Just ordered this sweet thing...

What in the hell sort of monstrosity is that? :dunno:

I can pull up to a camp site and be in bed within 30 seconds.
It'll withstand winds up to 74 mph and is absolutely water proof.
Oh....and you can pack it up wet or dry in about 5 minutes.
The ones that go off the back of a truck are better, IMO.

Then you're locked down at your camp site.
If you have it on the roof of your vehicle you can have it folded up and be on your way in under five minutes.
If you have it on a trailer you can just leave it as a base camp.
The whole idea is being able to spend the night and be on your way with little effort.

It only weighs around 150 and It'll spend most of it's time on a trailer designed to go off road.
So, you take this hulking abomination off the trailer and mount it atop your vehicle in 30 seconds and then go beddy-by? :dunno:

Dude are you high?
I mean I am and I still get it.
Maybe this will help....

Oh no. No no no. I'd rather have a tent thingy attached to the back of my van for extra room. On top of my car? Hayell no.

Why not just get a tent trailer? Already on wheels you just pull, then pop out and up.

You cant load much weight on em and they tend to be wet.

What is the bottom of it made of? Plastic or something?

Fiberglass encased foam.
Like a Boston whaler.

They are extremely durable.

Yes on the 8 seconds, maybe on the weather.

Can you set up to withstand a direct strike from a 900 ton meteor from space? :dunno:

Just as easily as you can suck the chrome off a trailer hitch...
Which begs the question, why pull all that shit behind your vehicle with a chrome trailer hitch only to load it on the roof? :dunno:

Aaaaah Grass Hopper...you have no imagination.
I can put the tent on the roof of my FJ and haul my 19 ft. boat,or I can haul my kayaks on a different trailer,same one I can haul the tent on, and leave the tent on the roof of the FJ. Or I can just bring the tent on the trailer for easy trips.
It opens up a whole world of camping when you have a generator and an A/C unit.
Damn dude. Just buy a fucking cabin by a lake!

Already had two places like that.
This set up is designed to take the wife and I to all corners of the the states in comfort to either find a retirement property or rule out the US and move to the islands.
What islands?

Tepui tents.

tepui-car-top-tents-gear-patrol.jpeg

Yeah that's really neat. I like the fact that you are still in a tent like thing but off the ground.

In a tent like thing off the ground that will withstand 74 mph winds and is absolutely waterproof.
And even if it's still raining in the morning you can drop the tent and not worry about it being wet because you leave all your bedding inside,

Just as easily as you can suck the chrome off a trailer hitch...
Which begs the question, why pull all that shit behind your vehicle with a chrome trailer hitch only to load it on the roof? :dunno:

Aaaaah Grass Hopper...you have no imagination.
I can put the tent on the roof of my FJ and haul my 19 ft. boat,or I can haul my kayaks on a different trailer,same one I can haul the tent on, and leave the tent on the roof of the FJ. Or I can just bring the tent on the trailer for easy trips.
It opens up a whole world of camping when you have a generator and an A/C unit.
Damn dude. Just buy a fucking cabin by a lake!

Already had two places like that.
This set up is designed to take the wife and I to all corners of the the states in comfort to either find a retirement property or rule out the US and move to the islands.
What islands?

That remains to be seen.
Either S.America or the Carrib.

I've been considering looking around down south but the drug traffickers make me nervous. I love the hawaiian islands, but I would NOT want to be stuck there as a haoli in the case of some global catastrophe.
Costa Rica looks good but again....the thought makes me a tad nervous.

The World’s Best Places to Retire in 2015

I've been considering looking around down south but the drug traffickers make me nervous. I love the hawaiian islands, but I would NOT want to be stuck there as a haoli in the case of some global catastrophe.

I hear ya about haolies. I have a friend who lives in the islands and he said it can be brutal.
With the instabilities in the world right now you're left with few options that are truly viable without detailed research.

Retiring to another cheaper country is the way to go, IMO. What would be considered a modest living here would mean you are RICH in some poor country. Lol. Homework is also important to do in that situation. You must know the laws, etc. I would like to move to another country because it would be cheaper, but I would be afraid of the conditions, the locals and the laws. You just never know, so you have to be really careful.

I hear ya about haolies. I have a friend who lives in the islands and he said it can be brutal.
With the instabilities in the world right now you're left with few options that are truly viable without detailed research.
Very brutal. Oh yes, they are very welcoming and friendly when you arrive. But the day you leave? That's when the real aloha spirit shows itself. "You spent your money to us, now get the fuck out".
And if you can't get out and are stuck there and shit hits the proverbial fan.....You'd be tossed in a volcano or into the sea. Or, allowed to starve to death because they damn sure wouldn't share food with you in the event none is coming in on ships or is locally grown..by hawaiians FOR hawaiians.

Like I said..love that place...but the people are very much like native americans here. Pissed off and want nothing to do with us.

I have a friend that has a home there and goes back and forth from colorado to Maui. She wants to live there permanently but her husband feels as I do...too nervous about being dependent on a bunch of natives that wished you were not there.

I imagine it would be the same in Costa Rica.

Retiring to another cheaper country is the way to go, IMO. What would be considered a modest living here would mean you are RICH in some poor country. Lol. Homework is also important to do in that situation. You must know the laws, etc. I would like to move to another country because it would be cheaper, but I would be afraid of the conditions, the locals and the laws. You just never know, so you have to be really careful.

I know plenty of islands you can live safely...but are you ready to forgo the so called luxuries?
If you want to live like an American and still live cheap it becomes problematic.

I'd like to get a big assed boat. But..I don't know nuttin' about them except where the galley is, lol.
I've always wanted to live off the grid but I am too old now I think. Medical care is the priority now that we are ancient.

I know plenty of islands you can live safely...but are you ready to forgo the so called luxuries?
If you want to live like an American and still live cheap it becomes problematic.

No. I want luxuries. :D I know a person who owns some property in the Dominican Republic. He says he lives like a king when he is there.

I'd like to get a big assed boat. But..I don't know nuttin' about them except where the galley is, lol.
I've always wanted to live off the grid but I am too old now I think. Medical care is the priority now that we are ancient.

Oh I hear ya.
The wife and I just reached our fifties and we're waiting to see how our stocks deliver.
They do well and we head to Shangri-La...they dont and we head towards a weaker version of it.
Either way I'm good.

No. I want luxuries. :D I know a person who owns some property in the Dominican Republic. He says he lives like a king when he is there.

And we go back to the weaker version of Shaingra-la .....the Dominican can be dangerous as hell if you dont have money.

Forum List

Back