Kurt Russell nails it

Natural Citizen

American Made
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 8, 2016
This is probably one of the better ''mater of fact'' kind of casual responses that I've heard regarding the matter. The interviewer tried to frame the discussion in a completely intellectually dishonest way by saying that guns are a metaphor that ''disenfranchised white guys need'' and that ''It makes them feel good.''

Russell's response, taken from the dialogue in the video. I only quoted a couple of snippets from the dialogue so you have to listen to the whole thing to really appreciate how well Russell shut him down. Russell effectively made a mockery of the interviewer's arguments.

“Yeah, I don’t understand the concepts of conversation of 'the gun culture.' We’ve lived with guns since what the seventh century or something. I don’t know.''

''They can get cars and run you over with em. What are you gonna do about that?''

They can get knives and stab you with em. What are you gonna do about that?

''What are you gonna do? Outlaw everything?

''Look, if you think gun control or something like that is going to change a terrorist’s point of view I think you’re, like, out of your mind...I think it’s absolutely insane.''

''The problem we’re having right now is that we don’t have the concepts of how to turn it around and say, 'You know, you may think you’ve got me worried about what you’re gonna do, dude. You’re about to find out what I’m gonna do,' and that’s gonna worry you a lot more.''

''And that’s what we need, that will change the concept of 'gun culture' as you call it to something of reality''

Last edited:
Snake Pliskin always nails it....

ChaoticNeutralPliskin.jpg

This is probably one of the better ''mater of fact'' kind of casual responses that I've heard regarding the matter. The interviewer tried to frame the discussion in a completely intellectually dishonest way by saying that guns are a metaphor that ''disenfranchised white guys need'' and that ''It makes them feel good.''

Russell's response, taken from the dialogue in the video. I only quoted a couple of snippets from the dialogue so you have to listen to the whole thing to really appreciate how well Russell shut him down. Russell effectively made a mockery of the interviewer's arguments.

“Yeah, I don’t understand the concepts of conversation of 'the gun culture.' We’ve lived with guns since what the seventh century or something. I don’t know.''

''They can get cars and run you ver with em. What are you gonna do about that?''

''Look, if you think gun control or something like that is going to change a terrorist’s point of view I think you’re, like, out of your mind...I think it’s absolutely insane.''

''The problem we’re having right now is that we don’t have the concepts of how to turn it around and say, 'You know, you may think you’ve got me worried about what you’re gonna do, dude. You’re about to find out what I’m gonna do,' and that’s gonna worry you a lot more.''

''And that’s what we need, that will change the concept of 'gun culture' as you call it to something of reality''

It's the same dishonest crap you children spew all the time.

Shrug.

''They can get cars and run you over with em. What are you gonna do about that?''

BTW, Tombstone isn't the best western in history....lt's nowhere near Outlaw Josey Wales or Once Upon a Time in the West....Just sayin'.

The irony of the Twitter user using Tombstone as a reference for how cool Kurt Russell is for being pro gun is, Wyatt Earp was actually helping his brother enforce a local ordinance against having guns in town, in other words, dum, dum, dummm..... "gun control."

As for what Russell had to say, he's wrong, dead wrong. There will always always be people who think they can get the drop on you whether they know you have guns yourself or not. Just two weeks ago, I literally saw on the news, two black guys randomly try to take a uniformed cop's gun away from him, while he was buying something in a convenience store. They themselves had no weapons at all. It didn't matter that they could just visit the next state over where you could purchase a gun legally without background checks, permits, licenses or waiting periods. A criminal isn't going to be deterred by the fact that you may have a gun if he can get one just as easily. In the example I just gave, they're not even deterred when they don't even have a gun and you do! In the film, Tombstone, all the gang had to do was surrender their guns till they left town and that would have been the end. Instead they chose to have a gun fight and risk death, or at the very least risk killing a town marshal and his deputies and be on the run for the rest of their lives. Criminals aren't deterred by guns, jail, long sentences, or even the death penalty. In Texas, where guns are revered and gun ownership is skyrocketing, gun violence is going up, not down!

The irony of the Twitter user using Tombstone as a reference for how cool Kurt Russell is for being pro gun is, Wyatt Earp was actually helping his brother enforce a local ordinance against having guns in town, in other words, dum, dum, dummm..... "gun control."

As for what Russell had to say, he's wrong, dead wrong. There will always always be people who think they can get the drop on you whether they know you have guns yourself or not. Just two weeks ago, I literally saw on the news, two black guys randomly try to take a uniformed cop's gun away from him, while he was buying something in a convenience store. They themselves had no weapons at all. It didn't matter that they could just visit the next state over where you could purchase a gun legally without background checks, permits, licenses or waiting periods. A criminal isn't going to be deterred by the fact that you may have a gun if he can get one just as easily. In the example I just gave, they're not even deterred when they don't even have a gun and you do! In the film, Tombstone, all the gang had to do was surrender their guns till they left town and that would have been the end. Instead they chose to have a gun fight and risk death, or at the very least risk killing a town marshal and his deputies and be on the run for the rest of their lives. Criminals aren't deterred by guns, jail, long sentences, or even the death penalty. In Texas, where guns are revered and gun ownership is skyrocketing, gun violence is going up, not down!

And you dont know what you are talking about.

Tombstone shows the failure of gun control….the ordinances were routinely ignoere, in particular by Doc Holiday and the Cowboys, and Earp was shot to death and another was maimed when he was shot.

And no, as those black guys are actual criminals, they couldnt just go to another state to get around background checks since a federal background check is mandatory for all legal sales at locensed gun dealers.

Americans use their legal guns 1.1 million times a year, on Average to stop rapes, robberies, murders, beatings and stabbings…according to the CDC.

Most of the time, twit, the criminals run away, surrender, or are simpky wounded when shot. There are about 235 really stupid criminals a year who are shot and killed by the people they attack.

Considering that democrat prosecutors, judges and politicians keep lowering sentnces for gun crimes by criminals, releasing violent repeat offenders from jail and prison over and over again, the only real deterrent is an armed citizen. At least that attack is generally stopped, only to have the criminal go on to another victim.

Women and minorities are currently the biggest growth sectors for both owning and carrying guns……so the anti-gun extremist interviewing Russel is just a typical moron.

You have no idea what you are talking about.......an armed citizen has a better chance of fighting off violent criminals than an unarmed citizen does.....as the number of defensive gun uses each year show..........millions of times a year Americans stop rape, robbery, murder, beatings and stabbings.....because they have access to, and carry guns.......

Most criminals run away when confronted by a gun......there are really stupid criminals who will keep attacking...which just shows that without the gun, you are at their mercy........you twit........

You don't know what you are talking about.....

Chicago police say the man was simply walking down a street on the city’s north side around 4:20 Tuesday morning when two vehicles drove up and stopped in front of him. An armed suspect then popped out of one of the cars and demanded the 23-year-old hand over the contents of his pockets. Instead, the concealed carry holder drew his own firearm and fired several rounds, with the suspect shooting back before hopping back in the car and taking off with his compatriots.

No suspects have been taken into custody, but CWB Chicago reports there were several other robberiesreported in the area that the crew may have been responsible for.
-------

This is at least the third defensive gun use to be reported in Chicago in a little more than a week. As my colleague Tom Knighton reported, last Monday night another concealed carry holder fired shots at an armed robber who held up a Mexican restaurant, while a lawfully armed citizen was forced to defend himself over the weekend when he spotted his stolen car and the individuals inside fired shots as he confronted them. The crew ended up speeding away from the scene, but totaled the stolen SUV just a short distance away.

And you dont know what you are talking about.

Tombstone shows the failure of gun control….the ordinances were routinely ignoere, in particular by Doc Holiday and the Cowboys, and Earp was shot to death and another was maimed when he was shot.

And no, as those black guys are actual criminals, they couldnt just go to another state to get around background checks since a federal background check is mandatory for all legal sales at locensed gun dealers.

Americans use their legal guns 1.1 million times a year, on Average to stop rapes, robberies, murders, beatings and stabbings…according to the CDC.

Most of the time, twit, the criminals run away, surrender, or are simpky wounded when shot. There are about 235 really stupid criminals a year who are shot and killed by the people they attack.

Considering that democrat prosecutors, judges and politicians keep lowering sentnces for gun crimes by criminals, releasing violent repeat offenders from jail and prison over and over again, the only real deterrent is an armed citizen. At least that attack is generally stopped, only to have the criminal go on to another victim.

I'm just talking about the film, not what happened for real. And you're right, they were ignored. i guess I'm also guilty of referencing a tiny bit of history instead of the film, which actually helps my case even more. Having permit less open carry, no background checks, no waiting periods, no license, etc. is the modern day equivalent of allowing anyone in town to carry.

Gun sales don't just happen at a store licensed to sell them. Private sales happen everywhere, in states with lax gun control. A 13 year old can buy a gun at a show if he wanted, with nothing more than cash, which is precisely what happened in an undercover video I watched awhile back. That is how easy it is to buy a gun across state lines. Over half of guns used in crimes in Illinois were bought outside the state. Even if a criminal doesn't travel outside the state themselves they probably know a seller who does. It all amounts to the same thing in the end.

1.1 million times? :auiqs.jpg: Assuming that's remotely true, why are we as a country no safer? Gee, isn't that the whole point? More guns equal much safer society, right? Texas has over a million guns all by themselves. Why is crime running amok in texas and growing? Why is gun homicide skyrocketing in Texas even though they're making it easier for you to get a gun? Homicides have gone up nearly 50% in that state. I thought more guns was supposed to make us safer? lol

I'm just talking about the film, not what happened for real. And you're right, they were ignored. i guess I'm also guilty of referencing a tiny bit of history instead of the film, which actually helps my case even more. Having permit less open carry, no background checks, no waiting periods, no license, etc. is the modern day equivalent of allowing anyone in town to carry.

Gun sales don't just happen at a store licensed to sell them. Private sales happen everywhere, in states with lax gun control. A 13 year old can buy a gun at a show if he wanted, with nothing more than cash, which is precisely what happened in an undercover video I watched awhile back. That is how easy it is to buy a gun across state lines. Over half of guns used in crimes in Illinois were bought outside the state. Even if a criminal doesn't travel outside the state themselves they probably know a seller who does. It all amounts to the same thing in the end.

1.1 million times? :auiqs.jpg: Assuming that's remotely true, why are we as a country no safer? Gee, isn't that the whole point? More guns equal much safer society, right? Texas has over a million guns all by themselves. Why is crime running amok in texas and growing? Why is gun homicide skyrocketing in Texas even though they're making it easier for you to get a gun? Homicides have gone up nearly 50% in that state. I thought more guns was supposed to make us safer? lol

Yeah...bullshit......

There is no downside to allowing normal, law abiding people to carry guns without putting them in Legal Peril through red tape......criminals carry regardless of the law, and normal people shouldn't have to jump through hoops to exercise a Right....

Criminals don't use any background checks, ever, since they can't legally buy, own or carry guns....they use straw buyers.....usually family members. The number of crime guns bought at gun shows are tiny, since the areas are crawling with Feds......

And, twit........if a criminal is caught with any gun, they can already be arrested, making your point just dumb.

Can you explain to us then with Illinois why Illinois has more gun crime than Indiana? considering their criminals don't have to cross state lines? Dittos Texas, and other states bordering insane gun control states?

We are amazingly safe as a country.....

Keep in mind, Europe, registered guns in the 1920s, and by 1939 the German socialists began the process of murdering 20 million people....not war dead, not collateral from combat actions.....innocent civilians rounded up, taken to forests and death camps and murdered....

All in the span of 6 years.

Gun murder in the U.S. over our entire 247 year history averages about 2,470,000....

So you have nothing to compare us to when it comes to murder.....

Murder has gone up in Texas because the democrats have flooded the state with drug cartels, illegal aliens and human traffickers.....and they sitll have a lower gun murder rate than Illinois......

Lives saved....based on research? By law abiding gun owners using guns to stop criminals?

Case Closed: Kleck Is Still Correct

There are roughly 100,000 people shot in the United States yearly, and something over 30,000 die. If this 1/3 vs. 2/3 ratio of deaths to injuries in actual shootings pertains in these DGUs, that makes for at least 176,000 lives saved—less some attackers who lost their lives to defenders. This enormous benefit dwarfs, both in human and economic terms, the losses trumpeted by hoplophobes who only choose to see the risk side of the equation.

that makes for at least 176,000 lives saved—

==============

Gun self defense research.........

A quick guide to the studies and the numbers.....the full lay out of what was studied by each study is in the links....

The name of the group doing the study, the year of the study, the number of defensive gun uses and if police and military defensive gun uses are included.....notice the bill clinton and obama defensive gun use research is highlighted.....

GunCite-Gun Control-How Often Are Guns Used in Self-Defense

GunCite Frequency of Defensive Gun Use in Previous Surveys

Field...1976....3,052,717 ( no cops, no military)

DMIa 1978...2,141,512 ( no cops, no military)

L.A. TIMES...1994...3,609,68 ( no cops, no military)

Kleck......1994...2.5 million ( no cops, no military)

2021 national firearm survey, Prof. William English, PhD. designed by Deborah Azrael of Harvard T. Chan School of public policy, and Mathew Miller, Northeastern university.......1.67 million defensive uses annually.

CDC...1996-1998... 1.1 million averaged over those years.( no cops, no military)

Obama's CDC....2013....500,000--3million

--------------------

Bordua...1977...1,414,544

DMIb...1978...1,098,409 ( no cops, no military)

Hart...1981...1.797,461 ( no cops, no military)

Mauser...1990...1,487,342 ( no cops,no military)

Gallup...1993...1,621,377 ( no cops, no military)

DEPT. OF JUSTICE...1994...1.5 million ( the bill clinton study)

Journal of Quantitative Criminology--- 989,883 times per year."

(Based on survey data from a 2000 study published in the Journal of Quantitative Criminology,[17] U.S. civilians use guns to defend themselves and others from crime at least 989,883 times per year.[18])

Paper: "Measuring Civilian Defensive Firearm Use: A Methodological Experiment." By David McDowall and others. Journal of Quantitative Criminology, March 2000. Measuring Civilian Defensive Firearm Use: A Methodological Experiment - Springer

-------------------------------------------

Ohio...1982...771,043

Gallup...1991...777,152

Tarrance... 1994... 764,036 (no cops, no military)

Lawerence Southwich Jr. 400,000 fewer violent crimes and at least 800,000 violent crimes deterred..

2021 national firearms survey..

The survey was designed by Deborah Azrael of the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, and Matthew Miller of Northeastern University,
----
The survey further finds that approximately a third of gun owners (31.1%) have used a firearm to defend themselves or their property, often on more than one occasion, and it estimates that guns are used defensively by firearms owners in approximately 1.67 million incidents per year. Handguns are the most common firearm employed for self-defense (used in 65.9% of defensive incidents), and in most defensive incidents (81.9%) no shot was fired. Approximately a quarter (25.2%) of defensive incidents occurred within the gun owner's home, and approximately half (53.9%) occurred outside their home, but on their property. About one out of ten (9.1%) defensive gun uses occurred in public, and about one out of twenty (4.8%) occurred at work.
2021 National Firearms Survey

Clinton's study by the DOJ....

https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles/165476.pdf

Applying those restrictions leaves 19 NSPOF respondents (0.8 percent of the sample), representing 1.5 million defensive users. This estimate is directly comparable to the well-known estimate of Kleck and Gertz, shown in the last column of exhibit 7. While the NSPOF estimate is smaller, it is statistically plausible that the difference is due to sampling error. Inclusion of multiple DGUs reported by half of the 19 NSPOF respondents increases the estimate to 4.7 million DGUs.

n the third column of Table 6.2, we apply the Kleck and Gertz (1995) criteria for "genuine" DGUs (type A), leaving us with just 19 respondents. They represent 1.5 million defensive users. This estimate is directly comparable to the well-known Kleck and Gertz estimate of 2.5 million, shown in the last

While ours is smaller, it is staistically plausible that the difference is due to sampling error. to the when we include the multiple DGUs victim. defensive reported by half our 19 respondents, our estimate increases to 4.7 milli

While ours is smaller, it is statistically plausible that the difference petrator; in most cases (69 percent), the is due to sampling error. Note that when we include the multiple DGUs reported by half our 19 respondents, our estimate increases to 4.7 million DGUs.
----

As shown in Table 6.6, the defender fired his or her gun in 27 percent of these incidents (combined "fire warning shots" and "fire at perpetrator" percentages, though some respondents reported firing both warning shots and airning at the perpetrator). Forty percent of these were "warning shots," and about a third were aimed at the perpetrator but missed. The perpetrator was wounded by the crime victim in eight percent of all DGUs. In nine percent of DGUs the victim captured and held the perpetrator at gunpoint until the police could arrive.

Obama's study...

Defensive Use of Guns

Defensive use of guns by crime victims is a common occurrence, although the exact number remains disputed (Cook and Ludwig, 1996; Kleck, 2001a). Almost all national survey estimates indicate that defensive gun uses by victims are at least as common as offensive uses by criminals, with estimates of annual uses ranging from about 500,000 to more than 3 million (Kleck, 2001a), in the context of about 300,000 violent crimes involving firearms in 2008 (BJS, 2010).
National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine. 2013. Priorities for Research to Reduce the Threat of Firearm-Related Violence. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press. Priorities for Research to Reduce the Threat of Firearm-Related Violence | The National Academies Press.

Priorities for Research to Reduce the Threat of Firearm-Related Violence | Priorities for Research to Reduce the Threat of Firearm-Related Violence | The National Academies Press

No.
It allows those who can legally own a gun to carry.
The people who cannot legally own a gun already carry.
Gun sales don't just happen at a store licensed to sell them. Private sales happen everywhere, in states with lax gun control.
And private sales are impossible to control, especially those sales involving people who cannot legally own a gun.
A 13 year old can buy a gun at a show if he wanted, with nothing more than cash, which is precisely what happened in an undercover video I watched awhile back. That is how easy it is to buy a gun across state lines.
Yes -- in a free society, it's very easy to break the law.

Last edited:
BTW, Tombstone isn't the best western in history....lt's nowhere near Outlaw Josey Wales or Once Upon a Time in the West....Just sayin'.

I've never watched any of the 70s westerns. Not even the popular ones.

They just all seemed really slow and boring to me.

I did like Blazing Saddles, though...

I kind of got the feeling neither of them had a clue what they were talking about

Forum List

Back