friends dad was in the Imperial Army, talked to him about it, several American friends who were preparing for the invasion as well. Nagasaki was required because as we saw after Hiroshima, Japan was not ready to surrender. And five months prior every Japanese child 15 and up was in the military with no uniform, making everyone a military target. There were no civilians in Japan in 1945.

They were being prepped with pikes and such. The idea they had I guess was to inflict such casualties on the US that the US would seek peace on the 4 terms the army outlined.

The Navy was defeated by then, but the Army still had millions of men under arms.

They were being prepped with pikes and such. The idea they had I guess was to inflict such casualties on the US that the US would seek peace on the 4 terms the army outlined.

The Navy was defeated by then, but the Army still had millions of men under arms.
Just as we saw on islands such as Okinawa. It wasn’t about winning the battle, it was about inflicting tremendous casualties on us making the war weary public push for a negotiated peace.

Just as we saw on islands such as Okinawa. It wasn’t about winning the battle, it was about inflicting tremendous casualties on us making the war weary public push for a negotiated peace.

Especially since the war in Europe was over and by then the American anger over Pearl Harbor was probably satisfied by the overall ass kicking we were giving their Navy by that time.

Yes, people lying often say that about those asking them to support even one tiny thing they claimed.
“For 2,000 years Japan had never been defeated. There was no word for "surrender" in the Japanese dictionary. And although the Japanese government never believed it could defeat the United States, it did intend to negotiate an end to the war on favorable terms.”

The Last Stand
The invaders who made it to shore would face Imperial Army divisions expected, as always, to fight to the last man. Civilians were recruited to fight alongside the soldiers with sharpened bamboo spears. The government held up as a model to civilians on the main islands the civilians on Saipan who had jumped off cliffs rather than surrender.”

"In their war gaming of Ketsu-Go, the Japanese had worked out that they could destroy up to a third of the invasion force while it was still afloat. If you consider how General [George] Marshall recoiled when he saw the defense buildup in early August, I think the Japanese had a substantial basis to believe that Ketsu-Go could deliver something to them better than unconditional surrender."

Final Days
“On July 27, when Japan's government ignored an Allied ultimatum from Potsdam, warning of "prompt and utter destruction" unless it surrendered unconditionally, it was still waiting to hear from Moscow.”

Your throbbing guilt is embarrassing to see.

After a summer of intense bombing their means of communicating were almost non existent. The Japanese were meeting to discuss the issue of surrender when the 2nd bomb was dropped. Make friends with a book or two.
BULLLLLLSHIIIIIT! Take your moronic version of history and shove it up your stupid retard ass.

Your throbbing guilt is embarrassing to see.
Zero guilt zero remorse.

Ketsu-Go

Japanese Mass Suicides​

Operation Ketsu-Go​

In the meantime, “the Emperor on a faraway island” continued to call for suicidal defensive battle strategies. He hoped that the atrocities would persuade America to negotiate a compromise rather than an unconditional surrender, according to historian John W. Dower. Emperor Hirohito actively chose an “all-out defense of Okinawa” to showcase Japan’s willingness to fight to the end, ignoring advice to end the war.

As stories of Saipan and Okinawa reached the American public, the lasting effect was indeed a deep disturbance over the Japanese mindset as the public heard stories of kamikaze pilots plummeting to their deaths, and of mass suicides committed by members of the military and civilians.

“In ’45, we knew about Guadalcanal, we knew about Iwo Jima, we knew about Okinawa,” said Richard Yalman in an interview with the Atomic Heritage on 2015. “People are going to do kamikaze, every one of them is going to be a kamikaze. We knew that, and it would be just terrible.”

I hope you'll educate yourself. :)
I am already fully educated. That is why it was so easy for me to debunk your untrue claims.

It's denial steeped in exceptionalism, and it's ultimately indistinguishable from (for instance) the justifications offered by bin Laden and his adherents for 9/11.
The World Trade Center attack deliberately targeted civilians. That is quite a bit different from dropping atomic bombs on military targets.

Exactly; the denial is staggering.
It is proper that your untrue claims are denied.

Forum List

Back