Joel Osteen

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
WHAT'S THE PROBLEM WITH JOEL OSTEEN? » PhilipWagner.com

Arrogance is hard to see in the mirror.

I don’t know that those who have spoken from arrogance would apologize or recognize their error – but I’m hoping that you, the reader, will be more aware of what is appropriate and Christ-like.

Christians – Please!! Don’t follow this example and criticize publically those ministers whose methods you don’t agree with or understand.

Leaders – this has got to stop. Please, Please – it’s NOT your job to judge everyone publically.

Let’s encourage each other, let’s pray for one another and teach those you influence to have more grace.

It is difficult enough to be a minister because of the challenges we face – the spiritual warfare we encounter! We don’t need our own Christian brothers needlessly attacking.

We need to preach about what we are FOR not what we are AGAINST.

Excellent article, and makes a point that I have been making over and over for the past many years.

I just became aware of him fairly recently. I don't get an "ick" feeling from him. I like him, actually. I think he, from what I have read and heard of him so far, that he is a true Christian. Kind, caring, understanding, not pushy, and is very charismatic in what he says.

• Banned
I just became aware of him fairly recently. I don't get an "ick" feeling from him. I like him, actually. I think he, from what I have read and heard of him so far, that he is a true Christian. Kind, caring, understanding, not pushy, and is very charismatic in what he says.

If he is how you perceive him, then he would remind me of Pastor Dave from Church of the Open Door.

http://www.thedoor.org/news/documents/LeadershipJohnson.pdf

I usually don't pay attention to pastors/preachers/reverends/etc.
I have had really bad experiences with most when I was a kid. So when I grew up, I avoided any church and anyone who claimed they were Christian because to me...they didn't act very christianish in my opinion. And I met A LOT in my line of work. Shudder. But this guy, Olsteen? I get a different vibe from him. But it remains to be seen how I will feel about him later on. Usually when someone is too good to be true, it's a let down. So I don't let anyone get close enough to let me down.

Jim Baker was/is a psychopath. There's something good and genuine about Joel. I don't watch him all the time but when I do, he always talks about something that's been on my mind. It's almost as if I am supposed to be listening at that moment..

I like the guy.

Jim Baker didn't want to make me want to scrub off and sit rocking in the shower for an hour.

Joel Osteen was born in Texas and has an estimated net worth of $40 million dollars. A pastor, author, and televangelist, Joel Osteen is the pastor of Lakewood Church in Houston, Texas. He took over his father's role as a pastor and televangelist, despite having very little formal religious training, in 1999. Since then, the Lakewood Church broadcast has grown exponentially and can be seen in 100 different countries.

Joel Osteen Net Worth | Celebrity Net Worth

I don’t know that those who have spoken from arrogance would apologize or recognize their error – but I’m hoping that you, the reader, will be more aware of what is appropriate and Christ-like.

Christians – Please!! Don’t follow this example and criticize publically those ministers whose methods you don’t agree with or understand.

Leaders – this has got to stop. Please, Please – it’s NOT your job to judge everyone publically.

Let’s encourage each other, let’s pray for one another and teach those you influence to have more grace.

It is difficult enough to be a minister because of the challenges we face – the spiritual warfare we encounter! We don’t need our own Christian brothers needlessly attacking.

Excellent article, and makes a point that I have been making over and over for the past many years.

He is a motivational speaker. My pastor friend watched him and he never once opened the Bible.

More people would speak out about him but these ministries are run like corporations and they have lawyers who would take everything you've got from you.

Defending success and fame: Joel Osteen says he is keeping the faith | PennLive.com

I don't think he's anything like Bakker. He doesn't ask for money on TV, he doesn't accept a salary from his church.

He has six books, which continue to sell well, and he's made investments.

He gives millions to charity, and he doesn't live a celebrity lifestyle.

Frankly, I think he's one of the good guys, and I think he is being blessed.

That was a good article, BD Boop!

For the record, I don't know much about Osteen - I've never read his books; I've listened to one sermon he gave and I thought it was sort of 'fluffy', but I also realize that is my own personal opinion on the matter.

But, addressing the points the article made? The Book says quite a bit on this subject - it says you know who the Christians are by their love for each other. It says not to bite on each other. And all the other things the article mentioned. I also think this would be the place to mention how very little requirement there is to be a Christian in the Book - quite unlike the additions churches have put on the matter.

So, I agree! If someone find another's theology or methods not to their liking? Put your own out in the marketplace of ideas rather than attacking.

None of this is to say I think debate is bad - it's not. The church grows when people come together and pray, discuss, talk. But that is not what I see - many times, it is more along the lines of sheer arrogance with a good dose of hateful behavior included.

Thanks for putting up the article. I enjoyed reading it.

K

Last edited:
Defending success and fame: Joel Osteen says he is keeping the faith | PennLive.com

I don't think he's anything like Bakker. He doesn't ask for money on TV, he doesn't accept a salary from his church.

He has six books, which continue to sell well, and he's made investments.

He gives millions to charity, and he doesn't live a celebrity lifestyle.

Frankly, I think he's one of the good guys, and I think he is being blessed.

God is good to His people, but “my feet had almost stumbled, my steps had nearly slipped. For I was envious of the arrogant when I saw the prosperity of the wicked” (Ps 73:2-3.)

This is really interesting. He says that “almost stumbled”… his “steps had nearly slipped.” This makes it sound like he almost sinned… but didn’t. Yet, at the same time, we are told that he did fall into sin. He became “envious” of the arrogant and the wicked. He coveted the prosperity of the wicked… and covetousness is a sin (Exodus 20:17.) He saw what they had and he wanted it for himself. This is sin. It is failing to be content with what God has given us.

Why Do the Wicked Prosper While God?s People Suffer??? ? Psalm 73 | Ramblin' Pastor Man

We recently hosted Hank Hanegraaff (The Bible Answerman) at SMCC. He has some very helpful insights (here and here) into Joel Osteen's confused views of faith, doctrine and Scripture:

Joel Osteen and Prosperity Gospel

The Prosperity Gospel is much like all other religions in that it uses faith, it uses doing good things to leverage material blessings from God. Essentially, use God to get things from God.

"God has already done everything He's going to do. The ball is now in your court. If you want success, if you want wisdom, if you want to be prosperous and healthy, you're going to have to do more than meditate and believe; you must boldly declare words of faith and victory over yourself and your family" From Your Best Life Now, p.132

"If you are believing for your child to find God, go help somebody else's child to develop a relationship with God. If you're struggling financially, go out and help somebody who has less than you have ... f you want to reap financial blessings, you must sow financial seeds in the lives of others ... If you want to see healing and restoration come to your life, go out and help somebody else get well" From Your Best Life Now, pp. 224, 250-51

This is not the Gospel. This is a false Gospel. Joel teaches that we open ourselves to God to get more from God. He teaches that we use our words to speak into existence a better reality. This straight from the Word of Faith Movement. This is not what is taught throughout the New Testament. Consider what the Apostle Paul wrote. And remember that he wrote this while in prison.

Philippians 4:10-13 I rejoiced greatly in the Lord that at last you renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you were concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength.

The False Promise of the Prosperity Gospel: Why I Called Out Joel Osteen and Joyce Meyer | Pastor Rick Henderson

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLRue4nwJaA&feature=player_embedded]John Piper - Why I abominate the prosperity gospel - YouTube[/ame]

That was a good article, BD Boop!

For the record, I don't know much about Osteen - I've never read his books; I've listened to one sermon he gave and I thought it was sort of 'fluffy', but I also realize that is my own personal opinion on the matter.

But, addressing the points the article made? The Book says quite a bit on this subject - it says you know who the Christians are by their love for each other. It says not to bite on each other. And all the other things the article mentioned. I also think this would be the place to mention how very little requirement there is to be a Christian in the Book - quite unlike the additions churches have put on the matter.

So, I agree! If someone find another's theology or methods not to their liking? Put your own out in the marketplace of ideas rather than attacking.

None of this is to say I think debate is bad - it's not. The church grows when people come together and pray, discuss, talk. But that is not what I see - many times, it is more along the lines of sheer arrogance with a good dose of hateful behavior included.

Thanks for putting up the article. I enjoyed reading it.

K

Good! I'm glad you did. Here's more information.

Joel Osteen: By the numbers and other interesting facts | PennLive.com

For one thing, this isn't a 'gimme' situation.

He has had six best sellers, one for over 200 weeks. I don't know if those iPod downloads cost money, and then he saves and invests (for his children.)

After I got done with the Pentecostal church, I realized that what was missing there was joy. A lightness of spirit.

I think that is what Joel discusses. I am going to learn some more.

Pastor John Piper makes a good argument against prosperity teachers. There are 1500 people groups that no one has gone to that have no hope because your children will get disease, your wife will get raped and you might get butchered. When the prosperity gospel says you are supposed to be rich and well, are you going to go to those people? I dont think so either.

You don't go where it is impossible to deal with reality.

One pastor I knew taught that the best prosperity comes through the prospering of your spirit as you try to live as Christ would want you to live. He said whenever you run into monetary prosperity preachers, put your hand over your wallet and back away, quickly.

I know very little of the Osteens. When exposed to the ministry, the spirit gave me no indication that was something I would prosper by.

For those who do and prosper thereby with the Osteens, good for you.

He is a motivational speaker. My pastor friend watched him and he never once opened the Bible.

More people would speak out about him but these ministries are run like corporations and they have lawyers who would take everything you've got from you.

I like him and may start watching him regularly. I am more interested in his missive, than his background.

Joel Osteen... I watch him now and then and have always found him to be up-lifting and someone I believe is on the level. I like him. I think he's one of the "good guys".

Forum List

Back