Just going to say, being a Christian in 2018 is very difficult.

The two faced politics of the world with so many focusing on harming America and Western liberty (many in positions of power within my own country!). It's turning the other cheek, avoiding mean words to describe certain people and trying NOT to despise them that I am finding increasingly difficult at times.

Thank you for your time.

That is all. As you were.

You must choose between your politics and the teachings that Jesus delivered in the Sermon on the Mount, then all becomes clear. Believing in Jesus and his teachings is different than your politics. Your notions of "harming America and Western liberty" have absolutely nothing to do with the teachings of Jesus. Sometimes they are glaringly inconsistent.

They aren’t inconsistent in the slightest

They are totally inconsistent with the beliefs of the cult that I perceive you to belong to. There have been a lot of cults arising particularly in the southern U.S. states that are not Christian but call themselves that even though they do not follow the teachings of Jesus. Their leaders are people like graham and jeffress and hagee, who are not Christians.

The two faced politics of the world with so many focusing on harming America and Western liberty (many in positions of power within my own country!). It's turning the other cheek, avoiding mean words to describe certain people and trying NOT to despise them that I am finding increasingly difficult at times.

Thank you for your time.

You must choose between your politics and the teachings that Jesus delivered in the Sermon on the Mount, then all becomes clear. Believing in Jesus and his teachings is different than your politics. Your notions of "harming America and Western liberty" have absolutely nothing to do with the teachings of Jesus. Sometimes they are glaringly inconsistent.

They are totally inconsistent with the beliefs of the cult that I perceive you to belong to. There have been a lot of cults arising particularly in the southern U.S. states that are not Christian but call themselves that even though they do not follow the teachings of Jesus. Their leaders are people like graham and jeffress and hagee, who are not Christians.

The bible is already written, I've read both Testaments and listen to them on audiobook now and again. I don't "follow" anyone but what's written. Even when in church, I am there to celebrate my love of God with others, it doesn't mean I follow anyone.

Priests are humans, they can only recite the bible they can't add to it.

Thank you for your time.

The bible is already written, I've read both Testaments and listen to them on audiobook now and again. I don't "follow" anyone but what's written. Even when in church, I am there to celebrate my love of God with others, it doesn't mean I follow anyone.

Do you actually believe that all of the books that the committee included in the bible were written by a Supreme Being and are infallible and inerrant?

Thank you for your time.

Do you actually believe that all of the books that the committee included in the bible were written by a Supreme Being and are infallible and inerrant?

I believe enough historical reference is in the bible to explain Moses, Abel, Job, Jesus and Paul and their life experiences. One has to have Faith, or else life is all chaos and without much purpose.

I don't know what happens when we die anymore than you do. I do know my time on earth isn't infinite, so I'm trying to make the best of it in the face of plenty of cowardly evil by some in positions of power I might add.

Ultimately it could all just be a racket, but there's enough there to confirm my belief.

shockedcanadian said:
It's turning the other cheek, avoiding mean words to describe certain people and trying NOT to despise them that I am finding increasingly difficult at times.

Thank you for your time.

Let's See....
I Worked In The High-End Cabinet And Millwork Industry For Over 15yrs
I've Slopped Pigs, Cattle, Hauled Hay, Stung A Fence Or Two
I'm Not A Half-Bad Truck Gardener Either

Guess If Things Really Got Down To It
If Push Really Came To Shove
I Could Probably Convert To Amish...

Thank you for your time.

No, they are not. Because you think Jesus said give all your money to the government and then the government will redistribute the money to the poor.

Um no, Jesus did not say that. It was a terrible idea then and it's a terrible idea now.

Nobody said "give all your money to the government." And this is not what has been done in the U.S. But helping people who need help is definitely consistent with the teachings of Jesus. Keeping to all to yourself is not.

The people today who loudly advertise that they are Christians, are not Christians.

And you are the judge of this, how? You know what they're giving to the poor how? Are you judging because they oppose policies by which they give "charitably" to the gov't and the gov't redistributes the wealth?
mainly because they bad mouth the needy, the poor, the sick, the stranger, those imprisoned....

if they were giving to the poor/needy etc on their own, they wouldn't be bad mouthing them and putting them down all the time....

Historically speaking ... wasn't it always pretty difficult?

foxes-book-of-martyrs.gif

Katherine Cawches and her daughters? ... French? ... one moment ...

Wikipedia: "The Guernsey Martyrs were three women who were burned at the stake for their Protestant beliefs, in Guernsey, Channel Islands, in 1556 during the Marian persecutions. ...

I read now they were burned from Henry VIII because of heresy against the catholic church in 1556. But Henry VIII was not a Catholic, he was a Protestant on his own. He founded the anglican church in 1534. ... Hmm ... Makes this any sense? The three women were Calvinists.

... I guess I found the political problem: Scotland had been an ally of France and in a war in 154x this alliance was broken and Scotland was conquered from England. And it was not Henry VIII. but Mary I. Tudor, a daughter of Herny VIII., who had governed England from 1553-1558. Her nick name was "Bloody Mary". Nevertheless she was the head of the church of England ...

Last edited:
Except for some of the monkeys here, I have NEVER heard or seen a Christian of any stripe be persecuted or given a hard time about anything. Well, a few people roll their eyes at the women who throw up their arms and holler PRAISE JESUS in our very buttoned up little community church. (They have since formed their own little church that meets in the Town Office, and no one rolls their eyes in FRONT of them.)

Just like the boogeyman that the Right is creating out of the Left, there seems to be an effort here to imagine an enemy where none exists, in order to give believers the glory of battling persecution.

If you guys would simply mind your own faith and let others mind theirs, there would be no clash whatsoever. You are trying to bring your faith into politics and legislate what is right and wrong according to your religion. That is not going to fly because this country was established in definite opposition to mixing church and state. From the shenanigans I see going on here, I can understand why they set it up that way, too.

Wrong. The nation was not founded on "separation of church and state". The nation was founded on neutrality--that is, the nation simply does not take a stance on religion. If your stance is "the separation of church and state" that is in fact a strong stance--it is secularism.

Elected representatives can absolutely take their religious views right into their votes, and so can we. If you don't like that stance, vote for different politicians.
We all take our beliefs with us wherever we go and they form our opinions, so of course I realize that. It does not change my earlier statement. Legislation to force everyone to live in accordance with their religious beliefs is going too far, as in denying homosexuals the right to the civil benefits and protections of marriage.

Um. Moral foundations and to an extent religious beliefs are the very foundation of laws. If you can't call a behavior "wrong", you don't legislate it. Even the value of human life is a moral/religious belief. We don't think our fellow human beings are meat bags walking around, so we believe killing them is wrong. Thus laws about murder. Etc, etc, etc.
Religious beliefs are not the inception of moral foundations. You seem to be implying moral beliefs and religion go hand in hand, they don't. Religion is not needed for morals, and sometimes unfortunately is used for an excuse for poor morals "I prayed and Jesus said all is forgiven".

A religion adopting morals is a good thing, they have nothing to do with it though as they are adopting them. You don't need religion for morals, humans had morals before they invented religions. If they didn't they wouldn't have evolved to what we are today.

Last edited:
Except for some of the monkeys here, I have NEVER heard or seen a Christian of any stripe be persecuted or given a hard time about anything. Well, a few people roll their eyes at the women who throw up their arms and holler PRAISE JESUS in our very buttoned up little community church. (They have since formed their own little church that meets in the Town Office, and no one rolls their eyes in FRONT of them.)

Just like the boogeyman that the Right is creating out of the Left, there seems to be an effort here to imagine an enemy where none exists, in order to give believers the glory of battling persecution.

If you guys would simply mind your own faith and let others mind theirs, there would be no clash whatsoever. You are trying to bring your faith into politics and legislate what is right and wrong according to your religion. That is not going to fly because this country was established in definite opposition to mixing church and state. From the shenanigans I see going on here, I can understand why they set it up that way, too.

Wrong. The nation was not founded on "separation of church and state". The nation was founded on neutrality--that is, the nation simply does not take a stance on religion. If your stance is "the separation of church and state" that is in fact a strong stance--it is secularism.

Elected representatives can absolutely take their religious views right into their votes, and so can we. If you don't like that stance, vote for different politicians.
We all take our beliefs with us wherever we go and they form our opinions, so of course I realize that. It does not change my earlier statement. Legislation to force everyone to live in accordance with their religious beliefs is going too far, as in denying homosexuals the right to the civil benefits and protections of marriage.

Um. Moral foundations and to an extent religious beliefs are the very foundation of laws. If you can't call a behavior "wrong", you don't legislate it. Even the value of human life is a moral/religious belief. We don't think our fellow human beings are meat bags walking around, so we believe killing them is wrong. Thus laws about murder. Etc, etc, etc.
Religious beliefs are not the inception of moral foundations. You seem to be implying moral beliefs and religion go hand in hand, they don't. Religion is not needed for morals, and sometimes unfortunately is used for an excuse for poor morals "I prayed and Jesus said all is forgiven".

A religion adopting morals is a good thing, they have nothing to do with it though as they are adopting them. You don't need religion for morals, humans had morals before they invented religions.

No you don't need to have a religion to adhere to morals, that's true. However you will have a very difficult time justifying your moral beliefs if you don't believe in God. Really, good luck with that.

They hated Him first. You know that's in the Bible, right?
How does that have anything to do with my comment?

The very message of the Cross offends and people will hate us for proclaiming it.

"For the message of the Cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God."--1 Corinthians 1:18

"If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated Me first."--John 15:18
NO! Believe what you want but leave me out of it.

Okay I don't believe taking all the stuff in your house is wrong. I will take it, but I won't force you to believe what I believe while I make off with all your stuff.

Gee, that was easy.

PS While you're at it, will you clean out your 401K? all right thanks
You're kinda the poster child for this unlikeability thing huh.

Poor baby when your arguments fail you have just sad ad hominems eh? Kinda like when you and Jakey didn't like my syntax and ganged up to decide I was a foreigner. Those were good times.

humans had morals before they invented religions.

I'm pretty sure religion has been with us longer than codified ethics. It started the night some enterprising tribesman told his fellows that if they give him half the tribe's silver he can appeal to the animal spirits for a good hunt.

I'm pretty sure religion has been with us longer than codified ethics. It started the night some enterprising tribesman told his fellows that if they give him half the tribe's silver he can appeal to the animal spirits for a good hunt.

Frankly that's facile and stupid.

The first example we have a codified system of ethical behaviour is The Code of Hammurabi from 1754 BCE. Followed quickly by Torah in 1312 BCE. Both of these were probably derived from an older oral tradition.

But, shamans and holy men have been around since the time of pre-history.

A religion adopting morals is a good thing, they have nothing to do with it though as they are adopting them. You don't need religion for morals, humans had morals before they invented religions.

No you don't need to have a religion to adhere to morals, that's true. However you will have a very difficult time justifying your moral beliefs if you don't believe in God. Really, good luck with that.
I do believe in God, I'm a Deist. If you need religion some imperfect humans came up with to believe in God, good luck with that.

What religion does God endorse in your mind? All? Some? Tell me about it.

That is a good argument that religion goes back as far as the first modern humans. I think humans needed morals or ethics to survive before learning to take advantage of it with religion.

I do believe in God, I'm a Deist. If you need religion some imperfect humans came up with to believe in God, good luck with that.

I needn't tell you--you're already a perfect god in your own mind. Your deist god is not perfect, he made stuff and left. Religion is not perfect. Humans are not perfect, except for you, of course--you've got it all figured out, and can tell the rest of us about it.

Idolatry, as old as humanity. You just gave it a new name.

I needn't tell you--you're already a perfect god in your own mind. Your deist god is not perfect, he made stuff and left. Religion is not perfect. Humans are not perfect, except for you, of course--you've got it all figured out, and can tell the rest of us about it.

I don't have a Deist God, I just believe there is God. I also don't think God "made stuff and left".

You are free to think I am "God in my own mind" for expressing my opinion; I hope you hold this standard to religions that preach their version of beliefs and try to convert people to their way as well.

I don't have a Deist God, I just believe there is God. I also don't think God "made stuff and left".

You are free to think I am "God in my own mind" for expressing my opinion; I hope you hold this standard to religions that preach their version of beliefs and try to convert people to their way as well.

Of course that's what a deist god did. He created and left--he is unconcerned with the world and you in it, so you are free to be your own little god or big god, whatever kind of god you want to be for yourself.

And I don't think you're your own god for professing an opinion; I think you are your own god for essentially telling everyone else they're stupid for having theirs. It's the arrogance of your opinion that's the idolatry.

Thank you for your time.

Stuff them; this "turn the other cheek" does NOT include laying down and taking it. Justice DEMANDS action. The Crusades were something to model ourselves on.

Greg

Forum List

Back