JT Barrett was NOT drafted by NFL

ShootSpeeders

Gold Member
May 13, 2012
Greatest QB is Big Ten history but the experts say he's too short. Last time i checked, both his feet reached the ground! I've seen him listed at 6 1 and also at 6 2.

Ohio State’s J.T. Barrett was not drafted, but 13 quarterbacks were

april 30 2018 We Ohio State fans are a fickle group. For the last four years, a certain segment of Buckeye Nation has wanted anyone other than J.T. Barrett to play quarterback for OSU. However, as other— less accomplished— QBs started hearing their names called in last week’s NFL Draft, with nary a mention of Barrett, nearly all Buckeyes got a bit defensive.

It was especially bad when word came out that Barrett had not even been able to sign a contract as an undrafted free agent, but instead had accepted a mini-camp tryout with the New Orleans Saints; yet another slap in the face for the most productive QB in Big Ten history.

Those that have watched Barrett play over the last four years are well aware of all of his insane accomplishments, as well as what he does and doesn’t do well.

I don’t think that Barrett will ever be a full-time starter in the NFL, but there’s no doubt that the way that the position is played in the league is changing. So, when you realize that the last seven QBs taken were all taller than Barrett by an average of 2.3 inches, I don’t think it is inappropriate to wonder if his height was the deciding factor in him not getting selected, despite shorter signal callers having success in recent years.

Barrett clearly had a better resume than everyone not taken in the first round, and many of the guys that went late had just as many skill and technique red flags as Barrett did. So did his less than statuesque stature make a difference?

Or, was it the fact that the NFL execs had a bit too much information on the legendary Ohio State quarterback? Had Barrett been in the spotlight for so long that the mystery had worn off? Was there no more “up side” for a guy that scouts had seen play in major games for four years?

He wasn't drafted, but he has now signed with the Saints.

He will play in the NFL. Whether he works as a backup or third string while he works on his game is the question. He has the drive and leadership. But the NFL drafts based on athletic talent. For QBs they look at passing skills (accuracy) and decision making. That is where Barrett falls short of the other QBs that were drafted.

Greatest QB is Big Ten history but the experts say he's too short. Last time i checked, both his feet reached the ground! I've seen him listed at 6 1 and also at 6 2.

april 30 2018 We Ohio State fans are a fickle group. For the last four years, a certain segment of Buckeye Nation has wanted anyone other than J.T. Barrett to play quarterback for OSU. However, as other— less accomplished— QBs started hearing their names called in last week’s NFL Draft, with nary a mention of Barrett, nearly all Buckeyes got a bit defensive.

It was especially bad when word came out that Barrett had not even been able to sign a contract as an undrafted free agent, but instead had accepted a mini-camp tryout with the New Orleans Saints; yet another slap in the face for the most productive QB in Big Ten history.

Those that have watched Barrett play over the last four years are well aware of all of his insane accomplishments, as well as what he does and doesn’t do well.

I don’t think that Barrett will ever be a full-time starter in the NFL, but there’s no doubt that the way that the position is played in the league is changing. So, when you realize that the last seven QBs taken were all taller than Barrett by an average of 2.3 inches, I don’t think it is inappropriate to wonder if his height was the deciding factor in him not getting selected, despite shorter signal callers having success in recent years.

Barrett clearly had a better resume than everyone not taken in the first round, and many of the guys that went late had just as many skill and technique red flags as Barrett did. So did his less than statuesque stature make a difference?

Or, was it the fact that the NFL execs had a bit too much information on the legendary Ohio State quarterback? Had Barrett been in the spotlight for so long that the mystery had worn off? Was there no more “up side” for a guy that scouts had seen play in major games for four years?
He consistantly over throws, I can see that as a worry. Taking off is not a way to make a living in the NFL. No one wants a billion dollars in a guy that is going to take that kind of beating. It is why we have seen the draft stock of the running back plumet. I think they went to far with the RB thing. I have to belive there is an Emmit Smith out there. The Boys were pretty bad ass with him in the line up!

He consistantly over throws, I can see that as a worry. Taking off is not a way to make a living in the NFL. No one wants a billion dollars in a guy that is going to take that kind of beating. It is why we have seen the draft stock of the running back plumet. I think they went to far with the RB thing. I have to belive there is an Emmit Smith out there. The Boys were pretty bad ass with him in the line up!

The problem with Barrett taking off instead of passing is that he is not that fast. He ran the 40 in 4.7 at the combine.

Another thing, you think Barrett was the best QB in the Big 10? You claim he is better than Drew Brees or Tommy Frazier?

The reason he broke all the records is that he was around so long. He played through his senior year.

That should be a warning sign.

No, JT can't throw, he can scramble a bit, but really is not all that fast either.

He is a leader, which is why I see him soon becoming a coach.

The only reason OSU beat Michigan last year is that JT got hurt and put another back up in. They then took the lead.

In fact, OSU would never have beaten Alabama not long ago had JT not gotten injured and forced to end his season.

It is my contention that had JT been benched, OSU would have made the playoffs last year.

With JT, you just load the box and make him thrown. Nothing to it.

There have been 1NFL QB produced in he Urban Meyer system of offense. Alex Smith. Braxton Miller was a better QB. Meyer is a spread option coach and really emphasizes on the QB run game. Ask Tebow. And then really, when has a QB from Ohio State done anything in the pros? As for the greatest QB in Big 10 history, Drew Brees. If you look to Ohio State for pros look to the defense. My boy the great Jack Tatum, played for the Buckeyes.

The reason he broke all the records is that he was around so long. He played through his senior year.

That should be a warning sign.

No, JT can't throw, he can scramble a bit, but really is not all that fast either.

He is a leader, which is why I see him soon becoming a coach.

The only reason OSU beat Michigan last year is that JT got hurt and put another back up in. They then took the lead.

In fact, OSU would never have beaten Alabama not long ago had JT not gotten injured and forced to end his season.

It is my contention that had JT been benched, OSU would have made the playoffs last year.

With JT, you just load the box and make him thrown. Nothing to it.

They would have lost to OU and Penn State had Barret not played. They were not good enough to make the playoffs last year..

Forum List

Back